Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:06:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Uni Student wanting to start investing for the long term  (Read 405 times)
thebackfish (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:25:08 AM

I'm 19 years old and want to start investing for the future. I have no interest in making short term gains. I'm looking to keep these investments for a few years. Where do I start off? I cant put that much into it at the moment, maybe $50 or less a week.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:32:22 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2017, 02:07:05 AM by mjglqw

Depending on what country you're in, your best bet would be to create a Coinbase account then buy bitcoins there. If you're planning on holding bitcoin, then that's it. Probably just move the bitcoin to another wallet that you prefer more (or better yet, a hardware wallet like Trezor and Ledger Nano S).

If you're planning on investing in other cryptocurrencies, same steps. After buying the bitcoins from coinbase, move your funds to a reputable exchange like Bittrex, then you can exchange your BTC for whatever coin/token you want.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 03:12:37 AM

I'm 19 years old and want to start investing for the future. I have no interest in making short term gains. I'm looking to keep these investments for a few years. Where do I start off? I cant put that much into it at the moment, maybe $50 or less a week.

That's perfect! The best way to invest. Buy it and forget it. It would be easy to start with Bitcoin (and you would never have to look back unless this cryptocurrency thing as a whole disappears). But I'll offer another option for you - think about Litecoin!

Litecoin is severely undervalued compared to how long it's been available and how long it's been considered the sliver to Bitcoin's gold. Litecoin is trading between $60-80 right now, so each of your $50 a week can buy nearly an entire Litecoin. That ability to buy more coin per investment interval allows you to increase the leverage you'll have when Litecoin starts to move. Now, don't expected it to hit Bitcoin price levels at the same time as Bitcoin...Litecoin will have 4x the amount of coins in circulation at somepoint (81m vs. 21m for bitcoin). So it's fair to think that Litecoin's fair value should be 1/4th that of Bitcoin. Today that would be a bit over $1,000...yet it's still trading below $100.

Ask yourself, will it be easier for Litecoin to reach $1,000 or Bitcoin to reach $40,000?
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 05:27:34 AM

The first advice I would share with you to diversify your investment which is about spreading your capital among multiple investment options to mitigate the risk. Even if you are investing $50 then you should spread it say in 5 multiple coins (or any other options as you feel comfortable with).  Do not invest or sell just because the next guy is doing so, do your own research before taking any investment decision. I have lost my 100% of the capital in my initial days because I used to invest based on other's opinion, without doing any self-research so stay refrain from it.
NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 02:24:15 PM

If you have "free" electricity like a lot of college students do, start mining with what you have, almost certainly GPU altcoins. After you get some experience mining, save up to get more mining rigs. Stick with GPUs if you can get them for a good price because newer ASIC boxes are too noisy.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
Indighost

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 03:26:15 PM

50 is really not bad.. that's $600 a year
My suggestion:
Every month convert your $50 to ETH/BTC, at the same time search for popular ICO's or what you think might have a future
If you one of your ICO prediction is correct, you'll multiply your investment and will be able to exchange it for more ETH/BTC or whatever you want
but in general, stick with ICO's - since as you said 50 isn't a lot and ICO's offer the best return on investment
Good luck
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 04:06:38 PM

My suggestion:
Every month convert your $50 to ETH/BTC, at the same time search for popular ICO's or what you think might have a future
If you one of your ICO prediction is correct, you'll multiply your investment and will be able to exchange it for more ETH/BTC or whatever you want
but in general, stick with ICO's - since as you said 50 isn't a lot and ICO's offer the best return on investment
Good luck

While an ICO might have the best potential return, I believe maybe only 1 or 2 out of the hundreds that are being offered might succeed. Most are outright scams. Investing in an ICO takes a lot of research and vetting if you don't want to lose your money.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
S9Capital

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2017, 01:34:44 AM

Make sure that your ICO investments are secure and employ best in class cybersecurity practices. We encourage ICO investors to check the #CryptoHygiene of their potential investments (https://www.securecoin.capital/cryptohygiene)

My suggestion:
Good luck

While an ICO might have the best potential return, I believe maybe only 1 or 2 out of the hundreds that are being offered might succeed. Most are outright scams. Investing in an ICO takes a lot of research and vetting if you don't want to lose your money.
vandvl

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 03:45:38 AM

if you want to invest.... buy 1 BTC and l hold in good and secure wallet like coinbase and leave in couple of year...and exchange in fiat after then...
bwells88

Activity: 18

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 05:10:49 AM

Having a consistent amount that you can add every week is the way to go. Start with the biggest name coins. Those will always be your safest bets. Honestly, Bitcoin and Ethereum are the two leaders by far.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: