Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:02:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is a better store of value than Gold on the long term  (Read 2130 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:46:45 PM

it seems pretty strait forward to send a rocket up into space to attach its self to an asteroid inorder to nudge it in just the right direction so that it crashes into your property here on earth.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 07:17:24 PM

Ah well, I'd say that if the market was free and allowed to find an honest value, almost any gold jewelry could come back onto the market. Physical gold is in strong hands at todays artificially low prices, much of that won't be coming back any time soon.

So what industrial processes use up 30% of the gold? You got my curiosity there.  

Well if you have a gold ring, you most likely sell it as a ring, at 300% it's physical value. But I guess that's of how much the prices would rise if you are implying artificially low prices.

I think the largest demand for gold in industry are contacts and switches in electronics, those aren't really dependent, it just happens to be the most sensible material for it.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 08:20:16 PM

Ah well, I'd say that if the market was free and allowed to find an honest value, almost any gold jewelry could come back onto the market. Physical gold is in strong hands at todays artificially low prices, much of that won't be coming back any time soon.

So what industrial processes use up 30% of the gold? You got my curiosity there.   

Well if you have a gold ring, you most likely sell it as a ring, at 300% it's physical value. But I guess that's of how much the prices would rise if you are implying artificially low prices.

I think the largest demand for gold in industry are contacts and switches in electronics, those aren't really dependent, it just happens to be the most sensible material for it.

The poor sods who are selling their jewelry at 'cash for gold' shops might not be getting quite that high a markup.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: