Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 05:37:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 100Mbps or 1Gbps ethernet router  (Read 1069 times)
mrreese

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

In CryptoCurrency We trust .

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 09:52:50 AM

with how much rig dont make trouble, go to buy ubiquiti unifi security gateway (https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/)(router) and ubiquiti switch, all gbs internet, mining dont need much connection but have a good  router and switch is better
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 12:47:24 PM

I'm not sure how much longer that will last, but might be longer than many folks think - 100 MBPS is plenty for most business usage, a LOT of companies are wired for Cat 5 (which does NOT support Gigabit for anything other than very SHORT runs), and they just don't have incentive to "upgrade" when their wiring would take tons of money to upgrade.

The savings are in places that have installed base to deal with - most small miners have little IF ANY incentive to worry about "installed base of gear and wiring".

Yes but when gigabit router is backwards compatible and future proofed why buy ancient hardware if price is almost the same? Even if you don't need it?

Haruderty

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 01:00:30 PM

Gigabit all the time. Fast ethernet is really old. All those routers, switches and hubs with Fast ethernet will use old and slow chips. You need best ping possible.

Total crap. Transaction times and bandwidth are not related like that. 100mbps will do perfectly fine for mining. You will have spare bandwidth for Remote Desktop etc.

That is right. I have the 8Mbps ADSL connections, it is good for my mining.
Bellator

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 03:45:37 PM

I'm not sure how much longer that will last, but might be longer than many folks think - 100 MBPS is plenty for most business usage, a LOT of companies are wired for Cat 5 (which does NOT support Gigabit for anything other than very SHORT runs), and they just don't have incentive to "upgrade" when their wiring would take tons of money to upgrade.

The savings are in places that have installed base to deal with - most small miners have little IF ANY incentive to worry about "installed base of gear and wiring".

Yes but when gigabit router is backwards compatible and future proofed why buy ancient hardware if price is almost the same? Even if you don't need it?

That's right you should be wise on investing for your hardware, but most importantly you knew the capability of you router most particularly the brand. You can search for any reviews of the comments for the product brand of that router. Well it seems to be having bigger advantages if that 1Gbps speed compared with the late 100Mbps, the more faster the better.

yugyug

Activity: 616
Merit: 256

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 03:56:11 PM

having 1GBps in mining is pointless. all brute force, hashing and other mathematical operation of digital private key are calculated locally on your mining rig, data transmission from every acknowledgement to mining pools are refresh in seconds not in a fraction of an atomic seconds and beside transaction processing is as slow as 7 transaction per second. so having an old 100MBps router/switch is enough for an expensive mining rigs.
antantti
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 04:21:23 PM

Phone as an modem sharing connection to old laptop that works as a router does basic mining very well too, I have tried.

Question remains, if 100Mbps router costs $40 and 1Gbps router $50, what is the reason to save that $10?
RyanLiang

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 05:13:45 PM

Phone as an modem sharing connection to old laptop that works as a router does basic mining very well too, I have tried.

Question remains, if 100Mbps router costs $40 and 1Gbps router $50, what is the reason to save that $10?

That is right. If the latency of the 1Gbps is lower than the 100Mbps, then it is OK to buy the faster one.
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2017, 05:34:44 PM

Currently I'm running 9 rigs with 100mbps ethernet without any problems. It's just a bit slow on remote control via teamviewer.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 07:34:41 PM

That is right. If the latency of the 1Gbps is lower than the 100Mbps, then it is OK to buy the faster one.

When the latency in both cases is measured in MICROseconds as a general rule, it's NOT AN ISSUE.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 07:48:04 PM

As I already pointed out, it's often a case that the WIRING won't support Gigabit, and in THOSE cases the cost would be a ton higher and it's impossible to justify the extra cost for a router that will likely never run at Gigabit speeds.

The other factor is that a lot of the time good 100MB gear can be had for PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR - in fact I was recently GIVEN a Cisco 48-port 100MB switch (it also has 2 Gigabit "backbone" ports) that the school district a friend was working for was going to just toss in the trash during "infrastructure upgrade work" they were doing this summer.
 My TOTAL cost for 48 ports of 100MB + 2 Gigabit ports? Well, it DID need a power cable - standard C13 that I have a TON of spares for sitting around - so ZERO.

For reference, up to middle of last year I was still running machines on 10Base-2 (COAX) - the only reason I stopped is that all of the cards I had were ISA and I retired all of my old ISA machines when I moved cross-country last summer (they weren't worth loading up for the trip).
 10Base was severe overkill for what they were doing - but when I found a bunch of 3Com "trio" port cards at a Hamfest for $2 EACH in the early 1990s, and already had a bunch of BNC "T" connectors and patch cords, the price was impossible to pass up and I got something like 15-20 YEARS of usage out of most of those cards (I did have a couple of the 20ish I bought die over the years).

But as I already pointed out, for MOST folks there is no reason to NOT go Gigabit, and pay the small premium for futureproofing.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
redectro

Activity: 51
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 07:48:30 PM

having 1GBps in mining is pointless. all brute force, hashing and other mathematical operation of digital private key are calculated locally on your mining rig, data transmission from every acknowledgement to mining pools are refresh in seconds not in a fraction of an atomic seconds and beside transaction processing is as slow as 7 transaction per second. so having an old 100MBps router/switch is enough for an expensive mining rigs.
 Just make sure that you keep your mining power up, GPU or CPU. You'll be fine Cheesy
antantti
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 08:02:51 PM
Last edit: September 14, 2017, 08:20:24 PM by antantti

As I already pointed out, it's often a case that the WIRING won't support Gigabit
Have you tried what 5e can do?

The other factor is that a lot of the time good 100MB gear can be had for PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR
I am dumping them all the time. Like throwing them away for free. They are so 2003.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 11:43:24 AM

As I already pointed out, it's often a case that the WIRING won't support Gigabit
Have you tried what 5e can do?

You are ASSUMING 5e - a lot of businesses have 3 for wiring, not even 5 much less 5e or 6.

And yes, I know the limits of using 5e with Gigabit (works but keep the runs fairly SHORT, or go 6 - and for serious backbone work go 6 period).

cashen

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 11:54:30 AM

Currently I'm running 9 rigs with 100mbps ethernet without any problems. It's just a bit slow on remote control via teamviewer.

I originally had a 8 port switch then I got this 24 port https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG1AD9A/  I think I pad $125 or $130 though. EDIT: Just looked, I paid $90 for an open box.

I think team viewer has an option about local network. I'm not sure, but I felt sometimes team viewer was connecting to an outside server (Use internet connection) instead of just computer to computer via local net. Not 100% sure tho.
antantti
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 12:52:28 PM

You are ASSUMING 5e - a lot of businesses museums have 3 for wiring, not even 5 much less 5e or 6.

We need to edit the subject, it should be "10Mbps, 100Mbps or 1Gbps ethernet router" (:

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 07:09:14 PM

Nobody sells 10MB any more (except perhaps as ancient used gear).

Since 10Base-T had the SAME "Cat 3 minimum" wiring requirement that 100Base-T did, once the price on 100Base-T gear got low enough there was no reason at all to stick with 10 on gear replacement.

antantti
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 07:25:38 PM

Nobody sells 10MB any more (except perhaps as ancient used gear).

Nobody sells 100MB anymore, or if they do price is the same as 1000MB. By the cheapest you can find, case closed?

RyanLiang

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 07:49:01 AM

You are ASSUMING 5e - a lot of businesses museums have 3 for wiring, not even 5 much less 5e or 6.

We need to edit the subject, it should be "10Mbps, 100Mbps or 1Gbps ethernet router" (:

I think there is no difference between them.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: