Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:31:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are We A Cult in Bitcoin?  (Read 249 times)
iamTom123 (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 01:19:40 AM

First and foremost, what is a CULT?
Q. What is a cult? And how does someone know if the faith they are following is harmful?

A. The word cult has three definitions. First of all, it can simply be a group that loves something. When people refer to an "Elvis cult" or "The O.C. cult," they mean really devoted fans.

The second definition is that of a religion whose beliefs differ from the majority around them. In the Roman Empire, Christians were sometimes considered a cult because they worshiped Jesus rather than the Roman gods.

The third, and most commonly used definition, refers to a religious group that is:

1) Exclusive. They may say, "We're the only ones with the truth; everyone else is wrong; and if you leave our group your salvation is in danger."

2) Secretive. Certain teachings are not available to outsiders or they're presented only to certain members, sometimes after taking vows of confidentiality.

3) Authoritarian. A human leader expects total loyalty and unquestioned obedience.

For the most part, this third definition of cult is being used less and less today. Experts who watch for dangerous or harmful religious groups now use the term new religious movements. The word cult can hurt people because it carries so much negative meaning. My sister was accused of being in a cult just because she preferred hanging out with Christian friends rather than going out drinking with other friends. She might have been in with a group of people that was unlike the norm (because they devotedly followed Christ), but she certainly wasn't following a harmful faith.

Taken from here.

In some arguments pinning down Bitcoin as just another bubble that pop anytime and can left many people holding empty bags, some people are claiming that Bitcoin has already relegated into some sort of a cult. Personally speaking, I find that association to be a little bit insulting because I am always careful on things I am getting into. Yes, we may have become speculators with Bitcoin but to accused us of being a cult can already be on the extreme.

Do you think that we are followers of a cult called Bitcoin? In case you agree with that then maybe it is time for you to sold your Bitcoin and leave as soon as possible.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HODLwearz

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 01:49:40 AM

First and foremost, what is a CULT?
Q. What is a cult? And how does someone know if the faith they are following is harmful?

A. The word cult has three definitions. First of all, it can simply be a group that loves something. When people refer to an "Elvis cult" or "The O.C. cult," they mean really devoted fans.

The second definition is that of a religion whose beliefs differ from the majority around them. In the Roman Empire, Christians were sometimes considered a cult because they worshiped Jesus rather than the Roman gods.

The third, and most commonly used definition, refers to a religious group that is:

1) Exclusive. They may say, "We're the only ones with the truth; everyone else is wrong; and if you leave our group your salvation is in danger."

2) Secretive. Certain teachings are not available to outsiders or they're presented only to certain members, sometimes after taking vows of confidentiality.

3) Authoritarian. A human leader expects total loyalty and unquestioned obedience.

For the most part, this third definition of cult is being used less and less today. Experts who watch for dangerous or harmful religious groups now use the term new religious movements. The word cult can hurt people because it carries so much negative meaning. My sister was accused of being in a cult just because she preferred hanging out with Christian friends rather than going out drinking with other friends. She might have been in with a group of people that was unlike the norm (because they devotedly followed Christ), but she certainly wasn't following a harmful faith.

Taken from here.

In some arguments pinning down Bitcoin as just another bubble that pop anytime and can left many people holding empty bags, some people are claiming that Bitcoin has already relegated into some sort of a cult. Personally speaking, I find that association to be a little bit insulting because I am always careful on things I am getting into. Yes, we may have become speculators with Bitcoin but to accused us of being a cult can already be on the extreme.

Do you think that we are followers of a cult called Bitcoin? In case you agree with that then maybe it is time for you to sold your Bitcoin and leave as soon as possible.

If you're a maximalist or an elitist, maybe. Just about anything can be considered a cult, though, depending on how you look at it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: