Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:03:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone programming their own ticker and portfolio app?  (Read 148 times)
pnx17 (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 02:09:23 PM

I was wondering if anyone here was making their own ticker and portfolio app.
I am studying python on my own (https://www.py4e.com/), have some experience with database design and am very interested in data science. Studying something can quickly become boring when you can't apply it.

So what do I mean with making your own app?

Importing data.
Where do you import data from? Coinmarketcap, Coinbase, ...
How? (Already got that figured out)
How do you deal with it when a site goes offline?
Is it possible to get your hands on historical data?

Storing data
What data is useful? The coin and the price in USD and EUR are useful, but is the price in BTC useful? Should you keep track of the changes in rank, total supply or the 24h volume over time?
How many coins to keep track of? If you download the information (over a 1000 coins) from coinmarketcap and dump it into a database every 5 minutes, your database will grow by 45 MB every day, that is 1.32 GB a month and 16 GB a year. That is unsustainable. So how do you select which coins and data to keep? The top 25, top 50 or top 100 ranking coins? Can you delete some data after a while and keep hourly averages?

Manipulating data
How to make the data useful? Over longer periods of time you don't have to keep the 5 minute data, 1 record per coin and hour is sufficient. Do you take the value of the coin each hour (easy) or do you calculate the hourly average (more accurate)?

Visualization
How to visualize the data? On your own website? What information, what charts are useful for making decisions whether to buy, sell or keep?

If there are other people on this forum who want to make their own app for fun or for learning how to program and learning data science, maybe we can help each other.

Should we continue this discussion here or is there a more appropriate forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: