Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:29:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: uniquness of seeds  (Read 188 times)
penner11 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 09:38:31 AM

Hi,

Iam looking for an Hw wallet and Iam worried about the uniqueness from their seeds.

My understanding so far is, that the seed is created randomly from the words known by an hardware wallets dictionary.
The seed is afterwards used by the device as root to create private keys and public addresses correspondingly for any crypto transaction.
From my understanding it is not impossible that 2 different hw wallets create the same seed and therefore might overlap afterwards with the same private keys.

Please explain why iam wrong?

Bitfort

Activity: 952
Merit: 339

invest trade and gamble wisely

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 10:51:16 AM

Hi,

Iam looking for an Hw wallet and Iam worried about the uniqueness from their seeds.

My understanding so far is, that the seed is created randomly from the words known by an hardware wallets dictionary.
The seed is afterwards used by the device as root to create private keys and public addresses correspondingly for any crypto transaction.
From my understanding it is not impossible that 2 different hw wallets create the same seed and therefore might overlap afterwards with the same private keys.

Please explain why iam wrong?

Hi

First of all: This has been asked multiple times already ...  next time you should better do some search on your own before asking.

Secondly: beginners will not help you much so would be great to move this topic into https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=37.0 to get better support. (use bottom left link)
If you'll be lucky DannyHamilton will provide you exhaustive explanation (i love his answers to similar questions )

Meanwhile I will reffer you to eg: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681206.0  or https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/6cjvam/probability_of_seed_phrase_collisionbrute_forcing/

TLDR: It is possible, but the chances are is so small, it can be considered as impossible.

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄E► (KCS) Kucoin-Staking, Auto-Lending, Trading-Bot
◄E► (BNB) Binance-Staking, Savings, 10% RefBack
◄E► (TRX) Poloniex-Staking, Lending, Fee Discount
◄E► (LEO) Bitfinex-Staking, Auto-Lending

◄G► Betfury-Faucet, Dividend Earnings (BFG holders, mine BFG by playing)
◄G► Bitvest -  Faucet, Bankroll Invest
◄G► CryptoGames-Faucet, Lotto
◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

◄M► Prohashing (Multipool)-Payout in any coin, get 0.50% bonus for 30 days
◄M► MiningRigRentals (Marketplace)-buy hashrate or rent your miners
◄M► Viabtc  (Pool)-payout to Coinex (exchnage) without fees

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: