Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:54:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wrong BIP38 password  (Read 376 times)
SerManJ (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 04:09:26 PM

I made a paper wallet using bitaddress.org using a new laptop with windows 10 OS. It has windows edge as its default browser. I got the bitaddress,org running(offline) and rendered a random wallet address 100% however the buttons where it says "single wallet", "paper wallet", etc, etc is missing. I figured the browser is not loading it right. So I copied and pasted the website address and pasted it in google chrome. This time it worked, I got the wallet address, wrote down the passphrase in a piece of paper before setting up the  BIP38 passphrase. Then stored BTC in it. But when we tried to retrieve the funds few weeks after the BTC fork, it says wrong BIP38 password, I tried multiple times but no luck,  the BTC is now in the blockchain in watch only status. Did this happened due to switching of the browsers? I tried availing

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2017, 04:16:10 PM

Did you save a copy of the encrypted or unenecrypted private key? If so, are you sure you entered it correctly into the site when you tried to decrypt it?

Also, you should not be entering private keys into a website. Rather you should download the site's source code and open it locally on your machine.

SerManJ (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 04:31:14 PM

Yeah I got the paper wallet with the written passphrase on it. As I have mentioned I tried multiple times the password and every time is says ERROR: wrong BIP38 password. I know it is not a good idea to send private key to website, they even suggested what you recommended. Any idea how to solve this or can you point me to a person that can do it?
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 11:31:18 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2017, 08:54:06 PM by Spendulus

Yeah I got the paper wallet with the written passphrase on it. As I have mentioned I tried multiple times the password and every time is says ERROR: wrong BIP38 password. I know it is not a good idea to send private key to website, they even suggested what you recommended. Any idea how to solve this or can you point me to a person that can do it?

I would suggest trying to recreate the problem, using a key pair for testing only.

look at what you wrote down as the passphrase and think about how you could have erred.

... implicit errors in "writing it down."

Examples are.

"C" or "c"
"0" vs "O" vs "o"
"l" vs "1"
"7" vs "2" sometimes
presence or absence of a space between words
a missing character
transposed characters

Yesterday I wrote a note on paper. "Here is the summary."

Today I looked at that note and it said "Here is the summy."

Go figure....