Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:04:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Total Supply  (Read 1002 times)
jacquelinecr

Activity: 294
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 01:19:43 PM

Is truly amazing if you think the limited supply. But when you know that it can break into trillions, then the hard cap supply of Bitcoin is just unlimited. Thats why I believe it will continue to rise.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 09:42:57 PM

Is truly amazing if you think the limited supply. But when you know that it can break into trillions, then the hard cap supply of Bitcoin is just unlimited. Thats why I believe it will continue to rise.
Technically speaking the true unit of bitcoin is the satoshi since it does not exist a lower unit than that, so if you look at it from that perspective we have always been limited in the amount of satoshis that are going to exists, so like you see there is not an unlimited amount of subdivisions of bitcoin there are limits and have been present from the very beginning that is why I think that at some point in the future we will need to stop talking about bitcoin and instead use mBTC as the unit of bitcoin.
xypos

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 12:18:19 AM

Bitcoin total supply is limited.
There's only 21,000,000 Bitcoins

I'd buy and hold!

Technically we can never ever even hit 21 million because we will be infinitely close to that figure but never be able to actually reach it as each halving comes by. However you make a great point still of why bitcoin is worth a buy.

It is a store of value that everyone can access for cheap, essentially. Bitcoin is pretty much like digital gold.

Except it is more convenient and you don't need to worry about "fake bitcoins".
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 01:41:13 AM

1 million bitcoins are lost forever, or until quantum computing can break sha256

I did not understand. Can you please explain how 1million bitcoin is lost?

Satoshi, the founder of Bitcoins is believed to have accumulated around 1 million Bitcoins. He disappeared from the scene a couple of years ago, and his Bitcoins are assumed to have disappeared with him.

This is all speculation though. It should also be kept in mind that there are plenty of cases of people losing their Bitcoins forever. Once the last Bitcoin is mined, we'd probably have markedly less than 21m. It's divisible into multiple decimal places though, so it should not pose too much of a problem.

Ultegra134

Activity: 1554
Merit: 744

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 01:58:10 AM

We will be dead by the time the total amount of BTC in circulation reaches 21 million. It will take many decades for that to happen. Sure, holding is one "Safe" option when it comes to Bitcoin investments, but I wouldn't consider holding just because the supply is limited, because that cap will take a vastly long time to be reached.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 03:25:45 AM

1 million bitcoins are lost forever, or until quantum computing can break sha256

I did not understand. Can you please explain how 1million bitcoin is lost?

Satoshi, the founder of Bitcoins is believed to have accumulated around 1 million Bitcoins. He disappeared from the scene a couple of years ago, and his Bitcoins are assumed to have disappeared with him.

This is all speculation though. It should also be kept in mind that there are plenty of cases of people losing their Bitcoins forever. Once the last Bitcoin is mined, we'd probably have markedly less than 21m. It's divisible into multiple decimal places though, so it should not pose too much of a problem.
And those are only satoshi coins, how many stories we have hear of people losing their bitcoin, there was a very famous story of a person that threw away a hard drive containing a lot of bitcoin and he did not realize until months later, as bitcoin becomes more valuable we are going to come to the point that those coins are going to be a like a lost treasure.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: