Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:05:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bounty 1 BTC for Quoted feature  (Read 1656 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:31:54 AM

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Watchlist

The above three links allow a forum member to easily see what threads have had activity since the last time they viewed, which is great when they only commented in a few threads. The problem (for members like myself who have been here for over 2 years and comments in hundreds of threads) is that many of the discussions have gotten off-topic, are bumped with spam or trolling, and are basically not worth the time it takes to check and see if anyone responded to your inquiries or arguments.

I think there is a simple and agreeable solution to this.

Add another link.

Watchlist | Responses (4)

This would show all threads (whether you commented in them or not) in which someone quoted your posts. Not only would this alert you immediately to responses, but it would also allow you to follow split threads and new topics where users are discussing your posts and/or using your quotes for their own arguments.

Despite the forum having millions of dollars of bitcoins under the guise of forum upgrades (which haven't happened in a year now), it seems that the only way to get the admin to do anything is to pay him money directly, so I'm willing to put up 1 BTC for this feature to be added. It will save everyone here an endless amount of time searching bumped threads and would encourage quoting of people's posts in responses.

Anyone else willing to pitch in for this bounty?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:40:59 AM

Well, this would be an interesting and useful feature.

Bus as quoting basically just adds a link to a post and is not a fixed copy of ones post (you can change it).

The only important part is that I have the link to you post which is

217265.msg2282690#msg2282690 date=1369643514

so I could basically quote you by writing the entire text per hand:

Code:
[quote author=Matthew N. Wright link=topic=217265.msg2282690#msg2282690 date=1369643514]
[/quote]

I just can't imagine that such a feature is even technical possible the way quoting in SMF works unless you run a pot, that constantly scans for such links.

But than, I'm not a coder, so what do I know?

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:47:07 AM

I just can't imagine that such a feature is even technical possible the way quoting in SMF works unless you run a pot, that constantly scans for such links.

The internals of the quote don't matter, all that matters is the code you posted. That code tells the forum software that someone is making a reference to another post. If you are the author of that post, it would show up for you as a response.

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:50:03 AM

Plugin already exists.

http://www.smfpacks.com/alertmod

Price: $29.99 (?)
Copyright Removed: Yes.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:55:04 AM

Plugin already exists.

http://www.smfpacks.com/alertmod

Price: $29.99 (?)
Copyright Removed: Yes.

Great! Then Theymos should have no problem piecing through it and taking the code necessary to make it work properly with the default theme here instead of writing his own from scratch.

Waiting on response from theymos (which will probably be "meh, i dont' see enough people needing it") and others who want to put forth their bounty contribution as well.

escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 09:03:54 AM

Great! Then Theymos should have no problem piecing through it and taking the code necessary to make it work properly with the default theme here instead of writing his own from scratch.

Waiting on response from theymos (which will probably be "meh, i dont' see enough people needing it") and others who want to put forth their bounty contribution as well.

Well I'm sorry I just checked it  again there is one problem. Plugin works on SMF ver 2 only and this forum runs on old SMF version 1.1.18.

So either theymos needs to contact smfpack to make that plugin for smf 1.1.18 or get it coded by someone else.

and as far as i knew theymos actually just want to keep forum minimal and secure.
Currently forum is secure, no one can hack it, but if you install one insecure mod on it, it can get hacked easily.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 09:21:36 AM

Well I'm sorry I just checked it  again there is one problem. Plugin works on SMF ver 2 only and this forum runs on old SMF version 1.1.18.

So either theymos needs to contact smfpack to make that plugin for smf 1.1.18 or get it coded by someone else.

and as far as i knew theymos actually just want to keep forum minimal and secure.
Currently forum is secure, no one can hack it, but if you install one insecure mod on it, it can get hacked easily.

Yep. He does however have a record of implementing things when the community speaks out for them, but mostly when there are bounties attached. If you'd also like to see this happen, let Theymos worry about the technicalities and put something up towards the bounty.

jaywaka2713

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:55:15 AM

Yep. He does however have a record of implementing things when the community speaks out for them, but mostly when there are bounties attached. If you'd also like to see this happen, let Theymos worry about the technicalities and put something up towards the bounty.

Bounties aren't always the best way to go though. Just look at how the Blockchain.info bounties turned out. Glitches, glitches, and more glitches.

rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 10:33:39 PM

Bounties aren't always the best way to go though. Just look at how the Blockchain.info bounties turned out. Glitches, glitches, and more glitches.
+1
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:11:02 AM

Watchlist

The above three links allow a forum member to easily see what threads have had activity since the last time they viewed, which is great when they only commented in a few threads. The problem (for members like myself who have been here for over 2 years and comments in hundreds of threads) is that many of the discussions have gotten off-topic, are bumped with spam or trolling, and are basically not worth the time it takes to check and see if anyone responded to your inquiries or arguments.

Add another link.

This would show all threads (whether you commented in them or not) in which someone quoted your posts. Not only would this alert you immediately to responses, but it would also allow you to follow split threads and new topics where users are discussing your posts and/or using your quotes for their own arguments.

Despite the forum having millions of dollars of bitcoins under the guise of forum upgrades (which haven't happened in a year now), it seems that the only way to get the admin to do anything is to pay him money directly, so I'm willing to put up 1 BTC for this feature to be added. It will save everyone here an endless amount of time searching bumped threads and would encourage quoting of people's posts in responses.

+cointip Mattthew N. Wright 3 uBTC

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
cadmium

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 12:33:48 PM

Watchlist

Add another link.

+cointip Mattthew N. Wright 3 uBTC

hey not, Mattthew, it's Matthew,  Cool

cointip bot https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=201018.0 Tip forum members with BTC / LTC / PPC / FTC
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:58:30 AM

Lol.

Btw I got a message from someone wanting to do the code and I just wanted to clarify. This bounty is for Theymos only (I thought that was obvious). I don't think he'd ever let another member's code be used here (just my opinion).

pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 01:34:34 PM

Lol.

Btw I got a message from someone wanting to do the code and I just wanted to clarify. This bounty is for Theymos only (I thought that was obvious). I don't think he'd ever let another member's code be used here (just my opinion).

Yea, to personally be able to pocket the bounty "theymos", he might not need it, but damn, the opportunity to have this at his disposal,  to get BTC like this, I would not bypass this, coming from someone that is poor and others that know how to code n make websites, all I can say is fuck me. Make one bitcoin real quick, think about it, wow. Beats the hell out of a minimum wage job.
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 03:04:47 PM

This kind of thing should have been on the forum a long long time ago even late would be better than not at all.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
jaywaka2713

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:16:51 AM

I'm surprised NOBODY has made an existing plugin for that in an SMF forum already! Couldn't find one in the SMF plugin database.

HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 01:37:15 AM

Good idea! I have been looking for this with no luck. Any coders theymos trusts here?
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 12:52:17 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2013, 04:37:43 PM by escrow.ms

Good idea! I have been looking for this with no luck. Any coders theymos trusts here?

It's not about trust, anyone can code it, and post it on smf's official site, they will verify and approve it, theymos can also check plugin code himself, it's not like someone will backdoor it and no one will knew.

Main question is, does theymos wants this feature here?
This forum is very big and notifications will create an extra load on server.
deslok

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:28:44 PM

It's not about trust, anyone can code it, and post it on smf's official site, they will verify and approve it, theymos can also check plugin code himself, it's not like someone will backdoor it and know one will knew.

It's not about what theymos wants, he's the administrator sure and that bears responsibility for making some decision and changes on his own, but the server is here for the users and if he fails to keep the userbase happy then the forum dies.(plus this sounds a lot more useful than the implemented trust system)

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
jaywaka2713

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 05:11:45 PM

It's not about trust, anyone can code it, and post it on smf's official site, they will verify and approve it, theymos can also check plugin code himself, it's not like someone will backdoor it and know one will knew.

It's not about what theymos wants, he's the administrator sure and that bears responsibility for making some decision and changes on his own, but the server is here for the users and if he fails to keep the userbase happy then the forum dies.(plus this sounds a lot more useful than the implemented trust system)

This forum literally cannot die because he doesn't add a simple feature. We have lived without it all this time, and can continue to do so.

deslok

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 05:30:56 PM

This forum literally cannot die because he doesn't add a simple feature. We have lived without it all this time, and can continue to do so.

I wasn't saying for this single feature it was more of a generality, an unserved userbase leaves an admin with an empty forum. this feature? probably not forum closing, a hundred ignored features later though?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: