Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:02:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Adblock Plus censoring posts  (Read 5859 times)
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:20:06 AM

You did not say in general. Specially, you were referring to my / the BFL ads.

Yet you accept slander for ads

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:24:00 AM

Forum ads != what people put in their signature.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:28:32 AM

Forum ads != what people put in their signature.

It is ok, I will just go on slandering your name as the ad writer, and pirate 2.
Sure thing. Now everyone knows how immature you are.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:29:44 AM

EasyList Maintainer and Ad Blocker Plus if your reading this put up a bitcoin donation address and I will make sure you guys are well taken care as long I as see no ads on this forum Wink
So just check the box in your profile to disable them...

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:40:25 AM

EasyList Maintainer and Ad Blocker Plus if your reading this put up a bitcoin donation address and I will make sure you guys are well taken care as long I as see no ads on this forum Wink
So just check the box in your profile to disable them...

I don't see any check box for ads
It's in forum profile under "Bitcoin address". As a hero member you should see it.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:44:17 AM

I don't think it's visible yet, theymos said next ad round.
scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 06:51:16 AM

I don't think it's visible yet, theymos said next ad round.

Makes sense.  Wouldn't be fair to make a new way to disable ads halfway through the round, if the advertisers didn't know that was the deal.

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
gappie

Activity: 65
Merit: 121

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:03:37 AM

Where are these so called adds on this forum? I turned AdBlock on and off and still saw the adds for ripple scam and butterfly labs.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 02:00:35 PM
Last edit: May 27, 2013, 02:34:10 PM by pekv2

I came up with a way to cleanly bypass this in Firefox with JavaScript (not yet implemented), but not Chrome yet. Does anyone know how to detect whether ABP blocked a particular element in Chrome using JavaScript?

I would just logout everyone who was detected using adblock.
Try to use the forum while logged out if you prefer to keep ABP on Grin

Too many people would be driven away from the forum if I did that.

I actually don't care about the ads that much. The forum's income is much higher than necessary for its survival, and the ads probably aren't necessary for executing the forum's mission (though they help). But:
- If we're selling ads, I want them to be as effective as possible (without being annoying).
- I want the ad impression stats to be accurate.
- I'm annoyed that some people seem to think that all websites should just silently "take it" when their ads are blocked, or seek permission from the ABP organization if they want to keep displaying ads. I'm not going to do that. If EasyList wants to block the forum's ads, they're going to have to work for it.
- I'm now very irritated that EasyList maintainers fucked up the forum just to block a few unobtrusive links.

I agree with you, that no site should take it silently, I don't agree on allowing non-intrusive ads through adblock plus, as what is adblockplus? Its an addon that is suppose to block ads. That is why a lot of people switched to trueblockplus, because of this. Now if you go using ads through javascript, lot of people use noscript, then there is request policy, and then there are thousands of other addons to use including greasemonkey that takes care of javascript annoyances aka your javascript ads that you speak of. We will see how this battle will play out, in the end, the end user has the power to decide what is on the their browser until you ban the person "me maybe? I hope not", its like me stating I am not gonna stay silent and take ads on my browser, neither are you gonna take it silently. How can this be fixed now? I don't know. I have a feeling it's going to come down to you removing smf, and going with another forum software really tearing things up. imo, this is just going downhill for you. I do really appreciate you, for all the help you have given but I think what we are in is called a grey area now.

Edit:
I came up with a way to cleanly bypass this in Firefox with JavaScript (not yet implemented), but not Chrome yet. Does anyone know how to detect whether ABP blocked a particular element in Chrome using JavaScript?

What about opera, IE, and other browser users? Anything for dolphin browser on droid? This imo is gonna be a clustermess.
Caesium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 02:10:40 PM

I actually don't care about the ads that much. The forum's income is much higher than necessary for its survival, and the ads probably aren't necessary for executing the forum's mission (though they help). But:
- If we're selling ads, I want them to be as effective as possible (without being annoying).

Emphasis mine. So why sell them in the first place?

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
pekv2

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 04:15:09 PM

There's nothing I can change in the forum's HTML to stop this. This isn't a side-effect of my anti-ABP code.
Yes, it is. You're the one who started the arms race with EasyList. If you removed your anti-ABP code, easylist maintainers wouldn't have to go through such extreme measures. This whole arms race is retarded, and you're turning it into a game of "why are you hitting yourself".

I would just logout everyone who was detected using adblock.
Try to use the forum while logged out if you prefer to keep ABP on Grin

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/disable-anti-adblock/
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 04:22:29 PM

And what if the JS becomes blocked?

ABP can't block inline JS.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
pekv2

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 04:31:15 PM

And what if the JS becomes blocked?

ABP can't block inline JS.

But noscript will? Then wage war on noscript? I am really fascinated now.
Jason

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:20:13 PM

As a DoNotTrackMe user, I was curious about Ghostery after seeing your mention of it and came across this (From https://www.abine.com/donottrackme/faq/#q29 )

13.  What’s the difference between Ghostery and DNTMe?
Ghostery and DNTMe are both simple, functional "starters" for people who want to protect their privacy online.

Some comparisons:

• DNTMe is faster, based on page load/processing times.
  • DNTMe generates fewer Javascript errors on the top 10,000 websites than Ghostery does.
  • Abine is a consumer privacy company that’s funded by our customers and our investors. In contrast, the company that owns Ghostery (Evidon, formerly Better Advertising, Inc.) is funded by advertisers and businesses paying them for ad data and compliance.
  • Unlike Ghostery/Evidon, Abine doesn’t collect any of your data when you use DNTMe. All we see is that a download occurred, which lets us know how many users we have. You can start using DNTMe with one click and no exchange of your personal information. Ghostery collects data from users who opt into GhostRank.

I think I'll stick with DoNotTrackMe for now since there may be a conflict of interest with Ghostery and who has time to analyze their code to see exactly what they are or are not reporting.

I knew this from the beginning of ghostery. I would not touch ghostery with a ten foot poll.

Please research before you use ghostery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostery#History_and_use

(I know this is getting off-topic, but) I couldn't find anything wrong in what you've linked. I know about their GhostRank reporting and I have it disabled, but I think it should be harmless even if enabled. What's wrong with Ghostery?

BM-2D7sazxZugpTgqm3M2MCi5C1t8Du8BN11f
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:24:48 PM

If you don't want posts censored, you need to disable ABP (or just these filters) on bitcointalk.org.

I recommend using http://www.ghostery.com/ instead of adblock anyway. It blocks most of shitty 3rd party spying codes - that includes most ads but also Facebook, Twitter, Google and lot of other tracking codes from even more evil companies. It blocks most ads that adblock blocks, but is much, much better for your privacy. It also doesn't block any in-house ads like these on bitcointalk.org.

As for the ABP issue, I second the opinion that it is a side effect of anti-ABP code. I would remove this code and let ABP do their job the easy way. I also like the idea to logout everyone who was detected using adblock. That should keep number of lost ad displays reasonably low (limited to visitors using ABP and not logged in; and huge forums are hard to use without logging in).

..am now trying ghostery, thank you for the recommendation!

Ente
Terk

Activity: 616
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:29:24 PM

As a DoNotTrackMe user, I was curious about Ghostery after seeing your mention of it and came across this (From https://www.abine.com/donottrackme/faq/#q29 )

I think that you need to specifically opt-in for GhostRank reporting, so if you don't do that, Ghostery doesn't report anything. I never had any JS errors with Ghostery or DNTM. I tested them both some time ago (a year or two ago) and noticed that Ghostery blocks a little bit more trackers (at least on pages where I visit frequently), so that's why I sticked to it. I think both are fine and both are doing their job reasonably well.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:35:45 PM

Implemented now for the PIA ad. Works on Firefox and Chrome. (The way to detect whether ABP blocks something in Chrome is to wait a while and then check whether the element has display:none.)

NoScript + ABP will block the ads. I'm not going to try to cover these users unless something easy occurs to me. NoScript users sacrifice some functionality here.

pekv2

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:08:19 PM

Implemented now for the PIA ad. Works on Firefox and Chrome. (The way to detect whether ABP blocks something in Chrome is to wait a while and then check whether the element has display:none.)

NoScript + ABP will block the ads. I'm not going to try to cover these users unless something easy occurs to me. NoScript users sacrifice some functionality here.

Cool. I think this will be good. I've tested the page with ABP&easy list only and waterfox and PIA shows up. I enabled noscript, PIA disappeared. People with noscript and self-moderated threads will have to be extra careful not to click delete on a post, and without java, you get no delete warning. Glad you got something worked out.

pekv2

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:20:36 PM

Just to let you know, the
Code:
Sponsored by Private Internet Access, a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.
at the bottom of the page can still be blocked with element hider with noscript enabled or not.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:22:36 PM

Just to let you know, the
Code:
Sponsored by Private Internet Access, a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.
at the bottom of the page can still be blocked with element hider with noscript enabled or not.

That's fine.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: