Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 11:51:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is China manipulating the price of Bitcoin and other altcoins?  (Read 1906 times)
Sjonsjonsma (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 08:48:53 AM

This question is probably asked many times, but I would like to start a discussion and hear other people's opinion on this. Of course it is a bit paranoia, but there is so much money to make for China that they would almost be stupid if they didn't manipulate the price.

This website is great to see the history of Bitcoin's price and the main events that influenced it: https://99bitcoins.com/price-chart-history/

Today seems to be exactly like in 2013. First China comes with some promising news that they see a bright future in Bitcoin and the price of Bitcoin goes even higher than it already was (giving a lost full blow into the bubble, prorbably so they can sell their holdings or something) and just a week or a couple of days later they come with restrictions and the bubble bursts. Is it me being paranoia or is the same exact thing happening again? And will it happen again in the next (even bigger) bubble?

Please share your (well-founded) thoughts here Smiley
Bittoshi

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 08:52:12 AM

You think that some big guys in China play games in order to manipulate the coin markets and profit from it? I would say it's possible but no one knows exactly of course. But definitely, they want to control the markets there.

Bitgesell (BGL):  A modern and truly scarce store of value. Burn rate is 90% of tx fee. Yearly block reward halving.

It's just the beginning!
Seansky

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 09:06:08 AM

This question is probably asked many times, but I would like to start a discussion and hear other people's opinion on this. Of course it is a bit paranoia, but there is so much money to make for China that they would almost be stupid if they didn't manipulate the price.

This website is great to see the history of Bitcoin's price and the main events that influenced it: https://99bitcoins.com/price-chart-history/

Today seems to be exactly like in 2013. First China comes with some promising news that they see a bright future in Bitcoin and the price of Bitcoin goes even higher than it already was (giving a lost full blow into the bubble, prorbably so they can sell their holdings or something) and just a week or a couple of days later they come with restrictions and the bubble bursts. Is it me being paranoia or is the same exact thing happening again? And will it happen again in the next (even bigger) bubble?

In the past China has been manipulating the price of bitcoin and other altcoins but now it seems to me they aren't really the ones pulling the strings on the current price decrease of bitcoin. I can say it for certain because China is not fully dominant in bitcoin anymore since many countries started adopting the use of bitcoin. I cant say the same words for altcoins though because a one or two whales can easily control their prices so easily.
Jmmerquita

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 09:16:54 AM

there's is possibility, but not only china. Billionaires and banks manipulating it in the trading.
Vannie12

Activity: 630
Merit: 130

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 09:21:46 AM

I understand that Chinese is a great contributor in the exchange of digital currencies and with the decisions made by Chinese greatly affected the crash.
But they are not manipulating it directly. They are just protecting block chain in the risks today than fixing for its life in the future.
I think that they see ICOs as threats in the security of blockchain.
Let us just hope they have plans and be implemented as soon as possible. I know there are business depending on BTC that is why we can not blame those who are panic selling.
Maymun_lavigne

Activity: 434
Merit: 126

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 09:52:30 AM

china always wanted to monopolize cryptocurrency trade.
50%  Bitcoin miners are in China. there was once a negative news that the Chinese state rejected Bitcoin.
but in reality there is where the largest market place cryptocurrency in the world
hello_good_sir

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 09:58:57 AM

China has not made any sort of promising news at all.

In fact, China has recently announced that ICOs would be banned and that caused quite a dropoff in price due to people panicking about the situation. The whole pump essentially happened without any sort of help from Chinese regulators.

Anyways, China does have a large part in bitcoin pricing since there are so many miners and traders. However they have definitely dropped far from its former glory because of all the new regulations. Is it manipulating btc price? I wouldn't call it manipulation but it does have a large infulence over it.

Coffee135

Activity: 392
Merit: 137

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 10:00:06 AM

china always wanted to monopolize cryptocurrency trade.
50%  Bitcoin miners are in China. there was once a negative news that the Chinese state rejected Bitcoin.
but in reality there is where the largest market place cryptocurrency in the world
If bitcoin will be used as originally intended then no one can stop him. What is China? It's a good environment for manufacturing, but financial markets are at the other side. I do not believe that China's decision could affect the status of the crypto currency. Problems can occur with mining, but it is very quickly adjusted.
Kriptex

Activity: 197

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 10:03:55 AM

In the past China has been manipulating the price of bitcoin and other altcoins but now it seems to me they aren't really the ones pulling the strings on the current price decrease of bitcoin. I can say it for certain because China is not fully dominant in bitcoin anymore since many countries started adopting the use of bitcoin. I cant say the same words for altcoins though because a one or two whales can easily control their prices so easily.

That's what they like to do. They create significant changes on coin prices and then they start to exploit our holdings by manipulation. Every time they did this, we lose more coins.

This is very clear since 2015.
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 10:06:58 AM

Not only China. Many billionaires are doing it. When price drops like now (almost below 4k) lots of newbs are going to sell, which is opportunity for them to get cheap coins 
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 10:18:43 AM

If you have been here for a while, you would know that this is exactly what China did with the PBOC regulations back then. It was actually bullish news that the chinese exchanges got regulated, because they would expose the fake volume and leave only real volume, but people took it as negative, panic sold, then the price went to ATH.

Same goes for ICO ban, it's actually very bullish for Bitcoin.

And the China bitcoin ban is just fake news, so I can't believe people are still panic selling. I think it will not go below $4000 and that was it.
Quietman

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 10:30:46 AM

Possibly there are big people who manipulates bitcoin but we cannot say who and where exactly it was. Whales has a big factor on why bitcoin's price is inflating and deflating. But we have some assurance ofcourse that bitcoin will go higher. There maybe some panic days for those who are inconfident with bitcoin but it is considered as discount days for many of us.
Sjonsjonsma (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 10:58:25 AM

China has not made any sort of promising news at all.

In fact, China has recently announced that ICOs would be banned and that caused quite a dropoff in price due to people panicking about the situation. The whole pump essentially happened without any sort of help from Chinese regulators.

Anyways, China does have a large part in bitcoin pricing since there are so many miners and traders. However they have definitely dropped far from its former glory because of all the new regulations. Is it manipulating btc price? I wouldn't call it manipulation but it does have a large infulence over it.

Well, there has been some promising news from China that they are backing up cryptocurrencies like NEO, while before they did not support any coin whatsoever. Now I am beginning to get the feeling that yet again they are regulating more and more, pressing down the price of the crypto market.

marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 11:03:28 AM

If you compare the trading volume of Okcoin prior to January 2017, and that of today, what do you notice? If we are to believe their data, several million BTC were being traded on their platform every day. Roll Eyes

I think these volumes were definitely part of a larger attempt at price manipulation (more specifically, price suppression). It may be no coincidence that the price rallied so hard this year after the Chinese government audited the exchanges and forced this manipulation to stop.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Sjonsjonsma (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 11:07:26 AM

If you have been here for a while, you would know that this is exactly what China did with the PBOC regulations back then. It was actually bullish news that the chinese exchanges got regulated, because they would expose the fake volume and leave only real volume, but people took it as negative, panic sold, then the price went to ATH.

Same goes for ICO ban, it's actually very bullish for Bitcoin.

And the China bitcoin ban is just fake news, so I can't believe people are still panic selling. I think it will not go below $4000 and that was it.

Why do you think it will not go below $4000? If you look at the history of Bitcoin, it goes from bubble to bubble. What makes you think we are not in a bubble right now?
MiF

Activity: 1372
Merit: 258

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 11:19:40 AM

You think that some big guys in China play games in order to manipulate the coin markets and profit from it? I would say it's possible but no one knows exactly of course. But definitely, they want to control the markets there.

China may influence bitcoin price but limited only to slow down the continues increasing of the bitcoin value not to destroy the bitcoin. The price today of the bitcoin is at $4200 lets see what will happen until the end of the year 2017 but i will strongly believe it will reach to $5000 this year and $10,000 by next year so be on board now.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 11:21:36 AM

I think there are no such thing as controlling bitcoin, they may manipulate the value of it but totally controlling it is a no, I think this trending fake news must stop now, the damage is done and this is what they want right now so many in there can buy bitcoin from this crash, right now the value drops to $4000 mark value, but we are now regaining the wits to make the value goes up again and wish this keeps on rising, because I can really see that $4000 value is our safe floor right now.
iyan33

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 11:32:42 AM

I think even though China has an influence on bitcoin development, I agree with the above statement that it may be a mere rumor to trigger panic until there is a relatively low sales transaction, while behind it there will be a drastic price spike.
twthmoses

Activity: 301
Merit: 103

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 11:35:33 AM

Why do you think it will not go below $4000? If you look at the history of Bitcoin, it goes from bubble to bubble. What makes you think we are not in a bubble right now?

Well said. Bitcoin may wobble, bubble or even go down, looking at a month or two, and it has done so always, but broaden the viewing glass to 6month-1year-2year, and it only goes up.
As more people want coins, the only way to fill demands is to increase the price. It is not like you can print more coins!
mast3rm1nd

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 12:10:54 PM

I guess this implies that Bitcoin is still not big enough that rumors will effect the price like so.

FANCHAIN  (by SportsCastr) [FORBES]  Backed by Former NBA Commissioner  DAVID STERN
ANN Thread Telegram Twitter Whitepaper
NOW LIVE!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: