Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:57:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Visa Gift Gard to BTC  (Read 1328 times)
x0Jakeyboy0x (OP)

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:27:24 AM

I went and bought a $100 Visa Gift Card thinking it would be easy to sell/transfer into bitcoins. I'm really having trouble though. Can anyone recommend a method to me?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tronlet

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:39:48 AM

Try just posting on the "Selling" forum, saying you're selling a visa gift card. You might have some luck. If not, there are still ways, selling it is the easiest though.

x0Jakeyboy0x (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:46:11 AM

I attempted.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=21350.0

What other mystical ways do you speak of?

bitcoin.monger

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:01:56 AM

Tough issue. If I wanted to buy your card with BTC in an OTC manner, what guarantee do I have you will send me the card> And even if you do, how do I know you won't keep a copy of the card number and spend the money while I'm still thinking what to do with my new hundred bucks?  Smiley
Sorry, nothing personal, just my humble opinion...
x0Jakeyboy0x (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:09:49 AM

Tough issue. If I wanted to buy your card with BTC in an OTC manner, what guarantee do I have you will send me the card> And even if you do, how do I know you won't keep a copy of the card number and spend the money while I'm still thinking what to do with my new hundred bucks?  Smiley
Sorry, nothing personal, just my humble opinion...

No no, i like the feedback. It is a tough situation.
- I can get it in Paypal and send it to you that way.
- I can let you make a 100 dollar charge to the card.( Note there's no worry for chargebacks because i highly doubt a credit card company is going to care about prepaid customers no matter what the story.)
- I can give you the info you need to access the card.
- I can send it to you.

But i suppose there is a certain amount initial of trust that needs to be there. It's the reoccurring game of having to prove yourself first go around. I am reputationless at the moment. At least in this corner of teh internets.
Tronlet

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:23:11 AM

You could get a US postal money order with the card and send it to BitcoinMorpheus aka Matthew Courtney who was very professional and a pleasure to work with when I sent my money order. Then he'll give you credit for Mt. Gox.

He gave me Dwolla credit instead that I could then proceed to use on TradeHill, but that may have been a one-time deal, since I sent my money order prior to the Gox shutdown, and then it shut down before he had given me my credit, so he offered to give me the held funds in a different way.

You could send him an email asking if Dwolla is possible, you might want to make it short and to the point though since I'm sure he's being flooded with email right now and from what I can tell it's a one-man operation.

Alternatively you could just get Mt. Gox credit, which you may be more averse to because of the whole database fiasco, but I personally am just going to trust them more now that they've ramped up security in response to it.

Just remember never to keep all your eggs in one basket. Something you can do for free and with virtually no credentials needed is create a Dwolla account. It'll say stuff about verifying with a bank account, but this is only necessary if you want to transfer funds to a bank account or vice versa, you can transfer funds from the trading sites easily.

Even if you don't trust Mt. Gox, TradeHill could easily have the same thing happen to it at any time. Whichever service you use, keep some of your USD funds in Dwolla and some of your bitcoin funds in your wallet.

I do however advise trying a little harder to get the card sold, as it'd probably be easier than everything I said above. Tongue

dr.bitcoin

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:47:11 AM

Jesus H. Christ, what kinf of gift card can go into a PayPal account? You deserve an award for finding it!
dr.bitcoin

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:49:45 AM

Tronlet, would you care to explain how a gift card can be used to buy a US postal money order? (not being sarcastic, just asking!) Have you done it yourself? Did they ask for ID?
x0Jakeyboy0x (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:53:00 AM

Jesus H. Christ, what kinf of gift card can go into a PayPal account? You deserve an award for finding it!

A prepaid Visa can be linked to a Paypal account according to the many sources from which i pull my great wealth of knowledge.

PS- All awards can be sent to 1DT7JiResFU3TzpS1ptfgGfSxgfMwkouKf , Thanks mister!
dr.bitcoin

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:59:05 AM

this is not my experience. all the gift cards I tried did not work with PayPal, although it took them a while to let me know  Grin
my only explanation is that gift cards can be bought with cash, which makes them pseudonymous. PayPal does NOT like that...
Vinnie

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:59:24 AM

I went and bought a $100 Visa Gift Card thinking it would be easy to sell/transfer into bitcoins. I'm really having trouble though. Can anyone recommend a method to me?

Go buy 3 ounces of silver bullion. Then, sell them to a reputable bitcoin user. You'd want to only sell to a reputable bitcoin user because you don't have an established reputation yet. So you have to ship the goods first, most likely. With a reputable user, you'll be more assured that he'll pay you upon receipt and that he can then vouch for your trustworthiness. I recommend going through #bitcoin-otc.

Or use bitcoin4cash or bitcoin2cash?

Anonymous Cash-By-Mail Exchange: https://www.bitcoin2cash.com
Tronlet

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 10:47:30 AM

Tronlet, would you care to explain how a gift card can be used to buy a US postal money order? (not being sarcastic, just asking!) Have you done it yourself? Did they ask for ID?

Getting a money order is fairly simple, you go into the post office and pay for it. They didn't ask for any ID. I used cash. Debit cards are allowed to pay for money orders, not credit cards though for obvious reasons, so my guess would be that a visa gift card would have no trouble since it's prepaid debit.

They could have some policy against this for security's sake, but like i said, I just waltzed into my nearest post office, paid for a blank money order of a certain value, and left, so security and ID doesn't seem to be a big priority. Smiley

bitcoin.monger

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:18:12 PM

Thanks Tronlet! However, I am not sure about the gift card... Transactions on gift cards CAN be reversed (like with credit cards) so they may not accept them at the Post Office. I have no personal experience with gift cards to postal money orders. Did anybody try? Also, when you cash the postal money order, don't they ask for ID? This is very important from a privacy perspective...
Tronlet

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:27:24 PM

Thanks Tronlet! However, I am not sure about the gift card... Transactions on gift cards CAN be reversed (like with credit cards) so they may not accept them at the Post Office. I have no personal experience with gift cards to postal money orders. Did anybody try? Also, when you cash the postal money order, don't they ask for ID? This is very important from a privacy perspective...

They could ask for ID, but if you got a money order you would presumably be sending it to BitcoinMorpheus, known in real life as Matthew Courtney, this guy:

He rightly makes some personal information public, given that he regularly handles large sums of cash that people send him and needs to be trusted. He doesn't worry about privacy as much, I presume. Smiley

Edit: Oh, and I'm not sure about that, you might be right. Call up your local post office, I guess.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: