Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:37:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH has 2 Hard Forks coming up? If I have 1 ETH, do I get 1 of each that splits?  (Read 732 times)
iluvpie60 (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 01:53:27 PM

Question in the title.

When ETH hardforks, It is said that there will be 2 Hard Forks happening, which leads me to believe there will be ETH + ETH HF + ETH HF 2.

What will I get by owning 1 ETH, will I get one of each coin, and then have 3 coins total? Is this just like the BTC and BCH split?

Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
twinstarrider72

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 02:20:57 PM

Question in the title.

When ETH hardforks, It is said that there will be 2 Hard Forks happening, which leads me to believe there will be ETH + ETH HF + ETH HF 2.

What will I get by owning 1 ETH, will I get one of each coin, and then have 3 coins total? Is this just like the BTC and BCH split?

Smiley

When ETH forks, the other sides will die as far as I know. ETH ETC was a special situation, these ones are just general update so the other sides won't be kept alive.
iluvpie60 (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 02:23:58 PM

Question in the title.

Smiley

When ETH forks, the other sides will die as far as I know. ETH ETC was a special situation, these ones are just general update so the other sides won't be kept alive.

Is there a good article you know of that talks about this?  I am confused on this concept because why would they Hard Fork 2 times if they are just going to kill off the other 2 and keep one? Why have a Hard Fork at all?

That doesn't make sense to me.
hdtqisg

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 04:15:18 PM

Like BTc! We are two coin! But only with best price! Other as altcoin
Hypercube

Activity: 119
Merit: 105

Semantically satiated.

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 04:22:57 PM

Is there a good article you know of that talks about this?  I am confused on this concept because why would they Hard Fork 2 times if they are just going to kill off the other 2 and keep one? Why have a Hard Fork at all?

That doesn't make sense to me.

There's this one you can look into. You'll always have nodes not doing the migration, or at least not at the beginning. You can see it as a new major semver version of a package that introduces breaking changes and requires to be updated manually.

Like BTc! We are two coin! But only with best price! Other as altcoin

Like twinstarrider72 it's very unlikely to happen as it did with BCH, because there won't be support and development (unelike ETC and ETH) it will eventually die off.
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 04:30:25 PM

Actually yes, you will get the same amount of ETH for each fork.

The upcoming forks are contentious forks and i think one is even a CAHF (Community Activated Hard Fork) meaning that it is not officially from the Ethereum foundation and therefore will have a seperate support system. If this happens of course both coins will be running at the same time and you will have the double the amount of ETH + ETH HF.

The question is how much will each be valued. Will both ETH and ETH HF only equal to the current value of ETH now? Or will we get lucky like with what happened to BTC + BCH where everyone who owned BTC got free money by selling their BCH.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
Krakatoa87

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

Akroma.ovh | Ether1.ovh EU/US/ASIA Mining Pools

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 05:54:52 PM

From what I know, the upcoming ETH fork will be a soft fork, just an update of the actual ETH protocol and will not result in separate coins as it have happens with ETC, becaus it is something already planned for a long time and there isn't any discord among miners about it.
What's the second one you speak about?

kiencuong

Activity: 85

postoken

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 11:40:45 PM

best answer for hard fork, and target x (n)
 check

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1173722.0
freebutcaged

Activity: 588
Merit: 541

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 03:55:40 AM

Mate if every time a dev team is fixing something like a bug or glitch in a code and they decide to fork the code in order to upgrade to the new code

Why on earth any miner would want to stay on a buggy glitch blockchain? they will remain vulnerable to whatever exploit there was in the first place

Forcing the team to do a hard fork. with Etc miners didn't see anything wrong with the main blockchain only a smart contract was exploited, so they

Kept mining on the old chain.
shirokumo

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 07:10:58 AM

You can read more here:
https://cryptocanucks.com/metropolis-hard-fork-whats-store-ethereum/
inthelongrun

Activity: 1750
Merit: 594

The Martian Child

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 07:17:45 AM

Question in the title.

Smiley

Where did you get this conclusion or rather some observation? I haven't heard of Etherium Split other than the Etherium getting away from the original Etherium which eventually transformed into Etherium Classic. And ETC as well as ETH are still doing pretty good until now.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
AuctusProject

Activity: 66

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 07:25:05 AM

A fork will result in chain split (and a new coin) only if miners keep mining the old chain, without the new features (like ETC), and that's not the case.

So we will unlikely have a new coin in both cases.

And beside that there is something implemented on ethereum called "Ice Age" (https://www.coinstaker.com/ethereum-ice-age/), that is nothing more than an increase in blocktime to force an update. That is another reason why is unlikely that miners keep mining the old chain on both forks.

Cnut237
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 07:31:38 AM

A hard fork doesn't mean a new coin. It sometimes happens but not always. I think with ETH it's just a way of updating, and everyone will follow the new chain.

raahi

Activity: 224

View Profile
August 02, 2018, 05:12:58 AM

Nearly 1 ethereum with you right now and each Eth is now worth nearly 415 dollars which means you have nearly 540000 USD invested into ethereum now the good thing to do if that is all the cash reserve you have is to take a small sum of that and put it into bitcoin to diversify your investment portfolio
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: