Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 06:15:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a good flight to safety?  (Read 606 times)
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:14:19 PM

I haven't looked much into tether, but I've read that it is "verifiablely" backed by $1 cash per each tether issued.  I'm not sure how such a thing is proven, though, even the reports I've read say the accounting is certified, but I'm not sure I entirely trust that.  I've read that Tether is supposed to move to an ERC20 token at some point, as well, not that it changes my opinion for the better or worse ... just a side note.  It does seem to be the most stable coin through recent declines, though.  

There is also DigixDOA, which is supposedly backed by 1 gram of gold per Digix, but that hasn't handled the recent down turns with the stability I'd expect from an asset that is backed by gold.  Unfortunately, I think those may be your only options if you want to keep your money in the cyrpto world during a crash.  Hopefully well get more options.  

Nothing is proven or guaranteed with tether. Maybe they'll come up with some evidence but until then you're having to trust bitfinex who do not deserve any trust.

And why would anyone choose another crappy coin no one's heard of with alleged backing?

As a true safe haven no crypto cuts it. End of.
Cryptoraptor

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:14:01 PM

Bitcoin is sometimes touted as a flight to safety, but what I'm interested to learn is, if you feel the BTC market is due for a correction, what would your choice be for shelter from the storm, that allowed you to quickly get back in the market when you feel the bottom is in?

In the country I stay in they put severe capital controls on limiting the amount of money that can exit the system (conveniently they have no restriction on how much you can bring in).

I was thinking of something like Tether, but it doesn't appear to have much traction, and the hardware wallets that I have (Trezor and a couple of Ledgers) don't support it so far as I know.

So if you have more coins than you are comfortable parking on an exchange (essentially, any amount above zero for me), and you wanted to go to something with low volatility for a few days/weeks/months, what would be your choice?

Diversify your portfolio with some staking coins, buy gold and silver, or just hold (paper wallet).  No need to move it unless you might need the liquidity on short notice.  

If you have some staking coins you can take the profits and roll them into BTC as they stake or just let the magic of compound interest do its thing.

Edit:

If you just want to keep your BTC off an exchange then something like Bitkee might be an option - bitkee.com
piloder
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 05:33:14 AM

If you just want to keep your BTC off an exchange then something like Bitkee might be an option - bitkee.com
Haven't heard about them before, price looks quite expensive and similar to other hardware wallets which have better functionality and security.

Trezor and ledger nano seems best option for hardware wallet right now.

bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 08:05:53 PM

Haven't heard about them before, price looks quite expensive and similar to other hardware wallets which have better functionality and security.

Trezor and ledger nano seems best option for hardware wallet right now.

Ledger Nano S has a long waiting que. They notify the customers that shipping is about 1 month from the order, mine has been shipped 6 (!) weeks after the order, and I was happy, because I was expected much longer waiting period, despite of the official communication... I have no information about Trezor, but in February, March, they had also this backorder and were shipping after 1 month.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: