Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:27:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero ASIC next from Baikal (was: Bitmain)?  (Read 3329 times)
bytiges (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 10:07:01 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2018, 01:07:29 PM by bytiges

I'm thinking about the sudden hashrate increase in XMR, trying to explain it. It's 5 fold increase in a couple of months.

Is it that every GPU migrated from ETH to XMR? I think this is not likely, seeing ETH hashrate. And GPU supply is limited at the moment. There are not enough GPU in production to justify a 5-fold increase in such a small timeframe. Everybody and their parents started mining on the home rig ? Might be, but still, I don't buy it.

What is somebody is using asics. Perhaps preliminary or private development. Think about the D3 and what it is going to do to X11.

And if this is true, who could this be ? My coins would go with Bitmain.

I know, Cryptonote is supposed to be memory intensive and thus not asic friendly. But, 2MB is not that much and asics with such memory exist. The only risk for such an asic would be the hard forks of monero. They could increase the memory size, or maybe not. Many CPU had 2MB of cache and exceeding that would make CPUs unfit for mining.

So, my guess is that we're going to see an ASIC for Cryptonote really soon. What do you think?
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 10:27:36 PM

Roughly $465k worth of XMR is being mined every day. That attracts a lot of people and I'd be surprised if some people hadn't invest a lot of money into R&D'ing some sort of a high speed miner by now.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Insanerman

Activity: 1162
Merit: 450

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 10:32:20 PM

Roughly $465k worth of XMR is being mined every day. That attracts a lot of people and I'd be surprised if some people hadn't invest a lot of money into R&D'ing some sort of a high speed miner by now.

Thats huge amount, I think thats explains above questions. People are finding opportunity in Monera mining. Miners are wise enough to seek which and where  is profitable of course.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 11:20:37 PM

Thats huge amount, I think thats explains above questions. People are finding opportunity in Monera mining. Miners are wise enough to seek which and where  is profitable of course.

Only way to secure the block chain is to give miners proper reward. Many coins will face a problem here sooner or later. Monero will not, because it knows that when it comes to information's and money security is most important.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 09:09:35 AM

GPUs are only a small portion of the hashrate on Monero.

bytiges (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 09:35:52 AM

Well, dare to explain a little ? You mean CPU run on servers or do you mean there are actual ASICs involved (or fpga)?

We've seen a huge increase in few days in the hashing power a few weeks ago. That is why I think somebody has turned on a little private farm with asics.

Currently GPU do not ROI in reasonable time on Monero, unless price doubles in the next 6 months.
KaydenC

Activity: 610
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2017, 09:39:31 AM

Well, dare to explain a little ? You mean CPU run on servers or do you mean there are actual ASICs involved (or fpga)?

We've seen a huge increase in few days in the hashing power a few weeks ago. That is why I think somebody has turned on a little private farm with asics.

Currently GPU do not ROI in reasonable time on Monero, unless price doubles in the next 6 months.

My AMD farm is more profitable on monero than ETH. It might not be worth buying new cards, but people with existing cards are likely switching to XMR.
Kompik

Activity: 463
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 09:58:50 AM

It is because of the ehereum ice age in place, people are switching since it becomes more profitable with GPU. Also because of the low power usage of the algo.

Bitrated user: Kompik.
Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 11:51:09 AM

Maybe its new scam/virus running around?
sohard4me

Activity: 125
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 12:08:11 PM

Monero is memory intesive algo.

If Bitmain is able to create ASIC for memory intensive algo, probably they'll target ethereum (ethash) first

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   Infinex  ✔  Masternode  ✔  Decentralised ✔ Instant Send   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN US AT DISCORD    ★    ✔ ACTIVE DISCUSSION  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN TELEGRAM MASTERNODE ONLINE  MNRANK  TWITTER  CRYPTOBRIDGE   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hwgeek

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 12:28:36 PM

Read the news- the largest torrent site piratebay has managed to run monero cpu mining on the webpage of users, that milions of PC's.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 12:30:48 PM

Related :

Read the news- the largest torrent site piratebay has managed to run monero cpu mining on the webpage of users, that milions of PC's.

and this is only the tip of the iceberg.
generalt
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 01:10:19 PM

https://coin-hive.com/blog/status-report

“...We have since peaked at 13.5M hashes/s – a quite respectable 5% of the global hash rate of the Monero blockchain.”

It's hardly respectable when the majority of that is probably from malware:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/coinhive-is-rapidly-becoming-a-favorite-tool-among-malware-devs/

BTC: 1GENERALrtBAjEv2Ps5cmEW1FADnXh1bCZ
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 01:24:10 PM

If Bitmain is able to create ASIC for memory intensive algo, probably they'll target ethereum (ethash) first

Coin                    PoW Memory requirement in MB
Litecoin                0.125
Monero                2
Ethereum             2048

All these are "memory hard". Guess which ones are easier to make ASICs for...
sevenmiles

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 03:17:09 PM

Bitmain just release two new miners:
Antminer G1 Ethereum Miner of NVIDIA GTX1060 GPU Miner
Antminer G2 Ethereum Miner of AMD RX570 GPU Miner

THe implication is pretty clear - they cannot successfully figure out how to develop the ethash algo ASIC for ethereum mining...and looks like same applies to other ASIC resist algos  Wink Wink

ice2090

Activity: 178

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 03:31:06 PM

Cryptonote coins are ASIC resistant coins
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 04:42:34 PM

As others have mentioned.

Movement away from the ETH family of coins.

I believe EXP and MUSIC are also ice aging on the same schedule.

bytiges (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 06:14:55 PM

Coin                    PoW Memory requirement in MB
Litecoin                0.125
Monero                2
Ethereum             2048

I totally agree. No point investing in eth as it it also going to POS.

Monero is the next one to get an asic, I'm quite sure. 2MB of memory is a lot for an asic but can be done.

It also means that those asics will not disrupt the "scene" as much as the D3 is doing with X11. More memory means more space wasted on the silicon and less processing power per sqi.

The only issue with xmr, which might actually save it from asics is the scheduled hard forks. It would be relatively easy to modify it enough to take asics out of business, like a slight change to the algo that makes old hardware not compatible.
garytheasshole

Activity: 406
Merit: 105

Chosŏn Minjujuŭi Inmin Konghwaguk

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2017, 12:30:59 PM

Coin                    PoW Memory requirement in MB
Litecoin                0.125
Monero                2
Ethereum             2048

I totally agree. No point investing in eth as it it also going to POS.

Monero is the next one to get an asic, I'm quite sure. 2MB of memory is a lot for an asic but can be done.

It also means that those asics will not disrupt the "scene" as much as the D3 is doing with X11. More memory means more space wasted on the silicon and less processing power per sqi.

The only issue with xmr, which might actually save it from asics is the scheduled hard forks. It would be relatively easy to modify it enough to take asics out of business, like a slight change to the algo that makes old hardware not compatible.

Wouldn't a "slight" change in the algo also invalidate all previous blocks?

bytiges (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 12:54:42 PM

only if you run an older version (like an asic). new versions can be adapted to use one algo till block X and another algo after.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: