Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:01:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How long before a transaction with no fees go through?  (Read 656 times)
Yuri. (OP)

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 01:33:06 AM

I've just sent a 2.99 BTC using electrum, and it apparently has a bug where it's on the lite mode it doesn't include any transaction fee at all
I'll e-mail them about this bug later, but now I'm worried that my coins be stuck in limbo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kaepora

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 02:50:29 AM

I've just sent a 2.99 BTC using electrum, and it apparently has a bug where it's on the lite mode it doesn't include any transaction fee at all
I'll e-mail them about this bug later, but now I'm worried that my coins be stuck in limbo

I have heard some people say 3 days and the worst I have heard is almost a week
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 02:56:45 AM

It really depends on the specifics of your transaction.

How many bytes?

How many bitcoins in the smallest output?

How many confirmations do the inputs have?

If you can post the transactionID or the bitcoin address, it would help to tell you more about it.
Yuri. (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 04:27:29 AM

How many bytes?

If you can post the transactionID or the bitcoin address, it would help to tell you more about it.
Here it is
93ffbc1b96cab642f0ac5c4b4b19ba3253fc28d2ab1516a367222d0e25631954

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 04:50:13 AM

How many bytes?

why do I know your name, Danny, do you own a website somewhere?

No, I don't, but both "Danny" and "Hamilton" are very common names.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 04:52:39 AM

Here it is
93ffbc1b96cab642f0ac5c4b4b19ba3253fc28d2ab1516a367222d0e25631954

Hmm.  I don't see that transaction on the network at all.  I don't think many peers are relaying it.  You might need to find someone from the Electrum forum that can help you remove the transaction from your wallet so you can re-send it.
Coldfats

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 08:16:45 AM

Where do these transaction fees go to exactly?
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 08:40:22 AM

To the miners or mining pools who solve the current block. That is their incentive to process/verify transactions.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Coldfats

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 03:48:19 PM

To the miners or mining pools who solve the current block. That is their incentive to process/verify transactions.

I thought that their incentive was the chance to discover a new block of bitcoins?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 04:00:44 PM

I thought that their incentive was the chance to discover a new block of bitcoins?

No. That's just the incentive to create blocks, but the miner gets to choose which transactions to include in the block.  If you are a miner and you can choose to either confirm the transactions that will pay you 0.0005 BTC, or the transactions that will pay you 0.0 BTC, which transactions are you going to choose to include in the block that you are working on?

Space in the block is limited, so if I were a miner, I'd choose the transactions that paid me the highest fees per byte.

Now if there is still some space left in the block after I've already included all the fee paying transactions, then I might fill in the rest of the space with free transactions since it doesn't really cost me any more to include them and doing so increases the popularity of the bitcoin system as a whole.  Any free transactions that don't fit in the block once it is full will just have to wait for a later block.  If there are a lot of fee paying transactions, then the free ones might have to wait a long time for the transaction activity to drop to a point where there is room for them.
Coldfats

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 04:09:57 PM

Ahhhhhh. I see.

Is the block choosing process automatic or manual?

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 04:15:16 PM

Ahhhhhh. I see.

Many miners and pools use Bitcoin-Qt (or bitcoind) to create the blocks.  In that case it is automatic.  It is possible to write your own program for building blocks (which some pools have done).  If you use a custom program for building blocks, then you can control what criteria are used for selecting the transactions.
Coldfats

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 04:17:43 PM

Ahhhhhh. I see.

Many miners and pools use Bitcoin-Qt (or bitcoind) to create the blocks.  In that case it is automatic.  It is possible to write your own program for building blocks (which some pools have done).  If you use a custom program for building blocks, then you can control what criteria are used for selecting the transactions.

Thanks! Appreciate it!
Yuri. (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 04:50:00 PM

Opened the wallet again and the transaction was gone, but it still said I had no funds to complete de transfer. I closed it again, opened and quickly resent, with the transfer fee included.
And the coins were transfered.

What a weird bug, I will no longer use electrum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: