Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:25:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum should use secure https:// logins  (Read 854 times)
coinage (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 09:29:23 PM

I've enjoyed reading hundreds of posts here in recent months.  Now with the bitcoin security mess I realize I have important contributions to make, so I registered to post.

To start off right I registered with a long, complex password with all 4 character groups (lowercase, uppercase, numbers, symbols), which will be unique for this site.

Then I logged in ... under plaintext http: .

Huh?

It's time to for all bitcoin-related sites to lock down their username/password registrations, logins, and password change pages, because we have seen more than anything else in my recent memory how aggressively people will collect user credentials on one site (MtGox) to try using them on other sites (MyBitcoin/Gmail/Tradehill/etc.) when money gathering is a motivating factor.

It's also time for anyone who registered here ages ago to consider whether they've reused their passwords elsewhere.

(There's probably no clear need for all pages on non-financial sites like this one to be run under SSL while logged in, since the overhead could be an issue.  But at least logins!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 09:44:17 PM

(There's probably no clear need for all pages on non-financial sites like this one to be run under SSL while logged in, since the overhead could be an issue.  But at least logins!)

Honestly, I see very little point in encrypting login pages if you immediately switch to insecure access. Sure, someone can't get the password, but they don't need it.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
unbanned

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 10:28:44 PM

+ after all that has happened you shouldn't even be using the same email address across bitcoin related sites

passwords should all be different all the time anyway, if someone doesnt do this kind of basic security its not the fault of the forum
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: