Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 05:17:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can offline 93.3 sign segwit?  (Read 274 times)
clemdementhe (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 01:38:57 PM

Happily running 96.2 on the online machine. I'd like to start using segwit addresses, but just want to check that my offline 93.3 can sign segwit transactions ok? or would the offline need upgrading as well? Thanks.
clemdementhe (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 01:45:38 PM

- apologies, my offline is actually running 0.92.3 - same question tho!
Mr.Vice

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 02:12:46 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2017, 02:35:21 PM by Mr.Vice

Happily running 96.2 on the online machine. I'd like to start using segwit addresses, but just want to check that my offline 93.3 can sign segwit transactions ok? or would the offline need upgrading as well? Thanks.

In order to use SegWit addresse or be able to sign them you have to upgrade both, the online and offline machine to Armory 0.96 or later (latest one is 0.96.2). Additionally you need at least Bitcoin Core 0.13 or later (latest one is 0.14.2) for your online machine.
Older Armory versions won't be able to sign/spent from SegWit tx.

In newer Armory versions 0.96+ you can choose in your settings which address types you would like to use for receiving and change addresses.
There are three address types available after upgrade:
1) "P2PKH": Legacy address type. Fully backwards compatible. (With this one you can still sign from your offline PC without upgrading).
2) "P2SH-P2PK": Compressed P2PKH script. Nested in P2SH output. (This address type can only be signed by Armory 0.96+. But your underlying Bitcoin Node does not have to support SegWit to spend from it. This is usefull if you want to use the Bitcoin Cash blockchain - no SegWit support - and still be able to use a compressed address (lower fees)).
3) "P2SH-P2WPKH": SegWit script. Nested in P2SH output. (This is the new segwit address type. But only wallets that support SegWit will be able to spend from it. So if there will be any fork in the future and the new chain doesn't support SegWit you won't be able to spend from that alt-chain!).
clemdementhe (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 03:22:52 PM

Thanks, Mr.Vice, for the detailed answer.

I'm reluctant to mess with the offline machine so will probably stay old skool for my cold storage.
Mr.Vice

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 03:59:03 PM

Thanks, Mr.Vice, for the detailed answer.

I'm reluctant to mess with the offline machine so will probably stay old skool for my cold storage.

No problem, you're welcome. ;-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: