Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:17:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Xubuntu not recognising mouse or network - help!  (Read 2080 times)
batman, not crabman (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 03:01:31 AM

Hey guys,

I have 4 x 6950s running (well...not really or I wouldn't be here) on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 motherboard, it has worked previously but with some stability problems.  Cgminer kept blue screening on close/restart in Windows 7, so using cgwatcher to fix sick/dead cpus caused the pc to crash. After that it would lock on booting and then require a further restart to boot. I tried reinstalling, now it crashes instantly on starting cgminer (tried 3.01 and 2.11.3 also 12.8, 13.1, 13.4 and 13.5 beta AMD drivers).  I've tried BAMT and won't boot with all four cards plugged in (works with one though) so now I'm trying Xubuntu 12.04 which is supposed to be easy.

But...when the installer runs it doesn't pick up my usb mouse (I tried 2, they both work in the bios) or my usb 3 drive (which is where I want to install it).  I tried plugging in a hard drive but it had some error about creating a partition.  Also it won't connect to the network (Realtek chipset I think).

This is beyond a joke now, I can't do anything without a mouse and I can't update anything or mine without internet.  Please help me Sad I'm not a linux expert so any help needs to be clearly explained.

Thanks

A horse walks into a bar and the barman says "Give me some Bitcoin!"
17TDYWdeL3GU2fsMSpV7itLYS2UJ91dCDx
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:31:11 PM

When the first menu comes up, asking whether you want to install Xubuntu, try it without installing, or do a bunch of rescue stuff... have you tried just running it without installing? Does it pick up your mouse and usb drive then?

When you're trying it out, you should also be able to see the Network Manager icon in the system tray (bottom right of desktop). It'll tell you about any available networks. Are you going wireless?

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
batman, not crabman (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:22:08 AM

Got it working - turns out it's a common problem with my MB that only the USB3 ports work :/

I've gone back to Winblows for the time being./

Thanks.

Leon D

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:08:18 PM

Hey bud,
I'm running the same MB on my rig and had the exact problem with the latest release of xubuntu.  Didn't know about the USB3 problem though, that's good to know.  Running windows 7 now and experiencing the same blue screen crashes with cgminer.  Have you figured out how to stabilize the program?
batman, not crabman (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:10:57 AM

I 'acquired' Win7 ultimate and installed the 32bit version (had 64bit last time and it crashed).  Just go to that big torrent site and it's the one with the highest seeds if you search for 'Windows 7' then installed only:

Realtek network drivers (latest from GB website as the network didn't work first boot)
AMD Drivers version 11.11 (don't ask me why, read somewhere they can be a little quicker but not really imo). I didn't install all the other crap like the AMD transcoding software.
Windows Security Essentials (latest version)
cgminer 3.11
GPU-Z
NOTHING ELSE (e.g. no SP1, no .NET...)

I TURNED OFF automatic updates.  So Windows is miles out of date but if it's a dedicated mining pc it should be ok I think.
I had cgminer running 36 hours with no issues (without overclocking).  However it took a little bit of effort as one of my cards keeps crashing with intensity above 15.
I have 4 x 6950s, all different brands.

Hope that helps!

pccs

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:49:32 PM

Yep, it's all in the BIOS. Straight out of the box that motherboard would not even boot from my usb drive or recognize the mouse and keyboard. I think it started to boot from the USB drive then it would hang with no kbd or mouse.

There's at least 2 places in the BIOS that things need to be changed, can't remember offhand exactly what they were. UEFI changed to legacy only. And the hard disk settings too if you are using a SATA drive.
batman, not crabman (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:24:08 AM

The last GB mobo I bought was great (not for mining though and a fews years back) but this one has been a real POS and it wasn't particularly cheap.  Time to switch brands for my next upgrade me thinks

ch3weh

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 05:42:23 PM

Got it working - turns out it's a common problem with my MB that only the USB3 ports work :/

I've gone back to Winblows for the time being./

Thanks.

Thanks for posting this. It helped me out big time. Just going through the installation now. I hope that when it's installed I can use more than just the USB3 ports. Big thanks from me for this one  Kiss
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: