Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:27:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ColoredCoins -- need some technical and economics advise  (Read 377 times)
KawalGrover (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 06:50:11 PM

During the Bitcoin 2013 conference, there was mention of colored coins.

I'm still new to forums and have a hard time searching the information I need so this may already be asked. But here it is goes.

My understanding is that colored coins are just another layer built on top of the protocol that can allow you to take a bitcoin and divide it up into tinier pieces (100 million of them) and 'mark' or label them as something.

Say, someone wanted to issue shares for a company.

My question is this. If a town wanted to just create its own currency, and take one bitcoin and 'color' (label) each satoshi in that bitcoin and call it a Foxy.

1. Then at the most there will ONLY ever be 100 million Foxies??

2. And those foxies would not really be further divisible into smaller units??

3. So if the town now had a huge influx of people or the amount of goods and services they were trading went really high, then there really wouldn't be a way for them to go past 100 million units? (i.e, the unit is not further divisible now). i.e, is it technically possible to be able to trade in 'decimals of foxies'?

Any guidance both technical and from an economics standpoint are welcome and appreciated!

Kawal
http://www.swatopia.org
killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1033

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 07:34:50 AM

My question is this. If a town wanted to just create its own currency, and take one bitcoin and 'color' (label) each satoshi in that bitcoin and call it a Foxy.

1. Then at the most there will ONLY ever be 100 million Foxies??

In theory you can take another coin and say that those are Foxies too.

This isn't implemented in software now, but it is an expected feature.

2. And those foxies would not really be further divisible into smaller units??

Yes, that's a limitation of the technology... Although there are some alternative proposals.

Chromia: a better dapp platform
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: