Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:20:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows VS Linux  (Read 1018 times)
jijikill (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:12:31 AM

I know this has been discussed and debated by the community for quite some time but as a newbie in mining , I am still very confuse

1) What is the pros and cons of each OS?
2) What is the longest uptime of your mining rig? ( No crashes, restart ,etc.)
3) How much difference on hash rate on both OS? Which one gets better result ?
4) Which OS is better for overclock? To maximize hash rate and stable at the same time

I have a 9 Nvidia P106-100 rig and I'm using windows to mine Eth, it's all time stable without overclock , but by the rate of 24Mh/s , the rig gets unstable ,likely to crash once after 3-4 days

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:17:47 AM

Windows is more user friendly and is easier to use for most people, while Linux offers more customizability and copes better with 6+ GPUs compared to Windows, at ten cost of less user friendliness (though Ubuntu has both qualities). I recall Linux often results in slightly higher hashrates and sometimes less crashes. Overclocking should be consistent through both OSes. It can't really hurt to try Linux either way, just boot Ubuntu or whatever distro you like through USB and see if it works better for you.
stef_stef

Activity: 144

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:31:27 AM

I know this has been discussed and debated by the community for quite some time but as a newbie in mining , I am still very confuse

4) Which OS is better for overclock? To maximize hash rate and stable at the same time

I have a 9 Nvidia P106-100 rig and I'm using windows to mine Eth, it's all time stable without overclock , but by the rate of 24Mh/s , the rig gets unstable ,likely to crash once after 3-4 days

If you are using nvidia cards, I'd suggest that you go for Linux. I've been using nvOC for my 1070s and it is much more stable than windows. I've only had to reset it like 3 times in the past 4 months. Usually it was team viewer not working, or some internet connection problem and I was too lazy to attach a screen to it.

Big plus for me is that you run it from a usb, so no extra sata cables. No installation process as well
brownfly

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:32:53 AM

Windows - more GPUs. Linux - better remote management.

Bitcointalk ANNS channel: https://t.me/bitcointalkanns
car1999

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 02:15:28 AM

i heart that Windows supports only 8 nvidia cards, how do you run a 9 cards rig?
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 02:16:11 AM

I think it comes down to cost and ease of deployment where linux rules for farming.
bdog1234

Activity: 132

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 04:23:01 AM

Someone with zero Linux experience and half a brain could download nvOC, spend an hour reading the thread and instructions and be up and running. It isn't difficult, it is free, and it is stable. Learning Linux is a challenge no doubt but you don't really have to learn it just to run nvOC. If you are mining with your gaming computer sure use Windows but dedicated mining rigs use Linux. Another plus is no need for monitors. I have multiple nvOC rigs running and none of them have monitors, keyboards, or mice.
Supercoiner111

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 08:25:08 AM

Windows, better support, more GPU, better remote monitoring.......

plbartie

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

ALTCOM wallet: AYGDb1Zwf3vfs2xC4D1G63wwy9RLU5Kb5r

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 10:03:52 AM

I prefer windows, it's definitely easier to troubleshoot if something goes wrong. I tried linux but gave up after a few days and went back to Win 10.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion  ✔  Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency  ✔  TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️    ★    ✔ VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 10:05:52 AM

Windows has been nothing but trouble so all my computers run Linux.
jijikill (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 05:18:46 PM

i heart that Windows supports only 8 nvidia cards, how do you run a 9 cards rig?

Hmm, I'm not sure where did you heard that , but 9 GPU works as normal pc for me , everything working fine just sometimes it will weirdly BSOD so think of changing to linux
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 07:51:34 PM

Windows drivers are the ones with limits on how many GPUs you can use per brand (usually 8 sometimes less), not LINUX.

Windows is more user friendly (except Cool for most users, and has better tools for fan control/power management/overclocking - there is no LINUX equal to Afterburner.

LINUX is more stable and far LESS crash prone.

My "big rig" ETH miner (3 x R9 290, upgraded from an "Avatar" Litecoin mining rig) went MONTHS at a time without downtime, I'm pretty sure the only downtime it EVER had was when I physically had to move it or when I had a power outage.
 Several of my other LINUX-based mining and crunching rigs have managed even LONGER uptimes, back when I was still in Iowa and was in the same place for the last 8 years or so there - often measured in YEARS between power outages.

I've NEVER seen a Windows mining (or crunching) rig go much more than a month without some sort of a crash.

For reference - when I say "crunching" I'm usually talking about the Distributed.net cryptography project, which puts pretty much identical stresses on a rig for the SAME reason that cryptocoin mining does (less I/O usage though).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: