Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:12:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When can we expect 0.15 on bitcoin.org?  (Read 1160 times)
neurotypical (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 12:19:00 PM

Call me paranoid but I always wait until it's on bitcoin.org with all the signatures on the .exe files. Right ow we are still at 0.14.2

https://bitcoin.org/en/download

This update is crucial. Everyone must be aware to update it ASAP. It's really fast and it will also help to prevent the segwit2x scam. I hope the "News:" header on the forum here also updates asap because usually it lags behind a couple of days sometimes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 01:04:53 PM

I think there might still be a few issues open on the 0.15.0 milestone related to the release notes. achow101 will be able to give us a definitive answer, if he's not too busy.

Vires in numeris
neurotypical (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 01:40:26 PM

I think there might still be a few issues open on the 0.15.0 milestone related to the release notes. achow101 will be able to give us a definitive answer, if he's not too busy.

I did find out a post by Peter Wiulle explaining the situation:

It's not released, just tagged. OP was a bit too soon, see the first comment

Tagging means that the source code is finalized, but there are still a few steps remaining before the release (such as building binaries, verifying that all developers agree on the result, finalizing release notes, publishing in various locations, ...). This will happen in the next few days. Only after that will distributions have the ability to pick it up.

/u/nullc was pointing out that building from source is much easier on Linux based systems. He wasn't talking about it being prepackaged in distribution repositories already.

So it looks like we will need to wait for a couple of days?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6zhxf2/bitcoin_core_v0150_final_is_out/dmvu5v1/?context=3
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 01:46:08 PM

Yeah, the "verifying that all developers agree on the result" part can take some time, but usually no longer than 48 hours after the source is finalised. This depends on real people providing their gitian builds to the repo though, and possibly the minimum hasn't been satisfied yet (they have non-internet lives to lead after all, and there's no harm in taking the time genuinely needed to do these releases). Check the Bitcoin github repo to see the state of progress. I still think this is release notes related, though.

Vires in numeris
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2017, 02:27:19 PM

We should expect to see the official release made by the end of this week. The release has already been tagged. It looks like there are enough gitian builds and they all match. All that remains is for release notes to be finalized (although I believe they are done) and for Wladimir to send out the PGP signed emails and post the binaries to bitcoin.org.

BenOnceAgain

Activity: 208
Merit: 84

🌐 www.btric.org 🌐

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2017, 05:40:10 PM

We should expect to see the official release made by the end of this week. The release has already been tagged. It looks like there are enough gitian builds and they all match. All that remains is for release notes to be finalized (although I believe they are done) and for Wladimir to send out the PGP signed emails and post the binaries to bitcoin.org.

I must say that this is a very well designed release process.  Puts many projects I've been involved with to shame!

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/release-process.md

Dream it. Plan it. Build it.
Need help with your project? [MY WEBSITE] | [MY COMPANY] | [BLOG] | [TWITTER] | [LINKEDIN] | [EMAIL]
Want to help support the blockchain charity I'm building? [LEARN ABOUT BTRIC] | [DONATE] | [TWITTER] | [EMAIL]
degaga15

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 11:44:11 AM

I still do not understand what the difference between the old version and the new version, I just follow the others, I do not really understand about the old and new version.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 01:16:20 PM

I still do not understand what the difference between the old version and the new version, I just follow the others, I do not really understand about the old and new version.

A significant part of it is changes to RPC commands, which many people don't use (or aren't aware they use).

I guess a noticeable feature for the casual user is the improved startup speed for the GUI client. And also improved database IO performance (blockchain writes faster, UTXO set writes faster, + new experimental mode to improve verification speed). Sync'ing with the network is now much quicker as a result.

Vires in numeris
miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 10:39:00 AM

when can we expect a 0.15 Torrent link update up in the banner of the forum?
youngwebs
Legendary

Activity: 1080
Merit: 1055

DEV of DeepOnion community pool

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2017, 01:59:01 PM

A significant part of it is changes to RPC commands, which many people don't use (or aren't aware they use).

I guess a noticeable feature for the casual user is the improved startup speed for the GUI client. And also improved database IO performance (blockchain writes faster, UTXO set writes faster, + new experimental mode to improve verification speed). Sync'ing with the network is now much quicker as a result.

These GUI client changes sound great. It takes on my fast pc and SSD more time to load the GUI than syncing several hours of block. Also good as it seems the blockchain sync speed is improving as well. Will keep an open on the github for this new release!

ViceOfBTC21

Activity: 438
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 06:57:06 AM

It is already released. Get or update to 0.15. Always use latest version of this thing.
youngwebs
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2017, 08:57:49 PM

It is already released. Get or update to 0.15. Always use latest version of this thing.

you think it is safe enough to work with the 0.15.0 version?
Most of the times I wait for the first bug fix release when a new major version is released (e.g. 0.15.1)

anyhow, download here: https://bitcoin.org/nl/download
and release info here: https://bitcoin.org/en/release/v0.15.0
(for the lazy people around.. Grin)

youngwebs
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2017, 08:20:23 PM

referring to my previous post....

0.15.0.1 is out now already!