Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:44:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [5gh/s]Bitcoinmonkey.com(3BTC Bonus for current block, no fees, API, LP, Full 8)  (Read 13563 times)
bitcoinaddict (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 12:19:38 PM

That's much better. Now at least we can see that something is happening. Cheers.

Could you change the balances from USD? I don't care what they're worth in USD as I'm from the UK. Also, listing the balances in USD just means that those values are inaccurate.

Keep the "Bitcoin value", in fact add GBP and EUR in as well, but those balances need to be in BTC.

The reason it's in USD and the reason we put a monetary figure on it is pretty specific.  One, we charge 0 fees, so if you'll notice the current value is a link to our Tradehill referral link.  That's so the pool can try to earn some income to pay for itself.  Having a dedicated server on a decent network with power protection, DDoS protection, etc, isn't cheap.  Second, we are in the US so we chose to use USD.

I think you have a valid concern, and maybe in the future we can add something in the account details for default currency to display (one of them simply being BTC, but all of that info is available in the account details page) but for the time being it's going to stay as USD.  There are more important things to add at this early point in the pool's life.  I'm sorry if that's not the answer you wanted to hear at this moment but it will be addressed some time in the future.

https://bitcoinmonkey.com/images/btcmonkey_ub.png
Join https://www.bitcoinmonkey.com mining pool!  0% Fees for life, LP, super low stales, API, SSL (with a real cert!), growing fast!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mabsark
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 01:42:02 PM

That's much better. Now at least we can see that something is happening. Cheers.

Could you change the balances from USD? I don't care what they're worth in USD as I'm from the UK. Also, listing the balances in USD just means that those values are inaccurate.

Keep the "Bitcoin value", in fact add GBP and EUR in as well, but those balances need to be in BTC.

The reason it's in USD and the reason we put a monetary figure on it is pretty specific.  One, we charge 0 fees, so if you'll notice the current value is a link to our Tradehill referral link.  That's so the pool can try to earn some income to pay for itself.  Having a dedicated server on a decent network with power protection, DDoS protection, etc, isn't cheap.  Second, we are in the US so we chose to use USD.

I think you have a valid concern, and maybe in the future we can add something in the account details for default currency to display (one of them simply being BTC, but all of that info is available in the account details page) but for the time being it's going to stay as USD.  There are more important things to add at this early point in the pool's life.  I'm sorry if that's not the answer you wanted to hear at this moment but it will be addressed some time in the future.

The "Bitcoin value" with the Tradehill link is fine, it's the 2 balances underneath it that make no sense. The price of USD compared to BTC is continually fluctuating so those balances will never be accurate. They absolutely 100% need to be in BTC. The user's local currency will not do, it needs to be BTC or it's totally inaccurate.

I might give you guys a try later then, but it's not for me at the moment.

bitcoinaddict (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 01:46:54 PM

The reason it's in USD and the reason we put a monetary figure on it is pretty specific.  One, we charge 0 fees, so if you'll notice the current value is a link to our Tradehill referral link.  That's so the pool can try to earn some income to pay for itself.  Having a dedicated server on a decent network with power protection, DDoS protection, etc, isn't cheap.  Second, we are in the US so we chose to use USD.

I think you have a valid concern, and maybe in the future we can add something in the account details for default currency to display (one of them simply being BTC, but all of that info is available in the account details page) but for the time being it's going to stay as USD.  There are more important things to add at this early point in the pool's life.  I'm sorry if that's not the answer you wanted to hear at this moment but it will be addressed some time in the future.

The "Bitcoin value" with the Tradehill link is fine, it's the 2 balances underneath it that make no sense. The price of USD compared to BTC is continually fluctuating so those balances will never be accurate. They absolutely 100% need to be in BTC. The user's local currency will not do, it needs to be BTC or it's totally inaccurate.

Sorry, but I'm not mining under those condition. I'm out.

Well, I'm sorry we weren't the pool for you.  Thank you for the time you spent mining with us, check back with us in a few weeks and we may have those changes implemented by then.

Good luck at your next pool, I hope they have all the features you are looking for.

Thanks

Join https://www.bitcoinmonkey.com mining pool!  0% Fees for life, LP, super low stales, API, SSL (with a real cert!), growing fast!
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:02:55 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2011, 06:46:52 PM by phorensic

I had a feeling that USD would not be the best unit for the upper right-hand display.  However, all your account balances are listed in BTC in the Account Details screen. Mining Farm added in a feature a couple versions ago where you can set your currency as the unit for the upper right-hand display.  I'm not sure if that is the best idea, though.  I might want to make it BTC throughout all pages, just to keep things consistent with the global nature of BTC.  I'll hack on it tonight.
phorensic

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:07:19 PM

The BTC value is polled every 5 minutes from TradeHill and stored in our database.  The two values underneath are simply your BTC * TradeHill worth in the last 5 minutes, rounded to two decimal places.  I'm not sure how you can claim they aren't accurate?
d3c0n808

Activity: 434
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:05:27 PM

Excellent Nice work on the table phorensic.  I think that will definitely boost user confidence.
PandaMiner

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:40:12 PM

I just noticed he quit because he couldn't see his balance in BTC, even though it was in Account Details the whole time.  That's pretty funny  Cheesy

The BTC value is polled every 5 minutes from TradeHill and stored in our database.  The two values underneath are simply your BTC * TradeHill worth in the last 5 minutes, rounded to two decimal places.  I'm not sure how you can claim they aren't accurate?

It's NOT funny.  You need to treat this like a business, not a hobby.  Everything must be in BTC for a number of reasons, and consistency is just one of them. Who cares what the tradehill value is (in any currency)?  This value fluctuates, because it is volatile in nature. (Other nations' fiat currency fluctuates too, but not as big as BTC)

Sure, your calculations on the TH market value is accurate up to the USD cent, but if there is no change in BTC in the balance, the "accurate" amount in that field goes up or down.  One can log in today, see their USD equivalent balance as "$14.35" and have no change in bitcoins, yet log in tomorrow and see "$14.67" or "$13.97" etc.  This is not an accurate representation of what the user has in their balance in bitcoins.

You lost a member/user. That is not funny. Laughing at them in a public forum, where you are showing your transparency and hoping to get more users, is bad customer service, and shows poor judgement.

❘|❘ NEUFUND Re-Imagine ICOs | Connect off- and on-chain with equity tokens | Enjoy risk-free commitment
JOIN THE ICBM | JOIN THE DISCUSSION
phorensic

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 06:52:37 PM

Our users balances are not stored in USD, they are stored in BTC in the database to 8 decimal places.  If you click on the Account Details page you can see your confirmed, unconfirmed, and estimated rewards in BTC.  The upper-right hand box is a fun way of seeing how much your BTC are worth in USD, nothing more.
bitcoinaddict (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 09:47:59 PM

I just noticed he quit because he couldn't see his balance in BTC, even though it was in Account Details the whole time.  That's pretty funny  Cheesy

It's NOT funny.  You need to treat this like a business, not a hobby.  Everything must be in BTC for a number of reasons, and consistency is just one of them. Who cares what the tradehill value is (in any currency)?  This value fluctuates, because it is volatile in nature. (Other nations' fiat currency fluctuates too, but not as big as BTC)

Sure, your calculations on the TH market value is accurate up to the USD cent, but if there is no change in BTC in the balance, the "accurate" amount in that field goes up or down.  One can log in today, see their USD equivalent balance as "$14.35" and have no change in bitcoins, yet log in tomorrow and see "$14.67" or "$13.97" etc.  This is not an accurate representation of what the user has in their balance in bitcoins.

You lost a member/user. That is not funny. Laughing at them in a public forum, where you are showing your transparency and hoping to get more users, is bad customer service, and shows poor judgement.

I pointed out in an earlier post that the BTC value is on the account details page, I may have not been completely clear since I put that part in parentheses.  It seems that everyone is assuming that we only display your current and unconfirmed balance in USD, which is not the case.  The account details page lists actual balance, unconfirmed balance, and estimated reward, all in BTC value.  The top right display is just a dashboard for monetary value and a place to put our plug for a Tradehill referral link.  We don't store any USD values anywhere on the site, all user accounts are handled in BTC and displayed plainly on the account page.  We are not hiding anything, and I think we've been pretty transparent about that fact and what we intended the top right portion of the site to accomplish (revenue).

I'm not sure if you have registered on our site and seen what is being discussed, or just going on assumption based on what's been posted here, but I just wanted to clear that up.

Also, I certainly don't find it funny to lose a member over a miscommunication or misunderstanding of our front end.  I thought I had explained to Mabsark that he could easily see the BTC value on the account details page, but either he overlooked that portion or I wasn't clear enough in my post to bring that point home to him.  Hopefully, he finds his way back to our pool but in case he doesn't I wish him the best of luck in his mining.

PandaMiner

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 11:23:54 PM

I'm not sure if you have registered on our site and seen what is being discussed, or just going on assumption based on what's been posted here, but I just wanted to clear that up.

I registered and minded last month. In fact, I just remembered to go in there and check my balance.  It turns out that my little 340 shares earned me 0.010497 BTC. So I just made a manual withdraw.

Since I am in the USA, I don't really mind the top-right "value" of my bitcoins with you.  However, as a webmaster, and marketer, I feel that the less actions a user/visitor needs to make to get to the info that they want, the better.  Logging into your front end should probably lead users straight to the account details page, rather than stats page.

❘|❘ NEUFUND Re-Imagine ICOs | Connect off- and on-chain with equity tokens | Enjoy risk-free commitment
JOIN THE ICBM | JOIN THE DISCUSSION
d3c0n808

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 11:29:37 PM

I'm not trying to start anything and great job phorensic on the stats table I know you were up all night doing that.  One thought though and you can take it or leave it.   Perhaps there should be another entry to the stats table for current block
obviously there will be no block number but it could have a null entry to display current total shares and also miner shares submitted.  Just something static cause if you miners aren't connected currently you wont be able to see how many shares they each produced this round.  Just my .02
bitcoinaddict (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 11:46:45 PM

Logging into your front end should probably lead users straight to the account details page, rather than stats page.

I think that's a great idea

phorensic

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 12:32:25 AM

I'm not trying to start anything and great job phorensic on the stats table I know you were up all night doing that.  One thought though and you can take it or leave it.   Perhaps there should be another entry to the stats table for current block
obviously there will be no block number but it could have a null entry to display current total shares and also miner shares submitted.  Just something static cause if you miners aren't connected currently you wont be able to see how many shares they each produced this round.  Just my .02
Thanks for the props.  I have worked on the pool from 8pm to sunrise the next day more times than I can count, including last night.

I was thinking about implementing your idea last night.  However, all the info you are talking about is displayed already.  Current Block is actually "Shares this Round" on the front page.  Also, the total number of shares your workers have submitted for the Current "Block"/Round is in the Manage Workers page, albeit not totalled up.  And the mysql query should get your total shares and stales whether your miners are connected or not.  I'll have to add a total.  Which then points out an obvious thing - the stats are spread out everywhere!  Might need to consolidate.  Thanks for the feedback.

Edit:  Shoot, you are right it doesn't show your worker stats if they are idle, hold on...
d3c0n808

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 01:25:02 AM

I'm not trying to start anything and great job phorensic on the stats table I know you were up all night doing that.  One thought though and you can take it or leave it.   Perhaps there should be another entry to the stats table for current block
obviously there will be no block number but it could have a null entry to display current total shares and also miner shares submitted.  Just something static cause if you miners aren't connected currently you wont be able to see how many shares they each produced this round.  Just my .02
Thanks for the props.  I have worked on the pool from 8pm to sunrise the next day more times than I can count, including last night.

I was thinking about implementing your idea last night.  However, all the info you are talking about is displayed already.  Current Block is actually "Shares this Round" on the front page.  Also, the total number of shares your workers have submitted for the Current "Block"/Round is in the Manage Workers page, albeit not totalled up.  And the mysql query should get your total shares and stales whether your miners are connected or not.  I'll have to add a total.  Which then points out an obvious thing - the stats are spread out everywhere!  Might need to consolidate.  Thanks for the feedback.

Edit:  Shoot, you are right it doesn't show your worker stats if they are idle, hold on...

Yea the worker pages works good unless for some reason your proxy decides to take a crap on you and then you cant see any stats.   Which was my case.  No rush phorensic your doing a great job on all the new add ons.  I just figured I might say something for other all nighters haha.  Anyhow man keep up the good work and lets find some more blocks! hahah

phorensic

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 01:39:03 AM

Alright, I added Worker Totals.  For some reason the total MH/s for all workers was looking artificially low, and I suck at math, so I left it out for now.  Also fixed it so that it will still display your shares and stales even if your worker is idle.  The only way you know it's idle is when it says "0 MHashes/s".  I will style that page later on to make it more obvious a worker is idle.  Also, SMS notification of idle workers is on the to-do list, maybe with a small donation % required for the feature, something bitcoinaddict and I have been talking about.
d3c0n808

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 01:43:43 AM

Excellent nice work man.  Yea as for sms I would deffinetly charge a fee or require a certain donation ammount much like btc guild.  The costs of the sms might not be much but they deffinetly add up over time.   Email notification might be something easier to implement as its just a sendmail command which could also charge a fee or donation for, and as many people have smart phones now a days it should suffice as well.   But anyhow no need to worry about that.  Great job on the stats and everything man.  I think it deffinetly bring more transparency to the pool which is what miners like/want.  At least I do.
phorensic

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 01:47:42 AM

Excellent nice work man.  Yea as for sms I would deffinetly charge a fee or require a certain donation ammount much like btc guild.  The costs of the sms might not be much but they deffinetly add up over time.   Email notification might be something easier to implement as its just a sendmail command which could also charge a fee or donation for, and as many people have smart phones now a days it should suffice as well.   But anyhow no need to worry about that.  Great job on the stats and everything man.  I think it deffinetly bring more transparency to the pool which is what miners like/want.  At least I do.
There is a cool trick for SMS notifications where you just send an e-mail to the wireless provider's special SMS "gateway" or whatever you want to call it.  You would just have to fill out your number and your wireless provider so I could get the To: address correct.  No real cost to us, but a feature we think people would pay a small donation for.  That keeps us at a 0% base fee.
bitcoinaddict (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 03:38:05 AM

There is a cool trick for SMS notifications where you just send an e-mail to the wireless provider's special SMS "gateway" or whatever you want to call it.  You would just have to fill out your number and your wireless provider so I could get the To: address correct.  No real cost to us, but a feature we think people would pay a small donation for.  That keeps us at a 0% base fee.

Yes, this is the way I was planning to have it implemented.  Unless we want to hook a cell phone up to the server LOL

phorensic

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 06:32:42 PM

Yeah, let's hook up an android phone to the server and use some clever programming with the SDK to send out SMS notifications! lol

Pool Update
Blkmond was not doing what it was supposed to do.  I don't know if you monkeys noticed or not, but there probably weren't long polling messages in your logs.  Not a surprise that it wasn't working considering comments from other pool operators.  I have replaced blkmond with a custom python script written by another member here on the boards.  It's working great for me, however it looks like you must restart your miners to get a fresh connection ready for LP pushes.  If you are the type of person who never reboots or has a dedicated rig, do us a favor and restart your miners real quick.  Thanks monkeys!
bitcoinaddict (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 03:38:03 PM

Yeah, let's hook up an android phone to the server and use some clever programming with the SDK to send out SMS notifications! lol

Pool Update
Blkmond was not doing what it was supposed to do.  I don't know if you monkeys noticed or not, but there probably weren't long polling messages in your logs.  Not a surprise that it wasn't working considering comments from other pool operators.  I have replaced blkmond with a custom python script written by another member here on the boards.  It's working great for me, however it looks like you must restart your miners to get a fresh connection ready for LP pushes.  If you are the type of person who never reboots or has a dedicated rig, do us a favor and restart your miners real quick.  Thanks monkeys!

Good work, now I can work on getting even lower stales!  One percent was just too damn high LOL!

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: