Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:09:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I that lazy?  (Read 443 times)
Chrithu (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:14:29 PM

I'm sitting here shocked by myself.

Let me elaborate:

I am currently playing the game Mechwarrior Online, which has nice stats pages in your profile on their site. Yesterday I had the idea of making a signature that would show part of the data from those stats pages in a realtime fashion as part of an image.

So I started thinking about how to achieve this and since I studied Computer Science (though without getting a degree for reasons) for 8 years the answer was quite obvious: A server side script that gets the needed data from the stats pages and puts it into the image upon request. Easiest way to do obviously would be PHP, which I never really got around to learning, but I was allways fast to pick up syntax and beyond that PHP is just a scripting language like any other.

Now I am literally sitting in front of my desktop having tutorials and code examples opened. And instead of starting to code I am seriously considering putting up a bounty on these forums for someone else to code that stuff for me.

Let me get that straight one more time: I have the understanding, information and means to do it myself. And I am thinking about paying someone else to do something I'd be able to do myself without a problem.

Ok I answered the question. I AM fucking lazy.

"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 05:24:39 PM

LOL! Well I'll tell you one thing, I had a similar sort of experience but the opposite with programming, for years I dodged it because I didn't think I was very mathematically minded ( truth is I'm not ) and I actually found instead of it being this scary mess of commands and codes once you start analysing bits of it and looking at explanations provided by intelligent people it's actually pretty fucking easy once you get it. Currently I've just learned how to get a basic window up, draw a shape on the screen and made it move around with the WASD keys, I wouldn't have thought it possible until a few days ago when I researched programming and found up to date libraries.

I know this may seem a bit arrogant, but you have to ask yourself, could you do a better job than most of the people out there? If the answers no, then hiring them may be a better option especially if you don't enjoy programming at all, if the answers yes then go for it. Every day for instance I look at games and I'm absolutely horrified at the shitty efforts put into by the programmers and I end up feeling sorry for the artists who pour all that time in only to be let down by some lazy twat who can't be bothered fixing the errors that pop up on their screens. It absolutely enrages me when I see blatantly obvious errors and glitches pop up on the games I play and patch after patch the game developers refuse to even acknowledge them, never mind fix them.

p.s. If you're going to hire someone to program for you, at least make sure they're competent
Chrithu (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:30:26 PM

I know this may seem a bit arrogant, but you have to ask yourself, could you do a better job than most of the people out there? If the answers no, then hiring them may be a better option especially if you don't enjoy programming at all, if the answers yes then go for it. Every day for instance I look at games and I'm absolutely horrified at the shitty efforts put into by the programmers and I end up feeling sorry for the artists who pour all that time in only to be let down by some lazy twat who can't be bothered fixing the errors that pop up on their screens. It absolutely enrages me when I see blatantly obvious errors and glitches pop up on the games I play and patch after patch the game developers refuse to even acknowledge them, never mind fix them.

I'm with you on that absolutely. I have asked myself that question and I know I'd be totally able to make that simple signature happen and with some time and effort even be able to make that into a service others could use. And still I am sitting here making this forum post instead of opening up any text editor and starting to type in PHP code. It's sad and frustrating that I seem to be unable to motivate myself of doing something useful instead of trying to pass time until I can finally go to bed.

Malawi

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:26:13 AM

I'm with you on that absolutely. I have asked myself that question and I know I'd be totally able to make that simple signature happen and with some time and effort even be able to make that into a service others could use. And still I am sitting here making this forum post instead of opening up any text editor and starting to type in PHP code. It's sad and frustrating that I seem to be unable to motivate myself of doing something useful instead of trying to pass time until I can finally go to bed.

You need to find something that is more important, so that you can do that programming to avoid the new thing you really should be doing.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
kodo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:03:00 AM

Guess you are that lazy  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: