Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:47:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-09-11]Alleged BTC-e Operator Claims Innocence in New Interview  (Read 2938 times)
Jating (OP)

Activity: 2926
Merit: 808

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 11:13:00 AM

In his first interview since his arrest, alleged BTC-e operator Alexander Vinnik has said he is innocent of charges brought against him by the U.S. government.

Arrested in Greece in July following an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice, the Russian native is currently being held there on charges of money laundering and operating an "unlicensed monetary service" until he can be extradited to the U.S. Vinnik refused to allow himself to be voluntarily extradited.

In the interview with Russia Today, Vinnik said:

"I do not consider myself guilty … The fact that I worked for BTC-e and did my job, and it's not justifiable to accuse me of it. I found out about the charge about a month after I was taken into custody. This was told to me by my Russian lawyer."

Source: https://www.coindesk.com/alleged-btc-e-administrator-i-do-not-consider-myself-guilty/
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 12:13:26 PM

Obviously, no one will openly admit to be responsible for what is being claimed. I however can't see him going anywhere in the comings months, maybe even years -- the US authorities won't just be letting him go so easily, especially not while the investigations of the MtGox theft are running. I personally don't really care what is happening as long as btc-e returns as promised, and I have gained enough confidence to believe in a good outcome for people after them having started refunding people recently.
Jating (OP)

Activity: 2926
Merit: 808

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 12:24:54 PM

Obviously, no one will openly admit to be responsible for what is being claimed. I however can't see him going anywhere in the comings months, maybe even years -- the US authorities won't just be letting him go so easily, especially not while the investigations of the MtGox theft are running. I personally don't really care what is happening as long as btc-e returns as promised, and I have gained enough confidence to believe in a good outcome for people after them having started refunding people recently.

I agree. His name will be tainted with the 'BTC-e laundered money'. I guess he just trying to protect his name or reputation, but my question is, does he have that reputation to begin with? I think he has been involving himself to a lot of scam and I remember some Legendary Member here posting links about him his company and the history of scams that he is alledgely involved.
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 02:42:27 PM

This is an interesting case to begin with. Now, if the accused is really telling the truth then am sure that he can prove it on court and all the accusations no less by the US government can slowly withered under the heat of the Florida sunshine. I am sure he got the money which he can use to hire a very good lawyer right there in the USA. We will see which side will prevail but let's also hope that the trial will be fair and will be free from any interference from anyone in power. I also hate scammers but of course the accused remains innocent until proven guilty so the burden of proofs has to come from the accuser and not the other way around. Guilty or not guilty...that we will see!
Wayan_Pedjeng

Activity: 913
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 06:26:18 PM

He should have avoided Greece, which is basically an American vassal country. But now it is too late. My guess is that he will get life without parole, just like the Silk Road mastermind Ross Ulbricht.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: