Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:47:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we need Mt. Gox and other big exchanges?  (Read 1280 times)
raze (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:03:52 AM

The way I see it is that these big exchanges are what is (somewhat) stabilising the price of Bitcoins. They're not only stabilising the price, but they're giving us the price. Gox is one of the first places to check the price of Bitcoins, and it's where most other services get their prices from.

So my question is: how would we determine a Bitcoin's value without these exchanges/central services?

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stampbit

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:05:06 AM

with state MSB laws we will only ever have big exchanges, get used to it.
SamS

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:23:21 AM

I think the long-term idea is that domestically oriented Bitcoin exchanges become less and less necessary as bitcoin transactions become ubiquitous. That may or may not have anything to do with what happens overseas though.

Bitcoin: 16i8sQWjZo3QPhhSfWupJff5PtwTxxpRJJ
Ripple:  rL7mRCDYBXsVSM2obdvEjwft5fPUmxv3ra
noelmal

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:32:57 AM

bitcoin hopefully will be a currency all by itself oneday so exchanges wont be necassery
bitcryptonit

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:38:10 AM

bitcoin hopefully will be a currency all by itself oneday so exchanges wont be necassery
this idea i would support, with globalisation there is no other choice

joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 12:00:59 PM

Remember the US market isn't all encompassing, there's lots of room for exchanges elsewhere in the world, hopefully somebody makes a stand allowing an exchange and disallowing the americans to seize/freeze/mess with their assets.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
yocko06

1Kgyk4nQSzb3Pm9E9vWiGVyJ6jpPwripKf

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 01:43:57 PM

yes bitcoin does need big exchanges for the price to be steady. if there where no big exchanges to go by there would be mass confusion in the value of bitcoin. it would be a huge pain in the ass for someone to bulk buy bitcoin or bulk sell. I think the exchanges like mtgox should be used for volume trading and there should be local money exchanges like at air ports who buy and sell bitcoin in smaller volume. I also think .ci
company's like Western Union could cash in on bitcoin by becoming exchanges thus allowing people to send money anywhere there is a Western Union and cash it out on the other side.
ffssixtynine

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 01:50:44 PM

yes bitcoin does need big exchanges for the price to be steady. if there where no big exchanges to go by there would be mass confusion in the value of bitcoin. it would be a huge pain in the ass for someone to bulk buy bitcoin or bulk sell. I think the exchanges like mtgox should be used for volume trading and there should be local money exchanges like at air ports who buy and sell bitcoin in smaller volume. I also think .ci
company's like Western Union could cash in on bitcoin by becoming exchanges thus allowing people to send money anywhere there is a Western Union and cash it out on the other side.

^this^

Bitcoin needs fiat, like it or not. Without fiat it will only be a niche item for a few techies and criminals. If you want that then so be it, but something else will fill the vacuum that Bitcoin should have had; perhaps something rather less open.

Bitcoin isn't going to replace fiat for a huge number of reasons, but it damn well should replace it for online 'cash' payments, micro transactions (once fees/dust issues are fixed), and international transfers.

yocko06

1Kgyk4nQSzb3Pm9E9vWiGVyJ6jpPwripKf

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:00:40 PM

^this^

Bitcoin needs fiat, like it or not. Without fiat it will only be a niche item for a few techies and criminals. If you want that then so be it, but something else will fill the vacuum that Bitcoin should have had; perhaps something rather less open.

Bitcoin isn't going to replace fiat for a huge number of reasons, but it damn well should replace it for online 'cash' payments, micro transactions (once fees/dust issues are fixed), and international transfers.

Bitcoin only needs fiat until the world is using it and nobody want fiat anymore. at this point there will be a set value for bitcoin because it will have reached saturation point. when there is a world full of people using bitcoin the value will be the most stable. if another 1000 people come on board at this point it won't even move the value by fractions.
At the moment bitcoin needs big exchanges and small ones, it also needs fiat. this is just a growing pain for bitcoin. there is no telling how long market saturation will take if it ever does but this is my forecast.
doom309

Activity: 170
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:57:39 PM

if, for example, you think of bitcoin as gold, the physical commodity, then exchanges around the world give us the "spot price" of gold, which at present is falling after a decade of gains, and while that is the "official" price of gold, and for many people the indicator as to whether they should buy or sell gold, there is also the price people are prepared to pay, p2p, or via dealers, which is more in line with true supply and demand - of the physical gold ...

bitcoins exchanges will always be needed for investment purposes, and there will always be these "bitcoin spot" prices depending on whether its being traded on exchanges as a currency or a commodity, but p2p and for buying things - people will always be free to set their own prices, depending on their idea of value, oversupply, shortage, etc
ffssixtynine

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:12:54 PM

The world will always need fiat (foreseeable future). To think otherwise is to be drinking Bitcoin Kool Aid. I'm a big proponent of Bitcoin/cryptocoins but it has a place, and that place isn't everywhere.

I think it could be awesome for mobile payment systems and online payment systems, so could be the best electronic alternative to cash. Which was the original plan of course. Other technologies, which may involve Bitcoin, will deal with things like credit (OT, Ripple). And more coins will handle some areas too.

But fiat currencies are not going away. Far to pervasive, important internationally, and Bitcoin is not the be all and end all. Bitcoin also needs an Internet connection, so you're always going to need fiat cash for a start. Maybe less often though, that's for sure.
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:56:37 PM

No we need many smaller exchanges, local exchanges, and p2p exchanges
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 09:03:21 PM

All we really need is price discovery for goods and services in terms of Bitcoin. People should always be able to acquire bitcoin considering all they really need to do is start mining them. If somebody wants to buy $10,000 worth of bitcoin and no exchanges exist to do that easily or securely, simply buy $10,000 worth of mining hardware and get cracking. It might take a while to get there, but the point is nobody will ever deprive you of access to Bitcoin.

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
raze (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 11:45:35 PM

All we really need is price discovery for goods and services in terms of Bitcoin. People should always be able to acquire bitcoin considering all they really need to do is start mining them. If somebody wants to buy $10,000 worth of bitcoin and no exchanges exist to do that easily or securely, simply buy $10,000 worth of mining hardware and get cracking. It might take a while to get there, but the point is nobody will ever deprive you of access to Bitcoin.

It's getting harder and harder for the "average person" to get into mining though. There aren't many people who have $10k lying around to gamble unfortunately. Personally, I hope to make a few BTC from an online service that I plan on announcing in about a month. The only choice people are going to be left with eventually is buying it because mining will be too hard, and most people don't have the skills/funds to start an online service. That's why I don't think we'll be getting out of the fiat -> bitcoin method for a long time.

Daily Anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 11:49:25 PM

It's getting harder and harder for the "average person" to get into mining though. There aren't many people who have $10k lying around to gamble unfortunately. Personally, I hope to make a few BTC from an online service that I plan on announcing in about a month. The only choice people are going to be left with eventually is buying it because mining will be too hard, and most people don't have the skills/funds to start an online service. That's why I don't think we'll be getting out of the fiat -> bitcoin method for a long time.

How is mining getting more difficult? Avalon ASIC allow you just simply plug in and go. The mining software is built in. No need to be a techie in the slightest. There are plenty of people who want to buy $10,000 worth of bitcoin, and every other amount, too. $10,000 can get you several ASICs of varying sizes. Oh, and now these little USB ASICs. Naa, if you live in a country that doesn't have easy purchasing of BTC's it's not too difficult to mine the BTC's you want.

raze (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 11:58:38 PM

How is mining getting more difficult? Avalon ASIC allow you just simply plug in and go. The mining software is built in. No need to be a techie in the slightest. There are plenty of people who want to buy $10,000 worth of bitcoin, and every other amount, too. $10,000 can get you several ASICs of varying sizes. Oh, and now these little USB ASICs. Naa, if you live in a country that doesn't have easy purchasing of BTC's it's not too difficult to mine the BTC's you want.

How is mining getting more difficult?

Well for starters, it's impossible to create a profit with a single GPU now.

As for ASICS, they'd be alright if you could get one, but there's a long waiting list, a lot of scammy sites, and very high prices since they're quite new on the market. Those USB ASICS will make very little, if any, profit if you got one today.

Daily Anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 11:59:57 PM

How is mining getting more difficult?

Well for starters, it's impossible to create a profit with a single GPU now.

As for ASICS, they'd be alright if you could get one, but there's a long waiting list, a lot of scammy sites, and very high prices since they're quite new on the market. Those USB ASICS will make very little, if any, profit if you got one today.

If you remove the expectation that mining has to be profitable then it's not a problem. I think there are plenty of miners out there who enjoy getting bitcoins without going through the exchange and also enjoy mining just to help protect the network.

mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:42:44 AM

I think the long-term idea is that domestically oriented Bitcoin exchanges become less and less necessary as bitcoin transactions become ubiquitous. That may or may not have anything to do with what happens overseas though.

We will always need exchanges as bitcoin will never be able to completely replace the dollar.

Since complying with MSB laws is expensive and difficult there only ever will be big exchanges.
Daily Anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 05:15:49 AM

We will always need exchanges as bitcoin will never be able to completely replace the dollar.

Since complying with MSB laws is expensive and difficult there only ever will be big exchanges.

I'll be disappointed if Bitcoin DOESN'T replace the Dollar.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: