Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:26:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: system parts, power consumption  (Read 380 times)
NDioWealthAmp (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 09:25:26 AM

Hi,

I am fine with my targeted GPU power consumption ranges OC'ed or not but not system parts in detail.

It seems that the overall systems are bound to consume between 150W-200W ? but what about each components separatly :
- 6/8 GPUs motherboard w/ 4 Gb DDR4
- G3930 Kaby Lake CPU
- 128Gb SSD
- USB risers, each

With that knowledge, I could eventually split the load between 2 PSUs instead of 1 when I'm short of power, but is it really recommended ?

Thanks for help
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 09:39:37 AM

Hi,

I am fine with my targeted GPU power consumption ranges OC'ed or not but not system parts in detail.

It seems that the overall systems are bound to consume between 150W-200W ? but what about each components separatly :
- 6/8 GPUs motherboard w/ 4 Gb DDR4
- G3930 Kaby Lake CPU
- 128Gb SSD
- USB risers, each

With that knowledge, I could eventually split the load between 2 PSUs instead of 1 when I'm short of power, but is it really recommended ?

Thanks for help

I'm finding your post a little difficult to understand. 150W-200W for an "overall system" with 6-8 GPUs is far too low of an estimate for power draw under load, unless your GPUs are super underpowered ones that probably aren't worth mining with.

It's typical to use the TDPs  of each component when estimating overall power use in order to figure out how to best distribute load between two power supplies, and then making sure that the estimate for each PSU doesn't exceed about 70% of its respective rating.

Celeron G3930 TDP: Roughly 50W

128GB SSD: Small, essentially a rounding error.

USB risers: Small, essentially a rounding error. (The risers themselves do not use much power. The graphics cards draw some power through the risers, but the exact amount varies by card and is difficult to determine. Each card draws some power directly from the PSU via the onboard 6 and/or 8 pin PCIe connectors, and some power through the x16 slot.)

Graphics cards: What cards do you have?

Fudge factor about 50W extra for the primary PSU that will be powering the motherboard. (With the 24 pin connector and the 4 or 8 pin EPS12V connector.)

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
NDioWealthAmp (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 10:35:54 AM

Hi & thanks

By "system parts", I actually meant everything outside GPU

I will be using OC'ed 1080 Ti (Asus Rog Strix OC or Zotac Amp Extreme / Amp Extreme Core). I am targeting about 285W for each of these.

About risers, I had once read they would consume 50W each (all in all 330W for OC'ed 1080 Ti + risers) but you're saying it's rather unsignificant and this figure could be wrong ?

What I really would like to figure out is if it's better to feed everything "system" related (mobo+cpu+ssd) on a single primary PSU or if it's okay practice to use a secondary PSU for cpu+Ssd+extra. Are there advantages / disavantadges ?

By TDP, do you mean theorical consumption divided by PSU efficiency, then make sure it's <70% of theorical advertised PSU power ?
For instance, my plan was to feed 2 x OC'ed 1080Ti + mobo/cpu/ssd on a single eVGA 850 P2. I initally assumed 330W x 2 + 150W (system) = 810W aka 95.3% of 850W (efficiency of PSU not taken into account)

All that because I was first told I would be fine up to 90%-95% load of the PSU and when I made some cost analysis, I figured out I would lose money if buying higher W PSUs just to get closer to 50%-60% load (highest peak of PSU efficiency) and that 85% load would probably be a top spot against normal prices (without discount) of PSU products. Lastly, I conluded I should go for Platinum PSU as mandatory (quite an efficiency increase above Gold leading to cost savings in the long run) but forget about Titanium. I must emphasize that my electricity cost is $0.11 / kWh

Any comments welcomed since I am "starting". Have a nice sunday
Leass

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 11:06:53 AM

Hi & thanks

By "system parts", I actually meant everything outside GPU

I will be using OC'ed 1080 Ti (Asus Rog Strix OC or Zotac Amp Extreme / Amp Extreme Core). I am targeting about 285W for each of these.

About risers, I had once read they would consume 50W each (all in all 330W for OC'ed 1080 Ti + risers) but you're saying it's rather unsignificant and this figure could be wrong ?

What I really would like to figure out is if it's better to feed everything "system" related (mobo+cpu+ssd) on a single primary PSU or if it's okay practice to use a secondary PSU for cpu+Ssd+extra. Are there advantages / disavantadges ?

By TDP, do you mean theorical consumption divided by PSU efficiency, then make sure it's <70% of theorical advertised PSU power ?
For instance, my plan was to feed 2 x OC'ed 1080Ti + mobo/cpu/ssd on a single eVGA 850 P2. I initally assumed 330W x 2 + 150W (system) = 810W aka 95.3% of 850W (efficiency of PSU not taken into account)

All that because I was first told I would be fine up to 90%-95% load of the PSU and when I made some cost analysis, I figured out I would lose money if buying higher W PSUs just to get closer to 50%-60% load (highest peak of PSU efficiency) and that 85% load would probably be a top spot against normal prices (without discount) of PSU products. Lastly, I conluded I should go for Platinum PSU as mandatory (quite an efficiency increase above Gold leading to cost savings in the long run) but forget about Titanium. I must emphasize that my electricity cost is $0.11 / kWh

Any comments welcomed since I am "starting". Have a nice sunday
To be on good side you should calculate:
Low end cpu - 50w
Ram - 5W each stick
SSD/HDD - 10w each
So safe assume is 75w for system.
Risers can pull up tu 75w each from PSU but the power loss on risers is really low (about 1-2W) rest goes throuth x16 pcie to power card.
You could easily do your configuration. I have 2x1080ti on 750w B PSU and 3x on 850w G PSU. Stable and working.

NDioWealthAmp (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 12:36:03 PM

Thanks. This info clears it for me. Cheers !
christwaston

Activity: 89

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 01:38:26 PM

Im really satisfied for your support.These parts were not available everywhere but you saved my day.Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: