Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:51:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 7nm ASICs an 7nm chips maybe next year some time .  (Read 1095 times)
toptek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 05:41:52 AM

According to this email i just got we might have 7NM video cards and maybe 7nm ASICs next year some time for a few years before it hits 5nm and the good part not from China but from Japan a free nation ....

Still gonna cost but a good step in who controls what .so cost and Customer service might not be as bad as it is now for ASICs miners bought from china, Mainly CS...might be better ..plus stuff bought from china might be cheaper not better but a lot cheaper..

http://1stminingrig.com/mining-news-7nm-asics-thing/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+1stMiningRig+%281st+Mining+Rig%29

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZenFr
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1046

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 06:02:48 AM

According to this email i just got we might have 7NM video cards and maybe 7nm ASICs next year some time for a few years before it hits 5nm and the good part not from China but from Japan a free nation ....

Still gonna cost but a good step in who controls what .so cost and Customer service might not be as bad as it is now for ASICs miners bought from china, Mainly CS...might be better ..plus stuff bought from china might be cheaper not better but a lot cheaper..

http://1stminingrig.com/mining-news-7nm-asics-thing/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+1stMiningRig+%281st+Mining+Rig%29
The ASIC mining market is sleeping since 2 years or a little more.
7 nm chips will be a good thing for new miners. From Japan, USA or Europe will be a much better thing for every body (except chineses).
For my part, I hope a little passiv ASIC miner (~25 W) or a new USB stick (3-5 W).
For the GPU market, the next new product will be nVidia Volta, but not before 6 months... or more : we can expect a GTX 2070 for only 100 W and a upgrade in hashrate.
d57heinz
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011

Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 01:15:02 PM

Nice read.  I for one welcome some competition.  It won't take much at this point to surpass bitmain esp in customer "service" if you call it that. I'd pay for that aswell!   I have an s9 down now. Board by board failed. All within a week. I've luckily got a local repair guy that is taking a stab at repairing it for me. As long as it's only power side of board.  S9 IMO was a total flop in reliability. It's a shame too, They really made a nice machine with the s3.  Guess they realize that and jihan implement planned obsolecence. 😉.

Thanks for sharing

BR

As in nature, all is ebb and tide, all is wave motion, so it seems that in all branches of industry, alternating currents - electric wave motion - will have the sway. ~Nikola Tesla~
MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 01:47:22 PM

More advanced mining equipment is always a good go. I feel like this will diversify and it'll get a bit easy for people to get their hands on some ASICs if the companies manufacturing ASICs emerge from Japan, or countries of Europe, America and so and so. This will be a game changer, as of now ASIC manufacturing companies, for the most part, has been exclusive to China and it won't be anymore.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 08:53:56 PM

The probability of folks being able to get mining chips made on a 7nm process next year is pretty much ZERO.
 2019 - perhaps, but even THAT is looking very iffy.

For perspective - Intel MIGHT be shipping 10nm late THIS year, and they've been working on THAT node a lot longer than anyone has been working on 7nm (and Intel is USUALLY the first folks to market with usable chips on a given node).

Keep in mind some history - 14/16nm was first ANNOUNCED as being available almost 2 YEARS before the first actual products hit retail using THAT node.

10nm has proven to be MUCH more difficult, and preliminary indications are that 7nm (in the cases that will actually BE 7nm) is going to be much much tougher yet.

Mining gear hasn't so much "stagnated" as it finally caught up to current state-of-the-art on semiconductor technology, so it doesn't have the OPTION of "move to a better node every year or less" any more, it has to wait on the INDUSTRY to be able to move - which has commonly been a 4-6 year cycle and seems likely to get WORSE as semi tech has gotten well into the range where quantum effects and the limits of silicon are bringing Moore's Law to it's knees.

Intel has said flat out that "10nm is the end of the road for silicon", IBM has already announced that it's work on the 7nm node is using HYBRID Si/Ge wafers because pure silicon couldn't scale any more (but Germanium isn't going to be able to scale much further than Silicon)....

I'm not going to be shocked if 7nm is the END of "standard" semiconductor technology, at best I'd guessing the next node after THAT will be 10 years more-or-less down the road.
 It might be time for alternative tech to start getting itself OUT of the lab, like carbon nanotube electronics....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Ambros

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 08:58:30 PM

Actually the 10nm process is real and used these days.
Last week at IFA the Kirin 970 (using the 10nm tech) has been announced and will ship on Huawei phones from mid October.

I think that 2018 it's quite as an estimated time of arrival on market for 10nm ASIC
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2095
Merit: 1396

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 09:26:19 PM

The probability of folks being able to get mining chips made on a 7nm process next year is pretty much ZERO.
 2019 - perhaps, but even THAT is looking very iffy.

For perspective - Intel MIGHT be shipping 10nm late THIS year, and they've been working on THAT node a lot longer than anyone has been working on 7nm (and Intel is USUALLY the first folks to market with usable chips on a given node).

Keep in mind some history - 14/16nm was first ANNOUNCED as being available almost 2 YEARS before the first actual products hit retail using THAT node.

10nm has proven to be MUCH more difficult, and preliminary indications are that 7nm (in the cases that will actually BE 7nm) is going to be much much tougher yet.

Mining gear hasn't so much "stagnated" as it finally caught up to current state-of-the-art on semiconductor technology, so it doesn't have the OPTION of "move to a better node every year or less" any more, it has to wait on the INDUSTRY to be able to move - which has commonly been a 4-6 year cycle and seems likely to get WORSE as semi tech has gotten well into the range where quantum effects and the limits of silicon are bringing Moore's Law to it's knees.

Intel has said flat out that "10nm is the end of the road for silicon", IBM has already announced that it's work on the 7nm node is using HYBRID Si/Ge wafers because pure silicon couldn't scale any more (but Germanium isn't going to be able to scale much further than Silicon)....

I'm not going to be shocked if 7nm is the END of "standard" semiconductor technology, at best I'd guessing the next node after THAT will be 10 years more-or-less down the road.
 It might be time for alternative tech to start getting itself OUT of the lab, like carbon nanotube electronics....

Umm Apple's 10nm A11 chip is already in full production and will be shipping in their iPhone 8/X in a few weeks...they are already working on 5 and 3nm chips as well, so 10nm definitely is not the limit.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 09:48:28 AM

Umm Apple's 10nm A11 chip is already in full production and will be shipping in their iPhone 8/X in a few weeks...they are already working on 5 and 3nm chips as well, so 10nm definitely is not the limit.

As I recall Apple is using Intel foundry space for at least some of their chips.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: