Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 12:53:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Twitter account of Jon Matonis been cracked?  (Read 5007 times)
5EC948A1 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 05:07:54 PM

Jon Matonis' Twitter feed has been strange. There have been strange tweets that stay up for a few minutes and then are deleted.

For example, something like "I have an emergency situation please send Bitcoin donation to 1NmjJSDfSTRy6Ez4USyKct1mXgwteJvqfj".

And then, "I am selling my personal mining rig DM me for information".

Keep an eye on the feed, it's strange. I'm sure he's locked out of his own account. I suppose the Foundation can confirm whether the donation address belongs to them.

https://twitter.com/jonmatonis

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 06:04:26 PM

Offtopic sort of but I find it neccessary to be said:

Anyone having Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Google+ or similar account or is using any of services provided by (major) corporations or other service providers who are backed by system
and is involved with cryptocoins at the same time is an idiot, period.

'idiot' is a technical term which probably does not apply.  Fun though.

I'll agree with the statement, but with some modification.  ...using, for mission critical things, any of the services...  It is unwise and probably impractical to avoid many of these services in 2013.  But from a system design perspective, they should be treated as resources which have less reliability than might be desired.  And a failure mode which will likely be associated with other system failures.

I would also point out that '(major) corporations' provide almost everyone with edge connectivity (your isp) as well as carry backbone traffic.  And they have a pretty high degree of control over 'your' packets.  So, if on is an 'idiot, period' for relying on '(major) corporations or other service providers', we are pretty much all idiots.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 06:05:11 PM

Very odd Goat.

I don't see those tweets?

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 06:23:24 PM

I would also point out that '(major) corporations' provide almost everyone with edge connectivity (your isp) as well as carry backbone traffic.  And they have a pretty high degree of control over 'your' packets.  So, if on is an 'idiot, period' for relying on '(major) corporations or other service providers', we are pretty much all idiots.

If you are dealing with cryptocoins but not route your traffic through TOR and use multiple levels of protection from being tracked and profiled than yes, you are idiot. Good luck!

So you are running a business based on TOR?  OK.  Luck to ya...and to your customers...

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Jobe7

Activity: 238

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 06:45:40 PM

Some people actually want to run legitimate businesses and NOT run their business through tor..

1NmjJSDfSTRy6Ez4USyKct1mXgwteJvqfj - is the address now on his twitter account and that he tweeted.

1BTCorgHwCg6u2YSAWKgS17qUad6kHmtQW - Is the real Bitcoin Foundation donation address (https://bitcoinfoundation.org/donate)
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 06:55:15 PM

Some people actually want to run legitimate businesses and NOT run their business through tor..

1NmjJSDfSTRy6Ez4USyKct1mXgwteJvqfj - is the address now on his twitter account and that he tweeted.

1BTCorgHwCg6u2YSAWKgS17qUad6kHmtQW - Is the real Bitcoin Foundation donation address (https://bitcoinfoundation.org/donate)

Well, not everyone is doing such crazy, brave, and subversive activities as ironing Bitcoin patches on to Chinese textiles.

To say that I was underwhelmed by the 'mega' aspect of the 'megastore' which I just had a peek at would be a bit of an understatement.

5EC948A1 (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 07:05:25 PM

It looks like the cracker has figured out he has been spotted and he moved his 0.5387 stash of loot to 14yMcPkqUVYrXFLwxJdSS34ae7reFmg5PJ.

I assume it's a he.
5EC948A1 (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 07:17:41 PM

The cracker is still going:

Jon Matonis ‏@jonmatonis
Sorry about all the confusion, this is my personal address, donations are appreciated: 14yMcPkqUVYrXFLwxJdSS34ae7reFmg5PJ

With the long weekend in the US this could take until Tuesday to resolve.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 07:59:54 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2013, 08:53:44 PM by jim618

There was a tweet at 20.35 today from Jon's account with a fake MultiBit link that was complete garbage.
Apparently it is some Visual Basic malware.

Almost certainly Jon's twitter account has been hacked.

edit: This tweet has now been deleted.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
threeip

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 09:18:37 PM

Jon Matonis ‏@jonmatonis

2 bad Jon's wallet was encrypted :/

anticapt

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 09:21:46 PM

Jon Matonis ‏@jonmatonis 55m
2 bad Jon's wallet was encrypted :/

Jon Matonis ‏@jonmatonis 1h
Donate bitches <3: 14yMcPkqUVYrXFLwxJdSS34ae7reFmg5PJ

Jon Matonis ‏@jonmatonis 1h
Jon, why are you ignoring me? </3

Recent posts..
Vycid

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 01:56:04 AM

The cracker is still going:
Almost certainly Jon's twitter account has been hacked.

Sure, it can't be Twitter staff is doing it on command, for fun or something else. Why would they do it? They are just cool company offerring "make your stalker's life easier" services,
heavily backed by anti-cryptocoin kind of people, no?

The tinfoil is reaching critical mass.

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 02:06:48 AM

==========
Jon Matonis
@jonmatonis
Board advisor to startups in bitcoin, gaming, mobile & prepaid. Previously CEO of Hushmail.
==========

--- latest tweet ---
Jon Matonis ‏@jonmatonis 38m
If you donate ill suck your dick, or eat you out (ladies):
14yMcPkqUVYrXFLwxJdSS34ae7reFmg5PJ
----------------------

Ouch!  That can't help is 'advisory' credentials much.  At least in terms of advising about security...

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 02:35:59 AM

Just a heads-up that the guy's twitter account looks cleaned up, but the last post downloads a binary:

Code:
  file ~/Bitcoin.exe 
  Bitcoin.exe: PE32 executable for MS Windows (GUI) Intel 80386 32-bit Mono/.Net assembly

SHA256 (Bitcoin.exe) = 8de78e122abe638554cd3e824e7d13975cb3886817e4666aeee081dc77e10ace

Caution is advised for those on Windows.  Put more clearly, it would likely be a bad idea to execute it.

Edit: Aaaand it's gone!  If anyone wishes to take a crack at de-compiling it, PM me.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 02:44:20 AM

==========
Jon Matonis
@jonmatonis
Board advisor to startups in bitcoin, gaming, mobile & prepaid. Previously CEO of Hushmail.
==========

--- latest tweet ---
Jon Matonis ‏@jonmatonis 38m
If you donate ill suck your dick, or eat you out (ladies):
14yMcPkqUVYrXFLwxJdSS34ae7reFmg5PJ
----------------------

Ouch!  That can't help is 'advisory' credentials much.  At least in terms of advising about security...

LOL - that's too funny!

Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 02:52:34 AM

Anyone having Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Google+ or similar account or is using any of services provided by (major) corporations or other service providers who are heavily backed
by the system and is involved with cryptocoins at the same time is an idiot, period.

Jon has done a lot for the progression of Bitcoin over the past years.

Not a nice thing to say mate!

threeip

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 02:56:20 AM

Anyone having Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Google+ or similar account or is using any of services provided by (major) corporations or other service providers who are heavily backed
by the system and is involved with cryptocoins at the same time is an idiot, period.

Yes but how the f- does the man who ceo'd Hushmail get his Twitter 'hacked'?

Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 03:02:12 AM

Yes but how the f- does the man who ceo'd Hushmail get his Twitter 'hacked'?

That might have been the problem. Not 
by the system and is involved with cryptocoins at the same time

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 03:15:48 AM

Sure, it can't be Twitter staff is doing it on command, for fun or something else. Why would they do it? They are just cool company offerring "make your stalker's life easier" services,
heavily backed by anti-cryptocoin kind of people, no?

The tinfoil is reaching critical mass.

Maybe, maybe not (and probably not for BM's hypothesis though I would not rule it out.)

My Android phone was hacked some months ago with what seems to perhaps have been a zero-day and my mail seems to have been broken into in that attack.  It was dumb luck that the phone had connectivity only briefly or I may not have ever known.  The attacker seemed to be clumsy though (or very very good...sometimes it's hard to tell.)

I now no longer allow my phone or Windows machine access to my real mail which is awfully inconvenient, but what can ya do?  Hopefully for Jon, he was similarly careful.

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 03:37:36 AM

-----
 Jon Matonis ‏@jonmatonis 5m
His email was plastered everywhere, I got into his Yahoo (Not bruteforce), took his Twitter, forbes account, etc. @octal
Expand
-----

I'll be looking forward to the new Jon's blog post of Forbes Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: