Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:20:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: first purchase  (Read 618 times)
smokeydog (OP)

Activity: 96
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 01:43:29 PM

To get started, I purchased 250 dollars worth of bitcoin from the coinbase exchange.  My hope is with this I can learn how to send and receive to a blockchian wallet on my iphone and the process of backup etc.  I made the purchase Sept 10. and my account now shows funds available Sept 16.  6 days?  this is worse then moving money from a bank to my stock broker.  A paper check is faster.

Is there a simple explanation? Is this normal for most exchanges?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 01:56:49 PM

To get started, I purchased 250 dollars worth of bitcoin from the coinbase exchange.  My hope is with this I can learn how to send and receive to a blockchian wallet on my iphone and the process of backup etc.  I made the purchase Sept 10. and my account now shows funds available Sept 16.  6 days?  this is worse then moving money from a bank to my stock broker.  A paper check is faster.

What payment method you have used? I'm pretty sure the delay has been caused on the fiat side of this trade (coinbase waiting for receiving your money to their account).
BTC transaction is matter of minutes if sent with proper fee.

guclu

Activity: 260
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2017, 01:59:55 PM

I have never experienced that. You must have paid with your credit card and they probably took their time to verify you are the actual owner or at least no refusal would come from the bank before you take off with your btc Grin Try to get verified somewhere selling btc like that. It might go the same way for the first purchase but then on you can have sudden btc's.

bitcoinbulk

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

Ternion | Hybrid Crypto Exchange with fiat gateway

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2017, 02:08:37 PM

For my coinbase account it takes roughly 6 days for bank accounts. Credit card should be instant.

The tradeoff is that credit cards have a much lower limit. I believe bank accounts let you do $2000.

smokeydog (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:49:17 PM

I am in the process of getting my bank account setup for electronic transfer but, this time I just used a credit card, with over a 3 dollar fee, around 1 percent.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2017, 04:44:16 PM

I made the purchase Sept 10. and my account now shows funds available Sept 16.  6 days?  this is worse then moving money from a bank to my stock broker.  A paper check is faster.

The long time to settle the transaction with Coinbase is because you used a direct bank account transfer. If you had used your credit card the transaction would settle in half the time or less. Working with banks does actually take a few days...it's not all on Coinbase.

The spot where it's better than working with your stock broker, is that A) you're not paying for your stock broker's giant fee for the investment idea that they didn't come up with, and B) you're investing in Bitcoin, which your stock broker can't offer you.

What's a paper check? I'm kidding, but you must be too. A paper check?!
santiPOGI

Activity: 1004
Merit: 111

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:47:55 PM

never buy again there if you reallly experienced that ... bitcoin in minutes in most and some are just in a few seconds ..
i diid bought some bitcoin before twice for 200 bucks each and didnt had a problem .. i recieved a message in less than 10 seconds and an email too ...
then log into my account and saw it was loaded in just a gllimpse... find another to have transaction pal
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 01:25:49 AM

To get started, I purchased 250 dollars worth of bitcoin from the coinbase exchange.  My hope is with this I can learn how to send and receive
This is best learning curve out there. Congratulations to choosing right method.
Download wallet like Electrum which is currently one of the best if not best software wallet.
Send, receive, train, u will get it in no time.
mdyso

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 04:24:37 AM

Congrats on starting small and getting involved. Keep learning and studying and finding coins you like. But yes, transfer from institutions to exchanges can take time.
smokeydog (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 06:04:58 PM

never buy again there if you reallly experienced that ... bitcoin in minutes in most and some are just in a few seconds ..
i diid bought some bitcoin before twice for 200 bucks each and didnt had a problem .. i recieved a message in less than 10 seconds and an email too ...
then log into my account and saw it was loaded in just a gllimpse... find another to have transaction pal

It is now 4 days and my account has not been credited, 6 days is crazy.   I can sell any amount of stock, wait the now 2 days for trade settlement then transfer the fund to my bank in 3.   For a long time I have been hearing how bitcoin is minutes.  That's not what I'm finding out.  The only way in or out seems to be through the exchanges.   If I want to buy a car, I can't use bitcoin so I have to convert at an exchange.  This is not at all what I expected.

So I could use a better exchange but, starting out how would I know which one.   I can't spend hundreds and hundreds of hours plowing through forum posts to make this work, it's not practical,  I have too many other things to do.

I still have a lot to learn about using this stuff but to say this is currency is completely misleading.

I believe it's here to stay and has many great qualities, but it's going to take a lot to make it usable,  my wife, parents, most of my friends would not spend 5 minutes doing this.   They will just keep using their credit card, PayPal and put up with whatever the banks demand.

It's not ready for prime time yet, not until I can easily use it to buy a 2 dollar 16 ounce cup of coffee or buy my food at Costco.

I'm going to stick with it and hope for a continuing evolution.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 10:53:15 PM

The fault is entirely the U.S. banking system. It take many days to send money from one U.S. bank to another U.S. bank. During that time, Coinbase is just waiting for its bank to tell them that they have received your money.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
smokeydog (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 01:57:25 AM

The fault is entirely the U.S. banking system. It take many days to send money from one U.S. bank to another U.S. bank. During that time, Coinbase is just waiting for its bank to tell them that they have received your money.

I don't think so, this was a credit card transaction. 
smokeydog (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 02:03:05 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2017, 02:51:54 AM by smokeydog

I made the purchase Sept 10. and my account now shows funds available Sept 16.  6 days?  this is worse then moving money from a bank to my stock broker.  A paper check is faster.

The long time to settle the transaction with Coinbase is because you used a direct bank account transfer. If you had used your credit card the transaction would settle in half the time or less. Working with banks does actually take a few days...it's not all on Coinbase.

The spot where it's better than working with your stock broker, is that A) you're not paying for your stock broker's giant fee for the investment idea that they didn't come up with, and B) you're investing in Bitcoin, which your stock broker can't offer you.

What's a paper check? I'm kidding, but you must be too. A paper check?!

This, my first bitcoin aqusition, was a credit card transaction, which came with 1 percent overhead.  I really don't know what's going on but the process is broken be it the bank or coinbase.  My goal was to made a 50,000 dollar acquisition but I'm going to need to see better performance then this one before I drop 50k.  Once this transaction clears, I plan to send and receive some small amounts to different wallets to learn the mechanics.   If it's all like this I will walk away for a year or so.

As for stock broker's fees, my last brokerage transaction with Vanguard was 7 dollars on a 350,000 dollar trade.  I don't "work with a broker"  I click, fill in the number of shares, then click place order.  The commission is 7 dollare for 100 to 10 million dollars worth of GLD, T, IBM or any other stock.   Where did you get the notion of "giant fees"?
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2017, 04:39:12 PM

I personally just wouldn't use Coinbase, I have far better options for buying and selling Bitcoin in my own country.
Can just pay via debit card and receive coins after 2 minutes through bitonic.nl everything without verification.

There should be similar options for the US or not? Doesn't the US have any options for buying Bitcoin instantly?

smokeydog (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 02:22:48 PM

I personally just wouldn't use Coinbase, I have far better options for buying and selling Bitcoin in my own country.
Can just pay via debit card and receive coins after 2 minutes through bitonic.nl everything without verification.

There should be similar options for the US or not? Doesn't the US have any options for buying Bitcoin instantly?

Sadly, I think you are right.   Once I send my bitcoins to my hardware wallet, I seriously doubt I will use coinbase again.   So, now I still need to keep looking for another exchange. 
Rahar02

Activity: 910
Merit: 523

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 05:23:39 PM

Sadly, I think you are right.   Once I send my bitcoins to my hardware wallet, I seriously doubt I will use coinbase again.   So, now I still need to keep looking for another exchange. 

Yes, there are some issues about coinbase, don't know why it could happen but they have bad service about withdrawal.
You can read it here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2135637.msg21431912#msg21431912
I'm not sure about US regulations, coinbase FAQ and the requirements to withdraw but it seems so shady.
Local exchange in my country doing far better than coinbase, easily to deposit and withdrawal within hours.
There are a lot of exchanges out there which support US dollar such as Bitstamp, just check their FAQ before decide to deposit $$.
warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 11:12:52 PM

If you use Coinbase you can count on transactions being delayed, especially outbound ones. It is easier to inject funds into their system and they will take their own sweet time in processing inward funds. When it comes to any attempt to remove funds or resources from their coffers, it would be faster, figuratively and literally, to learn to fly a 747 than the time Coinbase takes to process your withdrawal. Well, that was somewhat exaggerated but the point is you cannot expect same-day or even same-week service with Coinbase. You can almost sense, feel and smell that they don't like doing withdrawals.

Bitcoin has always been about speed. The goal was and is transacting in the speed of light. But this is the idealist view. In reality, buying or selling bitcoins these days is more cumbersome and bureaucratic than a bank transfer. There are so many processes and steps involved. It's the scam factor which makes it difficult to transact quickly and painlessly.

smokeydog (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 02:31:01 PM

If you use Coinbase you can count on transactions being delayed, especially outbound ones. It is easier to inject funds into their system and they will take their own sweet time in processing inward funds. When it comes to any attempt to remove funds or resources from their coffers, it would be faster, figuratively and literally, to learn to fly a 747 than the time Coinbase takes to process your withdrawal. Well, that was somewhat exaggerated but the point is you cannot expect same-day or even same-week service with Coinbase. You can almost sense, feel and smell that they don't like doing withdrawals.

Bitcoin has always been about speed. The goal was and is transacting in the speed of light. But this is the idealist view. In reality, buying or selling bitcoins these days is more cumbersome and bureaucratic than a bank transfer. There are so many processes and steps involved. It's the scam factor which makes it difficult to transact quickly and painlessly.

My account finally got credited with my bitcoin purchase.  I went to work learning the ropes of sending and receiving.  That went fine.   I moved some to my blockchain.info wallet in just minutes.   But, ultimately, if I need to cash in to buy a car or who knows what, I need an exchange which will process my request in a reasonable time with reasonable service if there is a problem.  Without a quality exchange, I don't see much use in this technology until I can pay for things by sending bitcoins directly.  Last week I purchased a car for 40,000 dollars, I moved the funds from a brokerage account to my bank with ACH in just 2 days.   If I can't match that with bitcoin or pay for the car directly with bit coin, it has no value to me.

Next step, find a quality exchange.
Addisonbt

Activity: 407
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 04:52:45 PM

My account finally got credited with my bitcoin purchase.  I went to work learning the ropes of sending and receiving.  That went fine.   I moved some to my blockchain.info wallet in just minutes.   But, ultimately, if I need to cash in to buy a car or who knows what, I need an exchange which will process my request in a reasonable time with reasonable service if there is a problem.  Without a quality exchange, I don't see much use in this technology until I can pay for things by sending bitcoins directly.  Last week I purchased a car for 40,000 dollars, I moved the funds from a brokerage account to my bank with ACH in just 2 days.   If I can't match that with bitcoin or pay for the car directly with bit coin, it has no value to me.

Next step, find a quality exchange.

BBB bitpay
https://bitpay.com/bitcoin-exchange-rates
Sweetbtc

Activity: 938
Merit: 503

👉bit.ly/3QXp3oh | 🔥 Ultimate Launc

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 08:44:52 AM

I guess your fee is so low, and so it varies, with that. The lower the fee the lower the chance you can get your money fast because there is prescribe or recommended fee for your transaction but you can put how much fee you want, and so it delays.

.TONUP..
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██