Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:59:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GTX 1060 stops working after adding a 5th GPU  (Read 511 times)
Grout (OP)

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 11:40:27 AM

Hi all,

I'm having a weird issue with a GTX 1060 :

With 4 GPUs, all cards are working fine.
When I add a 5th card, this particular card stops working (seen in lspci, not in nvidia-smi), let's call her 'Bitchy'.
I tried moving the cards around on different PCIe slots, it's always Bitchy that's unhappy.
It doesn't matter what the 5th card is, I tried with a 750ti and a 1060.
Bitchy just doesn't like when the rig gets too crowded...

Asrock H81 pro btc with molex plugged in and powered risers. Ubuntu 16.04. Driver Version: 375.74
750W Corsair PSU. 4 GTX 1060 (including bitchy), plus another card puts the total power draw to 600W tops...

Has anyone encountered that issue before ? Any idea ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Grout (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 12:11:37 PM

Wait, I was wrong, Bitchy is not always the same card.
After more shuffling around, it turns out it's always a card in the first OR second PCI-E slot. It just happenend to follow that card the first time and lead me to label Bitchy as the culprit. I'm sorry I doubted you Bitchy.
I swapped 6pin cables and it didn't change, although it doesn't mean much on a single-rail PSU.

Past experience tells me it's the PSU. It's always the PSU. Because it's the only part I don't have a spare for and Murphy's Law is a bitch...

Still interested in your experience with similar problems though.
jyakulis

Activity: 468
Merit: 250

J

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 12:17:08 PM

what kind of cpu?

does the OS lock up when you add the 5th?

bitcoin address: 35CezzikPXjx4QmTgpeU3ByQ42s8mVcbaF
damNmad

Activity: 378
Merit: 104

nvOC forever

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 12:43:03 PM

I had this sort of issue with my Asus Z270P, had same trouble on windows, I almost smashed my mobo because of this issue.

Played around with the BIOS settings, '4g enabled' etc and fixed that issue for a while.

My Post related to that issue :  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1966249

Switched to Ubuntu, had trouble finding all the drivers etc; compilation errors.

Switched to nvOC; sorted most of my issues; I bet it would really help you sort most of the issues too.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1854250

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
jyakulis

Activity: 468
Merit: 250

J

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 01:51:05 PM

I had this sort of issue with my Asus Z270P, had same trouble on windows, I almost smashed my mobo because of this issue.

Played around with the BIOS settings, '4g enabled' etc and fixed that issue for a while.

My Post related to that issue :  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1966249

Switched to Ubuntu, had trouble finding all the drivers etc; compilation errors.

Switched to nvOC; sorted most of my issues; I bet it would really help you sort most of the issues too.

Yes, I had windows 10 and could not get more than 2 gpu to run. If I put the 3rd in a pcie port my computer would freeze and then not start until it was removed. I moved to nvOC and it allowed me to run all 4. But my stability was still questionable. I could not even have the miner open in Ubuntu without eventually locking up.

I was using an older m5a97 r2.0 motherboard with a Sempron processor. I had the same board in my personal computer but had upgraded the ram and cpu and it would run 4 gpu no problem in windows 10. I did some searching and came to realize that even though your motherboard has the support for multiple gpu your cpu may not be able to manage all the pcie lanes. I upgraded my rig to an fx 8300 8 core which had a nice rebate on amazon and the rig runs fine with 4 gpu in windows 10. I'm even considering expanding with a splitter to 6 or 7 after some initial testing.

I'm not saying to soak more money into hardware until you are certain of your issues and explored all your cheaper options but at least consider this.

bitcoin address: 35CezzikPXjx4QmTgpeU3ByQ42s8mVcbaF
Grout (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 02:49:35 PM

The rig boots fine, whatever the number of GPUs.
It's just that one of the GPUs is not recognized by the driver. I can still see it in lspci, though.

CPU is Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1840 @ 2.80GHz

Update: I replaced all GPUs with 750Tis. 6 of them. And they all worked fine.
Another pointer towards the PSU: a Corsair CS750
damNmad

Activity: 378
Merit: 104

nvOC forever

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 05:38:04 PM

Yes, I had windows 10 and could not get more than 2 gpu to run. If I put the 3rd in a pcie port my computer would freeze and then not start until it was removed. I moved to nvOC and it allowed me to run all 4. But my stability was still questionable. I could not even have the miner open in Ubuntu without eventually locking up.

I was using an older m5a97 r2.0 motherboard with a Sempron processor. I had the same board in my personal computer but had upgraded the ram and cpu and it would run 4 gpu no problem in windows 10. I did some searching and came to realize that even though your motherboard has the support for multiple gpu your cpu may not be able to manage all the pcie lanes. I upgraded my rig to an fx 8300 8 core which had a nice rebate on amazon and the rig runs fine with 4 gpu in windows 10. I'm even considering expanding with a splitter to 6 or 7 after some initial testing.

I'm not saying to soak more money into hardware until you are certain of your issues and explored all your cheaper options but at least consider this.

Yep, I agree with you, one of my friend bought exact same config like me (same vendor too) but he couldn't get all his 8 GPU UP and he got all weird issues I haven't got them at all (though we followed same process with OS and everything).

I'm using G3900 on my Z270P with 8 gigs ram still only uses 2.5 RAM though, runs very smoothly, haven't had any freezes or such of failures yet, its working very well for me, so far so good. But thinking of considering switching the processor & add splitters.

Every hardware acts different based on the combinations we use, its better we do some research before buying.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
DarrenJC

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 05:41:28 PM

Go into BIOS, disable USB3.0/3.1?.... anything like that that isnt needed, might be stopping a riser slot working.

Single GPU Miner - Zotac GTX1070 8GB Mini
Still early days, aiming bigger in time
MingMining

Activity: 202
Merit: 10

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 02:26:25 AM

The rig boots fine, whatever the number of GPUs.
It's just that one of the GPUs is not recognized by the driver. I can still see it in lspci, though.

CPU is Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1840 @ 2.80GHz

Update: I replaced all GPUs with 750Tis. 6 of them. And they all worked fine.
Another pointer towards the PSU: a Corsair CS750

I have similar issue before except that mine is sixth gpu did not work. Finally I made it by switch gpu with different slots and ddu and reinstall the drivers. What is the problem in your device manager? there should be some error code. 43 or 12.

ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org
●          Mars, here we come!          ●
██ ████ ███ ██ ████ ███ ██   Join Discord   ██ ███ ████ ██ ███ ████ ██
killerelite

Activity: 205

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 02:47:53 AM

Well I had a problem once in which no card except the amp extreme 1070 would work in my first pci-e slot .
I tried clearing bios , reinstalling windows etc everything nothing seemed to work.
So I didn't put any card in the 1st pci-e slot
and put the rest of cards in other slots and let it run for a day or day and a half , that amp extreme 1070 was now in slot 4 or 5
anyways afterwards I had some internet problems during which I couldn't mine so I thought why not try to fix this issue
I completely turned off the rig , attached a 1060 card in the first slot , Others cards still in their slots and tried to turn on the pc.
Too my complete surprise the card worked and every thing is still working 1 month later now.

MingMining

Activity: 202
Merit: 10

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:20:22 AM

Well I had a problem once in which no card except the amp extreme 1070 would work in my first pci-e slot .
I tried clearing bios , reinstalling windows etc everything nothing seemed to work.
So I didn't put any card in the 1st pci-e slot
and put the rest of cards in other slots and let it run for a day or day and a half , that amp extreme 1070 was now in slot 4 or 5
anyways afterwards I had some internet problems during which I couldn't mine so I thought why not try to fix this issue
I completely turned off the rig , attached a 1060 card in the first slot , Others cards still in their slots and tried to turn on the pc.
Too my complete surprise the card worked and every thing is still working 1 month later now.

LOL. Sounds the same as my issue. Seemed to me that Windows do remember some settings and refused to change unless you really push hard...

ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org
●          Mars, here we come!          ●
██ ████ ███ ██ ████ ███ ██   Join Discord   ██ ███ ████ ██ ███ ████ ██
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: