Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 05:33:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using blocks from windows folder into linux folder  (Read 616 times)
neurotypical (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 12:54:15 PM

I want to run a Bitcoin Core full node in a linux machine that is brand new. I don't want to go throught the hell of syncing from scratch, so I don't see any other way out but to get the "blocks" and  "chainstate" folders copypasted into the linux Bitcoin folder, this is an acceptable practice?

How long can I expect for it to take in a Quadcore with 7 GB of ram and a regular 7200 rpm HDD ?
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2111

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 04:11:23 PM

I want to run a Bitcoin Core full node in a linux machine that is brand new. I don't want to go throught the hell of syncing from scratch, so I don't see any other way out but to get the "blocks" and  "chainstate" folders copypasted into the linux Bitcoin folder, this is an acceptable practice?

How long can I expect for it to take in a Quadcore with 7 GB of ram and a regular 7200 rpm HDD ?

I don't see why not, as it wouldn't be much different from loading the bootstrap torrent data into your datadir.

Not sure how long it will take for Bitcoin Core to scan the blockchain though, it's been a while since I used a thick client.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 04:15:15 PM

Probably the simplest way to know is by copying a file, like a movie and seeing how much it takes, then multiply it by 153000/<file size in MB>.
Should be pretty simple.

Technically things like the amount of free space on a hard drive and the how fragmented your disk is would affect the time estimates.

I can tell you how much such a test took on my machine, with a same hard drive rpm and ram. It would take about 2 and a half hours to copy a blockchain from one folder to another on the same hard drive. This is without taking into account free space and fragmentation of files.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 04:34:38 PM

Probably the simplest way to know is by copying a file, like a movie and seeing how much it takes, then multiply it by 153000/<file size in MB>.
Should be pretty simple.

Technically things like the amount of free space on a hard drive and the how fragmented your disk is would affect the time estimates.

I can tell you how much such a test took on my machine, with a same hard drive rpm and ram. It would take about 2 and a half hours to copy a blockchain from one folder to another on the same hard drive. This is without taking into account free space and fragmentation of files.

On the same hard drive it takes two and a half hours? All it has to do is change the index the data is stored (which takes about 5 minutes). Unless you're putting it on a different drive then it might take 2 hours. Also, it depends on how you connect it sata is faster than USB.

Back to OPs question, it should be the same data files as they're both programmed in a similar language and need the same data to be stored.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 08:42:29 PM

Should be pretty simple.

On the same hard drive it takes two and a half hours? All it has to do is change the index the data is stored (which takes about 5 minutes). Unless you're putting it on a different drive then it might take 2 hours. Also, it depends on how you connect it sata is faster than USB.

Back to OPs question, it should be the same data files as they're both programmed in a similar language and need the same data to be stored.

It takes 2 hours to copy, not move. Moving is just moving the pointers or whatever it actually uses, copying is straight up reading and then writing.
It is really hard to know what exact setup OP has. Of course that if he just moved the data folder it would take practically no time at all.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 08:49:47 PM

Should be pretty simple.

It takes 2 hours to copy, not move. Moving is just moving the pointers or whatever it actually uses, copying is straight up reading and then writing.
It is really hard to know what exact setup OP has. Of course that if he just moved the data folder it would take practically no time at all.

Ah yes, my mistake. You're right, copying it would take about 2-3 hours with that much ram and cpu power (depending on the OS lag).

@OP, what's the speed of the quad core? I.E, A 2.6GHz Quad Core will process much slower than a 5.2GHz Quad Core.
Reindexing the blocks on the disk will probably take no more than 3 days (that's a pessamistic estimate but with that amount of ram and a fast HDD that'd be about the max). It'll tell you how long it'll take itselfonce the "syncing headers" process has finished.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: