Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:38:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Tornado victims and AT&T  (Read 600 times)
data_teks (OP)

Activity: 267
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:18:00 AM

Little background: I live in OKC about 20 minutes from where the Tornado hit. Today my brother-in law told me a little story that happen over the weekend:

His best friend Steve Cobb ( https://www.facebook.com/steve.cobb.391 ) was inside the Briarwood school (1 of 2) with his whole family when the school was completely destroyed. Steve and his family actually did an interview with Diane Sawyer because of this photo that someone got of him right after the tornado hit:

So during the tornado, both him and his wife's cell phones were literally sucked right out of their pockets. Well days later, he was allowed to go back and he searched through the rubble and actually found both their phones from under the same rumble he picked off his family to get free. Both phones where beat to all hell.

So he went and took them into the At&t store over this last weekend because their phones are insured (both are newer iphones). He explained his situation, but they refused to allow any claims because they had "water damage"...

Ain't that some Sh**?  If it was me, At&t better hope I don't get any more national interviews (I would go out of my way to try and get another) because I would create a serious PR problem for them.

Now I am really posting this because if anyone has any connections with At&t that could get him fixed up, we down here in Oklahoma would appreciate it.

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RichG

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:22:06 AM

Did they say that water damage was covered in the insurance contract?

If not, they don't have to accept RMA claims on them.
data_teks (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:40:09 AM

I see what you're saying, but the phones weren't "just water damage" like he dropped it in the sink. The phones were smashed to hell in a natural disaster. Any water damage had little to no effect on why the phones were now defective (we had massive rainstorms the day after the tornado hit). You can go outside and smash your phone on the ground and they will cover that.

The At&t store just used a loophole to not cover the phones; which is a slap in the face to a family that has lost almost all their material possessions in 1 day.
RichG

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:46:22 AM

AT&T can do that if they wish. It's their insurance we're talking about here.
data_teks (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:05:24 AM

Well be it as it may and since I'm not a civil contract lawyer, I will refer to my original post: 

"Now I am really posting this because if anyone has any connections with At&t that could get him fixed up, we down here in Oklahoma would appreciate it."

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 04:00:37 AM

I see what you're saying, but the phones weren't "just water damage" like he dropped it in the sink. The phones were smashed to hell in a natural disaster. Any water damage had little to no effect on why the phones were now defective (we had massive rainstorms the day after the tornado hit). You can go outside and smash your phone on the ground and they will cover that.

The At&t store just used a loophole to not cover the phones; which is a slap in the face to a family that has lost almost all their material possessions in 1 day.

Yeah, but you can't drop it in the toilet, then smash it and expect it to be covered. Not saying that happened, just saying look at it from their perspective.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
data_teks (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 01:18:11 PM

Well since I have never had to use phone insurance before, I thought it was dumb that "water damage" wouldn't be covered under an insurance policy when I heard this story. But you guys jumping to at&t's defense, I figure I best check since I guess you guys know the facts. Well I just looked over the insurance policy here:

http://ec2-174-129-175-61.compute-1.amazonaws.com/pdf/clientPDFs/documents/att/Terms-And-Conditions-MI.pdf

So you tell me? Because as far as I can tell, I can drop it in the toilet and then smash it and still be covered. Unless I'm missing something here?

Covered Incidents:

Lost, stolen, accidental physical or liquid damage,
mechanical and/or electrical malfunction after the
manufacturer’s warranty period has expired

D. COVERED CAUSE OF LOSS.
We cover all risk of direct physical Loss to Covered Property regardless of other insurance you may have except that we do not cover those causes of Loss
listed in the Exclusions (Section II).

I. EXCLUSIONS.

We will not pay for Loss caused directly or indirectly or resulting from events, conditions or cause of Loss identified in this Section II. Such Losses are
excluded regardless of any other cause or event that contributes concurrently or in any sequence to the Loss.

A. Indirect Loss, meaning: any delay; loss of market; loss of use or any other consequential loss; interruption of business, or inconvenience; an increase of
Loss caused by or resulting from the delay in replacing Covered Property due to interference at the location of replacement or repair by strikers, other
persons or any other cause of loss.

B. Loss due to the intentional parting of Covered Property by you or anyone entrusted with the property. Loss due to intentional, dishonest, fraudulent or
criminal acts by you or your family members; any of your authorized representatives; anyone you entrust with the property; and any of their family
members; or anyone else with an interest in the property for any purpose, acting alone or in collusion with others.

C. Loss due to obsolescence, including technological obsolescence, of the Covered Property.

D. Loss caused by or resulting from change or enhancement in color, texture, or finish. Loss caused by or resulting from expansion, contraction, or any
cosmetic damage of Covered Property, however caused. Such excluded causes of Loss include, but are not limited to, scratches, marring, and cracked
displays that occur to Covered Property that do not affect the mechanical or electrical function of the Covered Property.

E. Loss caused by or resulting from faulty repair, adjusting, installation, servicing or maintenance, unless fire or explosion ensues and then only for Loss
by ensuing fire or explosion. Loss caused by or resulting from unauthorized repair or replacement.

F. Loss caused by or resulting from the discharge, dispersal, seepage, migration, release or escape of Pollutants.

G. Loss caused by or resulting from use of the Covered Property in a manner for which it was not designed or intended by the manufacturer. Loss caused
by or resulting from failure to follow the manufacturer’s installation, operation or maintenance instructions.

H. Loss caused by or resulting from error or omission in design, programming, system configuration, faulty construction, or any original defect in any
Covered Property, or manufacturer’s recall. Loss due to Mechanical and/or Electrical Failure occurring during the term of the manufacturer’s warranty.

I. Loss or damage to or of batteries (unless otherwise covered as a Covered Accessory when part of a Loss to other Covered Property) is not covered. Loss or damage to or of personalized data, such as contact lists, photos, video, and music downloads is not covered. Loss or damage to or of customized
software, such as personal information managers (PIM’s), ring tones, games, or screen savers is not covered. Loss or damage to or of antennas, external
housings, or casings that does not affect the mechanical or electrical function of the Covered Property is not covered.

J. Loss caused by or resulting from normal wear and tear, gradual deterioration, inherent vice or latent defect.

K. Any Loss or damage caused by or through or in consequence, directly or indirectly, of Computer Virus, whether intentional or unintentional, and
whether such loss be direct or indirect, proximate or remote or be in whole or in part caused by, contributed to or aggravated by the covered causes of
Loss insured against under this Certificate.

L. Any Loss or damage caused by or through or in consequence, directly or indirectly, of Nuclear Hazard, meaning any weapon employing atomic fission
or fusion; or nuclear reaction or radiation or radioactive contamination from any other cause; but we will pay for direct
physical Loss caused by resulting fire, if the fire would be covered under this Certificate. Loss caused by or resulting from war, including undeclared or civil
war; warlike action by a military force, including action hindering or defending against an actual or expected attack, by any government, sovereign or other authority using military personnel or other agents; or insurrection, rebellions, revolution, usurped power of action taken by government authority in hindering or defending against any of these. Loss caused by or resulting from Governmental Action, meaning seizure or destruction of property by order of governmental
authority including economic and trade sanction as provided under applicable law and U.S. Treasury Department guidelines.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:50:56 PM

G. Loss caused by or resulting from use of the Covered Property in a manner for which it was not designed or intended by the manufacturer. Loss caused
by or resulting from failure to follow the manufacturer’s installation, operation or maintenance instructions.

I get this quoted a lot when I make claims for my electronics. It basically means anything under the sun that destroys the electronics.  Undecided
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 04:25:00 PM

Well since I have never had to use phone insurance before, I thought it was dumb that "water damage" wouldn't be covered under an insurance policy when I heard this story. But you guys jumping to at&t's defense, I figure I best check since I guess you guys know the facts. Well I just looked over the insurance policy here:

http://ec2-174-129-175-61.compute-1.amazonaws.com/pdf/clientPDFs/documents/att/Terms-And-Conditions-MI.pdf

So you tell me? Because as far as I can tell, I can drop it in the toilet and then smash it and still be covered. Unless I'm missing something here?

Covered Incidents:

Lost, stolen, accidental physical or liquid damage,
mechanical and/or electrical malfunction after the
manufacturer’s warranty period has expired

Nice, water damage usually voids a warranty in my experience, they have little tabs inside them change color when they get wet so they can tell at a glance if it's been wet or not. I dunno then, I'd be inclined to think maybe the somewhere through the grapevine the actual stated reasons got mixed up or overly simplified, tends to happen. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
data_teks (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:48:04 PM

Yeah; I think the store employee was thinking warranty policy vs insurance policy as they are two separate things...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: