Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 10:16:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Way to get round the 5 post limit...  (Read 10343 times)
Ghost42

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:40:13 PM

I guess if you're new around here, it couldn't harm to do some more reading Smiley

The problem for many people actually is the reading thing. Reading requires a certain ability of understanding, disciplin and concentraion on the reading and not to forget some patience. Not everyone possesses these skills at a sufficient level.
That does not link especially to this forum, I am encountering this problem almost daily, even at the university.
rashly

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:51:03 PM

I guess that it makes us "work" to sue this forum. Keeps spammers and people that aren't serious out of it.
xminerx

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

quickest cross blockchain transactions

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:54:17 PM

Users should initially only be able to make one post. This post would need to be validated by another poster, its quality assessed. If it passes, the new user is free to post where he wants, no strings attached.

So not a way around the current limit, but a whole new system. You're welcome.

ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 10:55:46 PM

Lets have a Bitcoin quiz. If folks score above 70%, then they can post immediately. It will help the more informed people get going and contribute right away while the real newbies can spend time in this forum, learn and make silly comments and suggestions (like this one).
45kaliber

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:34:17 AM

Lets have a Bitcoin quiz. If folks score above 70%, then they can post immediately. It will help the more informed people get going and contribute right away while the real newbies can spend time in this forum, learn and make silly comments and suggestions (like this one).

Not a silly suggestion IMHO. An Initial quiz could work.
NexusFlow

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:37:47 AM

...it's so simple!

All you have to do is join in this thread and provide a better solution to the 5 post + time limit. If it works, it'll get implemented.

Please note, you have to fully explain why it's better than the existing system and explain how it'll work whilst being no more time intensive for Mods to implement.

Good luck everyone!

[Other newbies should feel free to discuss any solutions - pitch in, it's a community!]

My solution is to spam post in this thread 5 times...

I know it is meant to stop spam, but all you are going to get is 5 spam posts just so the person can post in the section they want.  I actually want to post in a thread I am buying some hardware from, but I can't unless I put 5 useless "+1" posts somewhere...

I agree bobsmith652, I've signed up for a group buy, but have do 5 lame ass post so I can PM and verify my identity.
NexusFlow

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:41:30 AM

I guess if you're new around here, it couldn't harm to do some more reading Smiley

The problem for many people actually is the reading thing. Reading requires a certain ability of understanding, disciplin and concentraion on the reading and not to forget some patience. Not everyone possesses these skills at a sufficient level.
That does not link especially to this forum, I am encountering this problem almost daily, even at the university.

Ghost42, I read a lot of post, but am not inclined to reply to a thread unless I'm going to be able make a meaning contribution, rather than "yeah, I agree..." peeps who just want the gratification of increasing # of posts / needing to be seen.
NexusFlow

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:44:08 AM

Yeah because it SO difficult to write 5 posts  Roll Eyes

Waiting for four hours is the hard part of being in the newbie zone - I mean how hard is it to write 5 posts!

Ethicoin, writing a post isn't hard. It is whether what your saying in the post is meaniful / useful. I need 5 posts so I can complete my group buy identification. The 4 hours was a bit of a pain as well.
NexusFlow

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:47:39 AM

Lol ruletheworld, that would certainly reduce the number of posters. I would prefer to see a peer review model introduce, where by senior posters can flag poster who abuse / spam the forum. These posters could firstly be warned, then if behaviour continues suspended from posting.
ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 03:25:44 AM

Lol ruletheworld, that would certainly reduce the number of posters. I would prefer to see a peer review model introduce, where by senior posters can flag poster who abuse / spam the forum. These posters could firstly be warned, then if behaviour continues suspended from posting.

It wouldn't. It goes without saying that the quiz would be optional, if you want to bypass this procedure.
chauncywicks

Activity: 35

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:28:58 AM

5 posts is perfectly fine... that may take all of a couple minutes.

I just don't like the active browsing time capture - I use multiple monitors and often I'll load something lengthy on my off-monitor and continue browsing or gaming on my primary and the timer just stops completely while I'm reading. Not a huge deal, it just really means I need to put in a solid 4 hours of ACTIVE browsing CONSTANTLY instead of reading at my own leisure. :S Disappointing is all, to have such a huge hurdle to get out of newbie jail. Definitely an obstacle that is frustrating to overcome to participate actively in this community.
chauncywicks

Activity: 35

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:31:33 AM

It wouldn't. It goes without saying that the quiz would be optional, if you want to bypass this procedure.

I like this idea. I am very familiar with bitcoin and would love the opportunity to take a quick quiz to get out of newbie jail. The only issues would obviously be:
#1) Someone provides quiz answers to bypass this check (passive)
#2) Someone takes the quiz for you (active)

I already received many emails wishing to purchase my bitcointalk account since my email address was public (I'm assuming for free XRP?) so really no matter what people will find ways around.
s40ward

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:38:18 AM

I agree with the quiz idea!  That sounds great.  The counterpoint I figure is the exclusivity of membership tests.  You want to welcome the outside community, right?  I suppose both options could be offered.  Browse for 4 hours (to learn) or test in to membership. 

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." -Bertrand Russell
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
gmerk

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 06:38:17 AM

Isn't posting 5 pointless comments here a way to overcome the limit...?
 Smiley
grimsbymatt

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 07:12:04 AM

5 posts isn't so many, surely? I've been members of forums that need 50 or more. I've never seen a time requirement, though. 4 hours of active browsing seems excessive, and surely something a bot could be programmed to do more easily than for a real person to do???
pcboy

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 07:54:19 AM

That's not really the point.

Bitcoin is about freedom. This system is just making bitcoin users looking like elitists and is against the values behind bitcoin.
This is not preventing spam at all... You can even pay mechanical turk people for spamming nowadays.
xorpheus

Activity: 75

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 08:41:29 AM

There's nothing wrong (nor anything especially right) with the 5 post thing. The problem is in the 4 hour restriction.  Why? Here is my experience to date:

Let's say you've made your 5 posts... now you go on to a more interesting forum, and have something interesting to contribute, you go looking for the reply or quote button, but it's not there. What do you do? Say "screw it, that's right, I'm still a newb", then surf to another site.  You come back the next day, thinking, ok, i'm gonna put in my time.  You read a number of threads, maybe for 10 minutes or so, then you feel like you have something to contribute.  But still, no quote or reply buttons. Grumble, grumble, rinse repeat. Time goes up by only 10-20 minutes a day.

I completely understand the need for some newbie vetting process - I have moderated other forums, and know the challenges mods and admins face. But the 4 hour thing is chafing my you-know-whats.

</rant>

I tend to agree with this.  I scan text and can read extremely fast, as I'm sure most geek/nerd/coder types can also do.  I have a full time (+overtime) job, 3 kids and all sorts of duties around the house, not to mention sleeping.  It will take me probably one to two weeks to get to four hours!  How is it measured anyway?  Presumably a maximum time between page requests or the elapsed time doesn't count at all?
w00dchuck

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 09:01:23 AM

What about providing a telephone number, which is called automatically and where you are presented an access code? Couldn't that be a hurdle for trolls and spammers?
xorpheus

Activity: 75

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 09:01:57 AM

Isn't posting 5 pointless comments here a way to overcome the limit...?
 Smiley

It seems that way, yes.
w00dchuck

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 09:03:38 AM

What about providing a telephone number, which is called automatically and where you are presented an access code? Couldn't that be a hurdle for trolls and spammers?

or SMS...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: