Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 07:45:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Etherium hard fork possibly today???  (Read 1240 times)
Poink (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 122

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 11:31:08 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2017, 11:41:09 AM by Poink

So Metropolis Byzantium update  might go live next month and as a prep, some Chinese miners/investors are forcing a possible sudden ETH hard fork, possibly as early as today.  

Chinese again...why am I not surprised?

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

EDIT:  Add source.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/6ywlxg/update_from_todays_ethereum_core_dev_call_for/
bouldou

Activity: 403
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 11:36:30 AM

Give us your source... Never heard of that elsewhere. Hard fork of Ethereum would be HUGE news and everybody would be talking about it

But that would be great for me as I have Etherum in my wallet Cheesy

Vous voulez une Lambo ? Investissez dans le YENTEN : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2706079.0
hyperdak

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 11:42:41 AM

never hear about this.
it is a huge NEWS in Etherium.
PandoraTV

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 11:59:01 AM

I guess later today we'll discover if this rumour has any base.
dikan

Activity: 270
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 12:00:44 PM

How mining at etherium? Huh
leslie4u

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 12:27:25 PM

Wow!!

Really, ETH will undergo hard fork today? I mean I knew they were suppose to hop over to POS but that wasn't suppose to take place anytime soon.

To be honest, I would like to wait till the end of the day and see what happens next.

Will keep an eye on this thread for sure.
Katalyst

Activity: 21

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 12:28:52 PM

I seriously doubt a hardfork will happen out of the blue.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 12:34:30 PM

Give us your source... Never heard of that elsewhere. Hard fork of Ethereum would be HUGE news and everybody would be talking about it

But that would be great for me as I have Etherum in my wallet Cheesy

This has been in the know for months for anyone that has been paying attention to the Ethereum development.

The explaination is rather simple: Ethereum will undergo a big change, particularly it will go from PoW to PoS amongst other things in the hardfork.

As always, some people is against these hardforks, which means, we can end up effectively (if there is enough hashrate and enough liquidity and I predict it will) with up to 4, yes, four Ethereums! Imagine the clusterfuck.

Hopefully Segwit2x camps learns something from what's coming to Ethereum so we can avoid ending up with 3 Bitcoins by November.
shyliar

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 12:46:53 PM

I suppose replay protection is included this time. Since they have had well over a year to prepare for it.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 12:50:55 PM

So Metropolis Byzantium update  might go live next month and as a prep, some Chinese miners/investors are forcing a possible sudden ETH hard fork, possibly as early as today. 
no miner wants this fork!

do you know what this fork does? it puts an end to mining by changing ETH! that means all the investment these miners have made in their mining rigs is down the toilet because they can no longer mine it.

do you still think miners are pushing for this fork?

the fork in general is a very bad thing in my opinion. first of all it is changing ETH fundamentally and that is always bringing unexpected things which are not good.
on top of it, this fork will make the rich super rich. meaning the devs who hold 72 million premined coins will become super rich by staking their coins and doing absolutely nothing.

in other words ethereum will become less and less fair every day.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
Poink (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 01:13:47 PM

So Metropolis Byzantium update  might go live next month and as a prep, some Chinese miners/investors are forcing a possible sudden ETH hard fork, possibly as early as today.  

do you know what this fork does? it puts an end to mining by changing ETH! that means all the investment these miners have made in their mining rigs is down the toilet because they can no longer mine it.

the fork in general is a very bad thing in my opinion. first of all it is changing ETH fundamentally and that is always bringing unexpected things which are not good.
on top of it, this fork will make the rich super rich. meaning the devs who hold 72 million premined coins will become super rich by staking their coins and doing absolutely nothing.

I think you got it backwards on miners.  They are the one who are pushing for it because ETH is about to run out and the reason why it is being converted to POS (vs POW).  There is hardly any left to mine so what do they do?  Create a fork that have enough supply they can mine for the next several decades.

The pre-mined portion stinks like shit to me...and I agree with you.
RoommateAgreement

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

Bazinga!

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 01:23:56 PM

I think you got it backwards on miners.  They are the one who are pushing for it because ETH is about to run out and the reason why it is being converted to POS (vs POW).  There is hardly any left to mine so what do they do?  Create a fork that have enough supply they can mine for the next several decades.

unlike most other altcoins, ethereum never had any cap. any decent way of distribution like halving and other stuff. the block rewards is still as high as ever. it will never run out. as long as PoW is alive and the difficulty bomb has not gone off, the blocks will give the same amount of reward as before.

one of the criticisms to ETH is exactly this fact that there has never been any cap. or any clear plans! it just keeps being created.

Buying the dip...
Pasutinmeur

Activity: 302

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 01:27:05 PM

So Metropolis Byzantium update  might go live next month and as a prep, some Chinese miners/investors are forcing a possible sudden ETH hard fork, possibly as early as today. 

Just like what already happened with the bitcoin, Your word is also related to the bitcoin too, but why are you not trying to prevent the bitcoin fork? Rome wasn't built just in a day.
But i thanks for the bitcoin fork to make my self become more rich caused by the free bucks from bitcoin cash.  Roll Eyes

OIKOS.CASH      Decentralized finance on Tron   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Collateral-backed stable-coins
         github  telegram    twitter    discord           synthetic asset trading and trustless token exchange on TRON
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 03:30:55 PM

Well this is an obvious realization that I didn't mention and a lot of people is not realizing as well: Once the PoW to PoS change happens, all of the current hashrate invested in Ethereum (ETH) is going to be going somewhere else... this is an interesting speculation: where the hashrate will go at? It's obvious they aren't going to sell all that gear so it's an allocation of hashrate that's comming and pretty big.

According to this, ETH uses "Ethash", what the hell is that?

I hope the gear that is used to be mined for ETH can be used somewhere else, otherwise it is a disaster, all the miners mining ETH will be forced to sell their gear.
Poink (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 03:48:22 PM

I hope the gear that is used to be mined for ETH can be used somewhere else, otherwise it is a disaster, all the miners mining ETH will be forced to sell their gear.

While there are video cards that are "specialized" I believe most can be easily re-directed to mine other coins.  Most don't want change since the current set-up payment is good.

I know a little about this because we also mine a little with 2 rigs.
Kaffo

Activity: 39

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 03:58:09 PM

Probably after October 9
MV7

Activity: 322
Merit: 107

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:06:51 PM

Today? I'm pretty doubtful anything will happen soon, or it would have been huge news here.

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
senin

Activity: 938
Merit: 137

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:11:02 PM

If the etherium stops producing because of holding a rigid fork, this, in my opinion, will lead to an increase in its price due to the fact that it, as well as bitcoin, will gain more function as a way of accumulating value instead of a payment function. Let's see what happens with the etherium after that.
energycom

Activity: 172

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:11:21 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/6ywlxg/update_from_todays_ethereum_core_dev_call_for/

If this is true, it's good news. China likes manipulative actions so that they think they can manage the market. They won't be doing something dangerous for ether. They're also holding great amount of it.
Poink (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:18:02 PM

If this is true, it's good news. China likes manipulative actions so that they think they can manage the market. They won't be doing something dangerous for ether. They're also holding great amount of it.

China makes the most out of mining so it is their bread and butter and understandably protecting it.  They are doing this because ETH is about to exhaust supply.  Same with BTC and payout is getting less because of increased difficulty.

This is the part I dislike about mineable coins, they just keep forking to keep "work".
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: