Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:08:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The point of using testnet and not another bitcoin clone  (Read 442 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 11:25:32 AM

One point that people are bringing up about the idea of using test net coins is that I should just go fork bitcoin and run my own chain to play with.

The number one reason why I advocate using testnet is that because it *is* bitcoin we don't have to worry about trusting the source code. I trust the bitcoin devs as does everyone else. They have a clear and open process for adjusting the code, it's a public process and trustworthy.

What happens if I fork the code is that I myself become the dev of whatever new coin I come up with. That means users have to trust me to be a) competent b)timely c)committed and more importantly, trust me not to introduce some malicious Trojan into the code.

The vast majority of people who use bitcoin are not able to read or understand the source code yet still want to use it and trust it. What I am talking about is building an experimental alt community, based on bitcoin, where we don't need to worry about trusting some new, nameless dev.

Terracoin is a perfect example of how anonymous developers can become the vulnerability in a project. When the coin was already on the exchanges the dev grew frustrated, the updates were released in a rushed and poorly manages process and people ended up loosing money as a result.

With bitcoin testnet developers can focus on building new, perhaps even heretical (for bitcoin) things and trying things without needing to worry about the underlying stability and trust of the coin itself.

more or less retired.
freigeist

Activity: 1107
Merit: 534

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:08:34 PM

Nice idea.

But how to test alt coins that for example are not forks of bitcoin and don't use
the blockchain and the POW for validation?
Actually I wonder how the functionality and resistence against attacks
of a p2p networks is tested in general.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: