Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:48:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Standard PCI to PCI-Express Adapters, Anyone got any experience with them?  (Read 8588 times)
ReCat (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 06:36:40 PM

A while ago I found these adapters on ebay that convert standard 33/66MHz PCI slots into a PCI-Express slot with 1X speed. Has anyone here gotten any experience with them, and does anyone know if they work on modern GPU's?

These would be epic, as they would allow me to use just any regular old motherboard to run mining GPUs.

Here's the link if anyone wants to see. They are called "PCI to PCI-E PCI-Express 16x Bridge Riser Card Adapters"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-to-PCI-E-PCI-Express-16x-Bridge-Riser-Card-Adapter-/150736952226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23189f5ba2

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:49:01 PM

Hey, good question Smiley I have some old motherboards lying around, I could use that.

Or maybe should I just order one and see Smiley
ReCat (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 06:55:08 PM

Let me know how it goes. I would do that too, but as a measly student I don't really have the spare funds to order one just to try. xD

Remember though. most modern GPU drivers require a CPU with at least SSE2, so I doubt it would work on pentium 3 era computers. But it's worth a try. Tongue

Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
philips

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:05:11 PM

Let me know how it goes. I would do that too, but as a measly student I don't really have the spare funds to order one just to try. xD

Remember though. most modern GPU drivers require a CPU with at least SSE2, so I doubt it would work on pentium 3 era computers. But it's worth a try. Tongue

Well, I can still try it on a newer board with only two PCI-Express slots, but equipped also with two old PCI ones.

It will take a while though to get the order...
Photon939

Activity: 452

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:07:21 PM

That's the first time I've seen one with a reasonable price, still though if you figure four of those on an old mobo you could afford a nice new one
ReCat (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 07:09:31 PM

Yeah. I'd only want to buy one, maybe.

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:13:51 PM

It might work (depends on the motherboard, if it doesn't disable all the options/functions and hardware that is not necessary for mining) but you should connect the GPU through a powered riser on top of that (unless it's a low-end GPU not used for mining) because PCI can provide max. 25W, a GPU can pull (according to PCI-E) specs up to 75W = possibility of frying the motherboard. It's not such of a problem with BTC mining and underclocked memory (use of GPU memory is what is responsible for most of the power pulled through the PCI-E port and you don't make much use of VRAM while SHA hashing) but I still wouldn't risk it.

Signature space available for rent.
philips

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:27:16 PM
Last edit: May 27, 2013, 08:15:36 PM by philips

...but you should connect the GPU through a powered riser on top of that...It's not such of a problem with BTC mining and underclocked memory... but I still wouldn't risk it.

Good point.
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:50:14 PM

They work fine. I own one and have mined a 5870 overclocked on it with no problem. 7970 in it works too. I even have a 5970 (dual gpu) card on it with a non-powered riser and without a riser at all. Have had zero problems with them.

philips

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:10:51 PM

Excellent!
ReCat (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 08:13:09 PM

Cool.

gisfrancisco

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 10:23:39 PM

Thats great i just bought a gaming comp with 1-16 and 1-1 pci e with 2 pci.Way mo betta.
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:47:19 AM

That is a PCI controlled, controller... your 1x speeds will be 1/16th of a 1x speed. (It is 1x speed, buffered, not directly controlled, like these cards require. For a modem/netcard/wifi/sound-withoutDMA this would be fine.)

There are 16 PCI connections in ONE 1x PCIe slot. (band-width wise.)

Also note.. That might be PCIe 1 or 2, thus, would not work with any 2.1 or 3.0 cards... (Those cards are not reverse compatable) Also, not enough power through the PCI slot, you would need to add 12v power for the card, if it did work on that slot.

Those are designed for "low power half-slot cards to be attached, with a virtual-driver."
one4many

Activity: 516

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:32:56 AM

It might work (depends on the motherboard, if it doesn't disable all the options/functions and hardware that is not necessary for mining) but you should connect the GPU through a powered riser on top of that (unless it's a low-end GPU not used for mining) because PCI can provide max. 25W, a GPU can pull (according to PCI-E) specs up to 75W = possibility of frying the motherboard. It's not such of a problem with BTC mining and underclocked memory (use of GPU memory is what is responsible for most of the power pulled through the PCI-E port and you don't make much use of VRAM while SHA hashing) but I still wouldn't risk it.

I 2nd that. Additionally, I found those powered ones here: http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/pci-express-to-pci-adapter-p29855.html
This should prevent your mobo from being fried by your (countless) high-end GPUs.
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:27:14 AM

That is a PCI controlled, controller... your 1x speeds will be 1/16th of a 1x speed. (It is 1x speed, buffered, not directly controlled, like these cards require. For a modem/netcard/wifi/sound-withoutDMA this would be fine.)

There are 16 PCI connections in ONE 1x PCIe slot. (band-width wise.)

Also note.. That might be PCIe 1 or 2, thus, would not work with any 2.1 or 3.0 cards... (Those cards are not reverse compatable) Also, not enough power through the PCI slot, you would need to add 12v power for the card, if it did work on that slot.

Those are designed for "low power half-slot cards to be attached, with a virtual-driver."

Did you even bother to read my post? I have successfully used Radeon 5870 and 5970 with them, which are PCI-E 2.1, and a radeon 7970 which is PCI-E 3.0. They negotiate to PCI-E 1.1 (since that is the highest spec this adapter can deliver), as is common practice with the PCI-E spec and working as intended.

You need to stop talking out your ass like you think you know something.

If you still don't believe me, I will take some pictures later of the physical setup as well as device manager and it actually mining.

I 2nd that. Additionally, I found those powered ones here: http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/pci-express-to-pci-adapter-p29855.html
This should prevent your mobo from being fried by your (countless) high-end GPUs.

Did you miss the part where it plugs into your motherboards PCI-E slot and outputs an older PCI slot? You can't plug in current tech graphics cards in there. Derrrrrp. The reason it is "powered" is the PCI-E slot doesn't natively have a 5 volt line coming in. The PCI spec requires 5 volt and the molex can supply it on the red wire.

ReCat (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 07:20:12 PM

Hey hey. I don't want you guys arguing up here in my thread.

philips

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:26:21 PM

Actually I believe what ssateneth said. He is an experienced miner and he doesn't talk crap.

I just ordered 4 Smiley
3ham3

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:37:14 AM

I Second what ssateneth said.

one4many

Activity: 516

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:27:45 AM

Did you miss the part where it plugs into your motherboards PCI-E slot and outputs an older PCI slot? You can't plug in current tech graphics cards in there. Derrrrrp. The reason it is "powered" is the PCI-E slot doesn't natively have a 5 volt line coming in. The PCI spec requires 5 volt and the molex can supply it on the red wire.
Ups ... my bad ... sorry.  Roll Eyes It had multiple tabs open in my browser in search of those adapters and picked the wrong one.

Anyhow, good to hear that it works for you!
Can I come back on your offer for pictures.
Just out of curiosity I want to see how your rig looks like, and how the riser/converter cards impact the case design.

Thx
TheSpiral

Activity: 322
Merit: 113

Sinbad Mixer: Mix Your BTC Quickly

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:55:34 AM

If you still don't believe me, I will take some pictures later of the physical setup as well as device manager and it actually mining.
I'd like to see the pictures just out of curiosity... You know.. record keeping...
Please provide Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: