Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:54:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Kraken account locked, support isn't helping, what can I do?  (Read 2550 times)
z1926 (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 08:22:22 AM

I got locked out of my Kraken account because something went wrong with the 2FA, I can't honestly say if its their fault or my fault, but judging by the number of errors generated by their site, I will not automatically conclude it's my fault. I did save the key for the 2FA and tried to restore it but that didn't work.  Their website is totally ambiguous about what to do if this happens.  They have a 2FA bypass request form which generates a green success message saying that if the input data matches their records (it does) a bypass code will be sent. However the form itself is contradictory saying both that if you don't have a "master key" you can't do it and below that that a master key is "optional".  In any case I know the info I am entering is correct and the form generates a green success message that says "if the data matches our records, you'll receive a code" - it does, but no code is ever sent.

see: https://s26.postimg.org/rsaejr9a1/form.png
and: https://s26.postimg.org/4yhgaikl5/message.png

Support is totally unhelpful. I have had more than 15 exchanges with them and they have made no attempt to actually give me access to my account. They don't seem to have any process in place and just seem to be making things up as they go.  Every detailed answer to a question generates another round of more questions or repeating the same questions they already asked and already received an answer to or shuffling the request between employees and/or departments.  After giving them extremely detailed information only I could know about the account, including down to the last cent details on account activities that took place as long as a year+ ago, they told me what they really want... or so I thought and hoped...  A photo of the ID I used to register, and a few more additional details. If they are not being disingenuous, then they are operating from the default assumption that my e-mail account is hacked along with multiple other accounts besides my e-mail and kraken accounts. Furthermore, if they were to take into account my login login details (IPs, location, etc.) they would also have to assume that my account has been hacked since more than a month and I didn't notice or that I was being held captive in some basement while somebody is using my account for more than a month.

Luckily I was able to determine what ID I used to register with and luckily I still have it!  Since they accept a long list of different ID types (including driver's licenses), some of which expire and have to be renewed which changes the ID details, what would happen if the user didn't even have that ID anymore?  They don't seem to have any plan in place for that since it took more than 10 rounds of back and forth for them to even decide that an ID photo was what they really wanted in order to give my account back.  Prior to providing an ID photo, support reps might respond within a few hours to a day, of course they never did anything useful or helpful, but at least they were pretending like they were doing something.  After sending them everything they wanted, they've totally disappeared into thin air.  Their "escalate ticket form" doesn't seem to do anything at all: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScCdK0IeMKRdYQUrpZRte71T_ksukoCU_7nnssYWSgrpoYMkA/viewform?fbzx=-1724293387715416600  Trying to get their attention on social media has no result either other than sometimes pointing users to the "escalate ticket form".  

With all their talk about "security" and "verification" they have just forced me to put my entire life's history (at least as far as it relates to my interaction with their company) into insecure emails and into their ticketing system which is certainly of at least questionable security... and they still haven't done anything at all to help.  

I was once locked out of my account once in the past with Kraken and I remember it was an absolute disaster taking days to get back in, so I hesitated to enable another layer of security that I wasn't absolutely certain I could reset by myself if something went wrong.  After an internal debate I thought better safe than sorry since I had some trades pending.  I regret it now, I've learned twice in a row, the threat of someone hacking your password during some one or two or three day period when you're trying to make some trades is far less than the threat of having to deal with Kraken themselves.  It appears they can hold accounts hostage as long as they want for whatever arbitrary reason they want, or no reason at all.

It really feels like they are going out of their way to keep the account locked as long as possible and to require as much correspondence as possible with support.  There is no way a business motivated by resolving tickets as quickly and efficiently as possible would behave like this.  If they were being up front and honest and know what they are doing (i.e. have a clear process in place) they should have been able to clear this up in the very first exchange - say up front what they want, receive it, send 2FA bypass code.  Pretty simple and straight forward.  Now days later, nothing has been accomplished except wasting a lot of my time and continuing to keep me locked out of my account forcing me to take to social media and write long winded explanations of what they are screwing up, how and why.  Just fix the problem!

Add to all of this the fact that Kraken.com generates tons of 502 errors or gives error messages saying "this feature is temporarily disabled" for withdrawals whenever anything significant happens in the market.

If I lost a credit or debit card, I could make one phone call and get it replaced in 15 minutes.  With Kraken all I can do is submit a ticket and pray?  Where is the telephone support? Where is the direct contact info to somebody that can actually do something?  As much as we'd all like to move on to finance and money 2.0, I have to say even the worst bank I've ever dealt with is better than any bitcoin exchange, especially Kraken.

At this point I am wondering is Kraken just incredibly incompetent or are they doing this on purpose?  Do they look at customers who are locked out of their account as ways to guarantee themselves some additional liquidity for a finite period of time that only they can control?  Or are they just terrible at their job?  It has to be one or the other.

Crytpo currencies are great but the exchanges are just awful!

SCCFX

Activity: 307
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 08:36:33 AM

is good if you problem post in kraken official announcement thread
this kraken announcement thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=290799.0
z1926 (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 08:54:58 AM

is good if you problem post in kraken official announcement thread
this kraken announcement thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=290799.0

Thanks for the tip
Specterminate

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 09:28:03 AM

Kraken is a huge business and is receiving many requests on a daily basis, that's the negative thing about big businesses.. they don't care about one unsatisfied guy because they have another thousand who are satisfied. I'd change the exchange overall if I were you
z1926 (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 09:32:16 AM

Kraken is a huge business and is receiving many requests on a daily basis, that's the negative thing about big businesses.. they don't care about one unsatisfied guy because they have another thousand who are satisfied. I'd change the exchange overall if I were you

They've made that abundantly clear, but if they were a smart huge business, wouldn't they want to solve each ticket with as little back and forth as possible?  So that they spend less on employees doing unproductive work and get the customer back to generating more fees for them as soon as possible?  Hence, I ask, are they just completely incompetent or do they have other motives?

I would like nothing more to change but right now I can't.  What do you recommend if and when they actually reply and do something about this?
manchester93

Activity: 251
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 09:35:32 AM

It's more than just support backlogs. It seems that most exchanges act this way when it comes to granting access to people they worry are not really the account holders. I always considered BTC-e to be quite honorable, but the one bad thing I heard was that it was a nightmare for people trying to recover their accounts in cases like this. People would go back and forth with support for months, providing all the evidence and documentation that was asked for, but they would be stonewalled.

You won't get that much exposure here. I think you should make a thread on r/bitcoinmarkets and cross-post this. I would also advise you to tag their reddit support rep (I think there is one) but I don't know who it is.
z1926 (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 09:59:06 AM

It's more than just support backlogs. It seems that most exchanges act this way when it comes to granting access to people they worry are not really the account holders. I always considered BTC-e to be quite honorable, but the one bad thing I heard was that it was a nightmare for people trying to recover their accounts in cases like this. People would go back and forth with support for months, providing all the evidence and documentation that was asked for, but they would be stonewalled.

You won't get that much exposure here. I think you should make a thread on r/bitcoinmarkets and cross-post this. I would also advise you to tag their reddit support rep (I think there is one) but I don't know who it is.

Jesus, I was hoping this nightmare would be resolved today, it never occurred to me it would take months or I might lose my funds entirely.  This is awful. 

Thanks for the tip.

I tried doing as you said though and my post is being removed somehow.

My Kraken account is locked. After a few days of the run around from Kraken's support they've just disappeared. There is no way to reach them other than submitting a ticket and using their escalation form which has stopped having any results. They could not seem to care less about locking customers out of access to their funds.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2170220.0

/u/krakenexchange /u/krakensupport /u/takopon /u/kraken-josh

Visiting the URL just says "post removed" https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/6zlze7/my_kraken_account_is_locked_and_support_doesnt/

z1926 (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:34:00 AM

If anyone can successfully get it posted on my behalf to a few of the most relevant reddits, especially /r/BitcoinMarkets I'll happily send you a couple bucks worth of ETH and a few more if my account gets unlocked any time soon.

Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 11:13:24 AM

Honestly i would not bother with the Reddit. You don't even know whether or not Kraken staff will be actively responding to your messages. You will get empathy from other users, sure. But that doesn't really help.

Try messaging this guy: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=32856. He is involved with Kraken as a staff member and is quite active(online today, actually). He should be able to help you at least a bit via PM.

If you can't get hold of him via pm complain publicly here(which you've already done it seems, but keep doing it until you get a response): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=290799.0.

z1926 (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 11:26:31 AM

Honestly i would not bother with the Reddit. You don't even know whether or not Kraken staff will be actively responding to your messages. You will get empathy from other users, sure. But that doesn't really help.

Try messaging this guy: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=32856. He is involved with Kraken as a staff member and is quite active(online today, actually). He should be able to help you at least a bit via PM.

If you can't get hold of him via pm complain publicly here(which you've already done it seems, but keep doing it until you get a response): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=290799.0.

Thank you I will try.  If you have any other ideas please let me know.  They're just totally destroying the productivity of my week.  If there is anything I have time to do while they're jerking me around it's to post this all over the place.
AtraxPool

Activity: 84
Merit: 12

Block Hunting

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 11:53:29 AM

r/bitcoin ?  reddit!  come on.. we all know that portal is monitored and posts removed when they don't "fit" with a certain someones views..

Keep at them like already said they might just be reluctent to allow access untill they are 100% sure you are the correct account holder.

Good Luck.

■ BLOCKHUNT ■ «  COMMUNITY BLOCKHUNTING - »  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2207363.0
z1926 (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 12:01:53 PM

Keep at them like already said they might just be reluctent to allow access untill they are 100% sure you are the correct account holder.

Good Luck.

There is no reasonable evidence to suggest that I am not the account holder, and they haven't made any attempt to take any common sense steps like asking "Can we call you on the phone?"  "Can you tell us the last 4 digits of the bank account you used to deposit/withdraw last time", etc.  I answered tons of questions about the kraken account itself, even details dating back many months. For them to conclude that I somehow know those details without being the rightful account owner would mean they concluded the account was hacked weeks earlier and the attacker locked himself out but only after saving all these details or else having compromised my email and many other accounts.  It's totally absurd. 

I don't know how to "keep at them" when all I can do is post a ticket where my messages just get dropped into a black hole with no response.  Do you have any suggestions on how to contact a real person?  Like by telephone for example?  Where else can I "keep at them" and how?

AtraxPool

Block Hunting

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 12:11:56 PM

Good Luck.

There is no reasonable evidence to suggest that I am not the account holder, and they haven't made any attempt to take any common sense steps like asking "Can we call you on the phone?"  "Can you tell us the last 4 digits of the bank account you used to deposit/withdraw last time", etc.  I answered tons of questions about the kraken account itself, even details dating back many months. For them to conclude that I somehow know those details without being the rightful account owner would mean they concluded the account was hacked weeks earlier and the attacker locked himself out but only after saving all these details or else having compromised my email and many other accounts.  It's totally absurd. 

I don't know how to "keep at them" when all I can do is post a ticket where my messages just get dropped into a black hole with no response.  Do you have any suggestions on how to contact a real person?  Like by telephone for example?  Where else can I "keep at them" and how?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraken_(bitcoin_exchange)

Do a compnay search try find a postal address for the company this is the only way I can think if they are not responding to your request.

They are also a reegestered company and have to comply with the rules just like anyone else would you could try find the director of the compnay and make him aware that there is a serious issue.  Or you can just keep trying the support tickets they may just be very very busy at the moment.

Failing that you could (depending on where you are)  take them to court for losses regarding your account if you have paperwork there to prove its your account and you have all the communications there regarding it and they have failed in there duty to address these then I would say you might have a case.

Give them a nudge and make them aware that you may seek legal advice regarding this issue if they are not willing to address the matter and deal with you untill there is satisfactory resolution.

■ BLOCKHUNT ■ «  COMMUNITY BLOCKHUNTING - »  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2207363.0
z1926 (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 12:30:30 PM

I'm 99% convinced they purposely try to avoid unlocking accounts for as long as they possibly can.  After failing to respond for so long they asked for the same ID photo they asked for earlier with no reasonable explanation as for why the other one wasn't good enough.  They didn't even make it clear whether they are denying receiving it (I'm sure they received it) or they are just trying to nitpick some minor detail.  It is common for them to ask for the same things they've already received over and over again.  This is a uniquely horrible company.
AtraxPool

Block Hunting

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 12:48:57 PM

I'm 99% convinced they purposely try to avoid unlocking accounts for as long as they possibly can.  After failing to respond for so long they asked for the same ID photo they asked for earlier with no reasonable explanation as for why the other one wasn't good enough.  They didn't even make it clear whether they are denying receiving it (I'm sure they received it) or they are just trying to nitpick some minor detail.  It is common for them to ask for the same things they've already received over and over again.  This is a uniquely horrible company.

Welcome to the world of crypto! Nothing is ever as simple as it should be.   I can totaly understand how frustrating this must be I am going thru similare process with Wirex They keep rejecting my documnets to verify my account and lift the limits on it.  First time they told me it was becasue I used a PO BOX (turns out the PO Box address is my electricity company address)  so that was fine a mistake was made, I re-submitted them.. I woke up today to a notice saying my documents were (Unaceptable)

So again.. I re-scanned them and sent them..

It seems like its a never ending process. and I can assure you kraken will do the same you just need to keep on at them untill you get the desired result. If not ask for there company regestration number and CEO contact and make them aware you will seek legal advice if they do not pull there socks up!

z1926 (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 12:58:54 PM

It just gets worse and worse and worse and worse: after all this jerking me around, I finally got the first quick response ever... but it says:

"Your account requires a specialist team to unlock."  

No contact info for the specialist team.  No time line.  No recourse.  This is truly one of the worst companies I've ever had to deal with.  

I was already told in the past some bullshit about transferring my ticket to some other department.  

It never ends.

bitjoin

Activity: 1372
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 01:14:18 PM

Can i ask how much are we talking here? thousands?  i want to judge why it might take so long, if lots of money i cant understand time lag.  I am confident they will solve your problem btw, its just there are more people in crypto than ever before, yes its maybe not a good enough excuse.

I did not remember to copy my 2FA key when i made kraken account, opps, now worried if i redo 2FA i mess it up and get locked out like you.

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀
▀▀█████████
██████████████████
█████████▀▀
▀████████████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████████▀

▀██
█████ ███    ███ ███████▀
▀▀███   ██    ██   ███▀▀
.....5 0 1 , 6 5 2 %   A P Y......
|     TWITTER     |    TELEGRAM    |     DISCORD     |
....JOIN NOW....
z1926 (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 01:25:09 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2017, 01:47:48 PM by z1926

Can i ask how much are we talking here? thousands?  i want to judge why it might take so long, if lots of money i cant understand time lag.  I am confident they will solve your problem btw, its just there are more people in crypto than ever before, yes its maybe not a good enough excuse.

It's not enough to justify some kind of massive internal investigation.  They know who I am there is no question.  They have no reason to believe I have been hacked

I did not remember to copy my 2FA key when i made kraken account, opps, now worried if i redo 2FA i mess it up and get locked out like you.

You should be very worried. That's exactly what I tried to do, enable 2FA to protect my account and save the private key backup and something got screwed up in that process.
z1926 (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 01:33:21 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2017, 01:44:18 PM by z1926

Found a number, for "Payward, Inc." aka Kraken: (+1) 650-434-2889 (https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=260965170) - it's a Google voice number with an anonymous outgoing voicemail message...

Here is one other number they apparently used in the past, another anonymous mobile number: (+1) 916-267-4413

How and why can they so successfully hide their phone number? 

It's easier to find a working number for some lawyers suing them, than it is to find a working phone number for them: http://www.almcms.com/contrib/content/uploads/sites/292/2017/07/1.-2017-7-3-CLASS-ACTION-COMPLAINT-Clark-et-al-v-Kraken.pdf

<sarcasm>Also nice to know</sarcasm>: https://digiconomist.net/fraud-risk-assessment-kraken
bitjoin

Activity: 1372
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 01:49:49 PM

Dude i would give it 24 hours from now, take a walk, try to chill out, i know its frustrating, i'd be the same.  To give you some confidence i have been moving money in and out for last few months from kraken, fiat, crypto etc etc no problems.  You've probably got their attention now with the posts, just have to wait a bit.  My mrs did a verfication recently took nearly a week for that to go through.

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀