Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:43:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rig setup - garage or basement?  (Read 1909 times)
Convington (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 11:26:47 AM

As I plan out my first rig, I was curious if anyone had set theirs up in their garage?  I'm assuming yes to that... Now, what about a non-temperature-controlled garage?  I'm in a fairly cold climate (Wisconsin).  I would like to use that to my advantage, but afraid the boards would condensate during winter instead of just remain cool. 

Anyone try or is this not worth it?  If not - probably best in 65 degree basement... but the noise would escape to our main floor would be my concern, so was hoping the garage idea might work.

thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2533

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:24:28 PM

As I plan out my first rig, I was curious if anyone had set theirs up in their garage?  I'm assuming yes to that... Now, what about a non-temperature-controlled garage?  I'm in a fairly cold climate (Wisconsin).  I would like to use that to my advantage, but afraid the boards would condensate during winter instead of just remain cool. 

Anyone try or is this not worth it?  If not - probably best in 65 degree basement... but the noise would escape to our main floor would be my concern, so was hoping the garage idea might work.
thanks!
Um you didn't do well in science classes did you.... Wink
Ya got that backwards. Condensation occurs on surfaces that are cooler than the dew point of the warmer air. When running the equipment will be warmer than the ambient air so no sweating is possible.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
trinaldao
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

Post your ann & bounty just contact me

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 01:30:43 PM

to risk in basement you didnt have good air circulation

*Google , apple, microsoft, dell born from garage maybe your mining bussinis will big from garage  Grin LOL

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
Elphamyto

Activity: 117
Merit: 16

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:43:01 PM

The units will only get condensation on them if they are turned off for a period of time (i.e. long enough to get cold). If the miners are left on then the condensation will typically form on/around exhaust vents, ducts, fans, or anywhere that warm air comes into contact with the cooler air from outside. If you have washer/dryer units in your basement or garage, that may be a good starting point in determining where not to mine.

I live in Texas and run a semi-garage setup in the late fall and winter months (semi because it really isn't big enough to be a garage). It's more like a room behind a large car port that's separate from the main house. The room is small which is good as I can use a single 10" inline fan to suck all the hot air out of room and pull cool air in from outside. It's also surprisingly quiet, but it probably depends largely on how thick your walls and insulation are. When you have a cold-weather environment and you invest in the correct size intake/exhaust fans, the toughest part really isn't controlling the heat but rather getting the necessary amount of electricity safely to that area.
Convington (OP)

Activity: 68

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 03:29:57 PM

lol - thanks for giving me all the shit Smiley

I did do well in science class, but as I whipped through that post - I didn't really consider how I was saying things.  I was more worried about frost forming to be honest and causing problems (now that I think about it) and if that could melt (condensation really isn't the proper word for that).

I did a little more research and did more googling.  I just figured since most of these rigs are running higher heat than most computers are, then there could be some folks doing this already and telling me "it's ok" Smiley 

Thanks!
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 08:20:08 PM

I run miners in my garage sometimes during the winter and I observed that humidity was never really a huge issue (I live in NW PA where we get lots of snow and winter precipitation). If it gets to be an issue you can get dehumidifier for real cheap that you can empty out once a day; they work quite well.

The basement can be quite good for mining as well, but as you said sound does leak to aboveground floors and in my case it is very noticeable. The basement is also cooler most of the time, so that is a small advantage. Just make sure to have at least some way for air to get out, though.
gecox22

Activity: 778
Merit: 515

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 01:02:59 AM

I run mine in the basement with a window open all year long up in Northern NH. They keep my basement warm in the winter months and the air flow through the house in the summer keeps them cool. I put a filter on the window to catch most of the dust and pollen. But I am also a hobby miners so I am only running 2 s7's and 2 s5's so the noise bad if my basement door is closed I can barely hear them if there is complete silence, but I also have my fans turned down to 20% percent on my s7's and temps are just under 70 degrees. The s5's are louder at 40% fan speed at just under 60 degrees. So not to bad. I should up grade the fans on the s5's to get the noise level even better.

Philopolymath

Activity: 558
Merit: 295

Walter Russell's Cosmogony is RIGHT!

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 02:02:58 AM

NEIGHBOURS garage is better

Support Alien Beer Circle research...www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRXDk2RMQ4A
sikkan

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 03:24:26 AM

for heating efficency i´d go basement! Better to use the heat from miners Smiley But if noise is a concern, try building a box/crate around it with some sound dampening material around it (but still good airflow obviously).

If its still not possible, well, then its the garage then Wink

▄▀▀▄         ▄▀▀▄
     ▀▄▄▀         ▀▄▄▀              ▄▄
       █           ▐▌           ▄▄▄█  █
       █      ▄▄████████▄▄    ▄█▀   ▀▀
       █▄▄▄▄████████████████▄█▀ 
         ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄ 
        ██████▀         ▐███████
 ▄▄    ▐█████▌   ▄████▄▄████████▌    ▄▄
█  █▄▄▄███████▄     ▀▀███████████▄▄▄█  █
 ▀▀    ██████████▄▄     ▀████████    ▀▀
       ▐███████▀▀████▀   ▐██████▌
        ██████▌         ▄███████
         ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
          ▄█████████████████▀▀▀▀█
        ▄█▀   ▀▀████████▀▀      █
       █▀          ▐▌           █
       █            ▀▀▀█        █
      ▄▀▀▄            ▄▀▀▄     ▄▀▀▄
      ▀▄▄▀            ▀▄▄▀     ▀▄▄▀

SOVREN

Blockchain Innovation for Securities Markets      Current STO Sale Price
          Trade. Pay. Borrow. Play.   ─────────────────────        1 SVRN = $1.00

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄██████
              ▄▄▄█████▀▀████▌
        ▄▄▄████████▀ ▄██████
  ▄▄▄██████████▀▀  ▄███████▌
▀███████████▀   ▄██████████
   ▀▀▀███▀    ▄███████████▌
        █▌  ██████████████
        ▐█ ██████████████▌
         █████▀ ▀████████
          ██▀      ▀████▌
                      ▀▀
Cane1989

Activity: 235
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 05:11:24 PM

put it there where you have a better air circulation and where is better secured.

▐▐   ▬▬▬▬▬   DeepOnion   ▬▬▬▬▬   ▌▌
████    40 PUBLIC AIRDROPS COMPLETED    TOR INTEGRATED    ████
▬▬▬▬   (✔) DeepVault Blockchain File Signatures  •  VoteCentral Your Vote Counts  •  deeponion.org   ▬▬▬▬
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 07:56:34 PM

If you have more than one or 2 miners, garage is probably a better idea - usually a lot easier to get ventilation going in a garage.

A basement that has some of those "sunken" below ground level windows, and some way to be able to OPEN those windows, might be viable.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
24core

Activity: 582

An Impressive Purely Anonymous Currency.

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 03:35:28 AM

thanks!

One thing I had done in the past when I first started mining is in the winter, I dispersed my Bitcoin mining rigs through the house and saved in the cost of electricity by about 40% because I was cutting down on what would go to the heater otherwise. GPUs run at 75C or about 160F. I highly suggest you build your mining setup in your basement because a garage can reach high-temperature speeds, and in many cases is not temperature controlled.  If you do however live in a cold area, a garage would be an ideal place. You can always move your mining rig to your basement when it is no longer cold.

sikkan

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 05:20:55 AM

thanks!

One thing I had done in the past when I first started mining is in the winter, I dispersed my Bitcoin mining rigs through the house and saved in the cost of electricity by about 40% because I was cutting down on what would go to the heater otherwise. GPUs run at 75C or about 160F. I highly suggest you build your mining setup in your basement because a garage can reach high-temperature speeds, and in many cases is not temperature controlled.  If you do however live in a cold area, a garage would be an ideal place. You can always move your mining rig to your basement when it is no longer cold.

That too! Move it to where its needed Smiley Sometimes I wish I had an house with a basement so I could use my rigs there. House is too new and energy effiecient to accomodate any miner inside. It would be very very hot. And too noisy ofcourse :p

▄▀▀▄         ▄▀▀▄
     ▀▄▄▀         ▀▄▄▀              ▄▄
       █           ▐▌           ▄▄▄█  █
       █      ▄▄████████▄▄    ▄█▀   ▀▀
       █▄▄▄▄████████████████▄█▀ 
         ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄ 
        ██████▀         ▐███████
 ▄▄    ▐█████▌   ▄████▄▄████████▌    ▄▄
█  █▄▄▄███████▄     ▀▀███████████▄▄▄█  █
 ▀▀    ██████████▄▄     ▀████████    ▀▀
       ▐███████▀▀████▀   ▐██████▌
        ██████▌         ▄███████
         ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
          ▄█████████████████▀▀▀▀█
        ▄█▀   ▀▀████████▀▀      █
       █▀          ▐▌           █
       █            ▀▀▀█        █
      ▄▀▀▄            ▄▀▀▄     ▄▀▀▄
      ▀▄▄▀            ▀▄▄▀     ▀▄▄▀

SOVREN

Blockchain Innovation for Securities Markets      Current STO Sale Price
          Trade. Pay. Borrow. Play.   ─────────────────────        1 SVRN = $1.00

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄██████
              ▄▄▄█████▀▀████▌
        ▄▄▄████████▀ ▄██████
  ▄▄▄██████████▀▀  ▄███████▌
▀███████████▀   ▄██████████
   ▀▀▀███▀    ▄███████████▌
        █▌  ██████████████
        ▐█ ██████████████▌
         █████▀ ▀████████
          ██▀      ▀████▌
                      ▀▀
Miningstore

Activity: 107
Merit: 1

Miningstore.com - Mining Rigs and Rig Hosting

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2017, 07:19:30 PM

I would be worried about the moisture in the air in your basement more so than noise or heat because those things are not detrimental, but condensation inside your rig will destroy your components

Host your Antminer S9 starting at $82 a unit at www.miningstore.com
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 01:04:04 AM

I would be worried about the moisture in the air in your basement more so than noise or heat because those things are not detrimental, but condensation inside your rig will destroy your components

i mine in my basement. while the humidity occasional goes up due to heavy rain it has never been enough to effect the mining rig or the freenas box next to it. been running a couple years now worse comes to worse i run a dehumidifier.

main concern is ventilating it well.
Meech

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 01:58:07 AM
Last edit: October 13, 2017, 02:36:20 AM by Meech

Garages are fine as long as the intake air from a vent isn't right on it.  Even in a cold climate the rig needs proper venting.  1 rig at least a box fan blowing out a vent and vents for incoming without a fan should be fine.  (as well as a circulating fan on the rig itself).  You'd be surprised how much heat is put out with just a few cards.

If you plan to have it in the basement, noise not heat would be the concern.  Then you can vent the heat upstairs and turn down your thermostat.  I'd choose during the fall to heat my house and earn coin rather than pay electricity for heat and rigs.

On the condensation note:  Inside the garage or basement isn't a concern once you have it run for a day.  It will dehumidify any home!😉
kinzey

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

Blockchain with solar energy

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 11:49:19 AM

I would put it in the garage. More air.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  [     CRYPTOS⚫LARTECH      ]  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
  White Paper     ||   BLOCKCHAIN & ENERGY FOR A BETTER WORLD   ||     One Pager 
Telegram      Facebook      Twitter      [[     TOKEN SALE is LIVE     ]]      Medium      Youtube      Reddit
infested999

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:09:39 PM

You should have a very good venting for your rigs. Placing into a basement will warm it ain 2 days. It needs to be placed into a good venting rom

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
helen_davis87

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 01:11:36 PM

+1 more for garage as well.
Mainly due to the air ventelation. Basement isn't such a bad idea in general, but it's just not as good as garage
Jake052478

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

I will do wonder for YOU!!!

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 10:30:45 PM

Better air circulation is a must if you are building a rig... I don't think it will frost or anything like that if it is switch on steadily.  Heat from computers I think are dangerous specially putting it in the basement.  The chance of having a fire is high if it short circuit of anything like that.  The whole house would be in jeopardy in case..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: