Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:33:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGOX Limit Orders placed prior to the breach.. Not Cancelled??  (Read 3405 times)
RchGrav (OP)

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:22:43 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2011, 06:30:41 AM by RchGrav

This order was placed based upon market conditions PRIOR to the attack... and was subsequently executed as a result of that attack.

I don't like being locked out of my account and being unable to fix my standing limit order.

Does anyone know for sure if our buy orders placed prior to the attack have been cleared out?

We all deserve a chance to evaluate our standing orders before having them execute beyond our control.

I really hope the intention of the 60 minute window before trading resumes is meant for people to be able to PLACE new orders... not scramble to protect themselves from having trades execute against their wishes.

This is really bothering me... I'm sure I'm not alone.

4C 6F 6E 67  4C 69 76 65  42 69 74 63 6F 69 6E
Qba'g lbh unir nalguvat orggre gb qb?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:24:16 AM

It's been stated many times --

All open orders have been canceled.
geek-trader

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:52:39 AM

I'm in the same boat as you.  Before I went to bed the night before the attack, I place an buy order at 12, thinking, "hey, if I wake up and it executed, great!" but I really didn't expect it to.  I woke up the next day, and saw I had an email that the order was executed.  I tried to log into MtGox, and it was really slow.  Turns out the attack happend about 10 minutes prior to me waking up.

Anyway......

The way I read Mt Gox's current messages: "Users whose trades were effectively cancelled during the the sell-off will be able to trade for free for 1 month following the reopening...", you and I get free trades for a month, since our limit orders executed and will be cancelled by the rollback.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
RchGrav (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:53:29 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2011, 06:23:19 AM by RchGrav

It's been stated many times --

All open orders have been canceled.

Where exactly did you read this?  I have asked for clarification of this fact.. and I have yet to find it..   All I have found is speculation and heresay...

Could you please do me a kindness, .....  LINK!?!?!

This is the best I can find...

" shortly after the backend is up and running we will allow customers with newly reclaimed accounts to login to Mt.Gox, and use the site as per usual, with the exception that active trading will be disabled. Users may place orders to buy or sell, but they will be queued until we enable trading, which will most likely be a couple of hours after users are able to login to Mt.Gox. "

" Users with reclaimed accounts will be able to login to Mt.Gox on Friday June 24th at 3:00 GMT (12:00 JST). Once you are logged back into the Mt.Gox site you will be able to withdraw and deposit funds as per usual. You will not be able to trade initially, but we plan to activate trading within an hour of the site being up (4:00 GMT)"

"We will relaunch the site on June 25 at 3:00 GMT. Trading will resume at 4:00 GMT (same day)."

RchGrav (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:04:41 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2011, 06:27:27 AM by RchGrav

I'm in the same boat as you.  Before I went to bed the night before the attack, I place an buy order at 12, thinking, "hey, if I wake up and it executed, great!" but I really didn't expect it to.  I woke up the next day, and saw I had an email that the order was executed.  I tried to log into MtGox, and it was really slow.  Turns out the attack happend about 10 minutes prior to me waking up.

Anyway......

The way I read Mt Gox's current messages: "Users whose trades were effectively cancelled during the the sell-off will be able to trade for free for 1 month following the reopening...", you and I get free trades for a month, since our limit orders executed and will be cancelled by the rollback.

Why does the first person crucify me for asking for clarification on this fact?  Yet provide no source to where he gained this info.

As far as I know.. there has been NO STATEMENTS regarding open orders...  only executed ones...

please someone .. if you have info regarding this fact,.. I need to know for sure.

I made arrangements to be available tonight to get in and fix my accounts before trading resumes... and I am still worried 60 minutes won't cut it due to system load.

"The bitcoin will be back to around 17.5$/BTC after we rollback all trades that have happened after the huge Bitcoin sale that happened on June 20th near 3:00am (JST)."  

How would this even be possible if the buy orders have been removed???

Horkabork

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:35:39 AM

I'm in the same boat as you.  Before I went to bed the night before the attack, I place an buy order at 12, thinking, "hey, if I wake up and it executed, great!" but I really didn't expect it to.  I woke up the next day, and saw I had an email that the order was executed.  I tried to log into MtGox, and it was really slow.  Turns out the attack happend about 10 minutes prior to me waking up.

Anyway......

I have seen others asking this question.. but I have yet to see a direct response regarding the status of the open orders after the rollback.

Only that the system was rolled back to the state it was in prior to the breach... and that any orders that were executed were also rolled back.

When the system comes back.. the BTC value will be 17.51..

The only way that would be possible would be if the buy and sell orders were still present... no?

Why does the first person crucify me for asking for clarification on this fact?  Yet provide no source to where he gained this info.

My current understanding is that if you want to change your standing orders you will have about 60 minutes to do so.. assuming you gain access to your account before trading resumes.

and assuming that MT.Gox isn't overloaded, and assuming that maybe the open order were also canceled maybe you won't have to worry...

As far as I know.. there has been NO STATEMENTS regarding open orders...  only executed ones...

please someone .. if you have info regarding this fact,.. I need to know for sure.

I made arrangements to be available tonight to get in and fix my accounts before trading resumes... and I am still worried 60 minutes won't cut it due to system load.

All orders are getting wiped, regardless of whether they were previously filled and then rolled back.

The 17.51 value just so happens to be the amount at the time just before the flash crash. Since, in the time between when we can log in and when the market starts, we'll all be able to place orders, the value is kind of meaningless unless it happens that people make their bids and asks around that number.

If, when the market opens, the balance of orders is with offers around 14.50 and bids around 14.50, then 17.51 will be pretty much pointless as a starting price except for those 0.001 seconds between when the market opens and the queue is processed. Okay, I'm just making a logical guess that that is how it will work, especially because we won't have things like Market On Open orders and it's silly to suggest that Mt. Gox do something like NASDAQ's opening cross.

EDIT: The above was confirmed on IRC (essentially):

<Ooofo> magicaltux, can you enlighten us on how opening orders will be processed? I assume there will be a queue created with orders processed by time of submission and it'll almost instantly go from 17.51 to whatever the price is at which no trades can be matched.
<MagicalTux> Ooofo: yep, queue

Me: 15gbWvpLPfbLJZBsL2u5gkBdL3BUXDbTuF
A goat: http://i52.tinypic.com/34pj4v6.jpg
d.james

Activity: 280

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:34:57 AM

I'm in the same boat as you.  Before I went to bed the night before the attack, I place an buy order at 12, thinking, "hey, if I wake up and it executed, great!" but I really didn't expect it to.  I woke up the next day, and saw I had an email that the order was executed.  I tried to log into MtGox, and it was really slow.  Turns out the attack happend about 10 minutes prior to me waking up.

Lucky you, if you woke up 10min earlier you could've been Kevin Day Cheesy

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 01:40:43 PM

"The bitcoin will be back to around 17.5$/BTC after we rollback all trades that have happened after the huge Bitcoin sale that happened on June 20th near 3:00am (JST)."  

That will be the "last price" reported on the system when it comes back up.  It will change as soon as the first new order matches.

Hey, putting my text in giant red letters like a jackass was kinda fun.  I should do it more often.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
finack

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:12:50 PM

Where exactly did you read this?  I have asked for clarification of this fact.. and I have yet to find it..   All I have found is speculation and heresay...

Good question. I know I saw this officially stated somewhere - I absolutely remember reading it and knowing it was from Adam or Mark aka official - and not just in irc. I'm 90% sure it was on the support page mtgox.com is being redirected to. It's definitely not there now, though, and I confirmed it wasn't something MagicalTux posted here. If it did come from there and now it's gone I'm not sure what to make of it - my first guess would be just another communication failure, but I certainly wouldn't rule out them deleting it because they had a change of heart. It's real hard to understand why they'd do that though, it'd be the final nail in their coffin for sure if they left the old order book up and forced a bunch of trades at the old market level.
RchGrav (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:34:16 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2011, 02:47:12 PM by RchGrav

That will be the "last price" reported on the system when it comes back up.  It will change as soon as the first new order matches.

Hey, putting my text in giant red letters like a jackass was kinda fun.  I should do it more often.

Hey Kyle..

Can I assume that you became a "Hero Member" who is "Usually Right"  by mostly making useless posts like this one?

I'm wondering if some day I could become a "Hero Member" by finding random threads to insult people in.. thats an easy way to raise my post count if I don't have anything useful or helpful to add to the thread of the person who may be genuinely looking to get an answer...

For all you know I could have been around here for months before you ever joined... and that I also signed up @ MT.Gox thousands of users accounts before you did.

In the end... you don't know how much I stand to lose here... or possibly how much hinges on the answer to this simple question..

But still... you don't see me running around insinuating that others are "Jack-Asses" for asking legitimate questions, just to raise my post count...

Did I write my first post in big red letters Kyle?  Is it something I normally do when I chose to make a post... or only when I'm quickly dismissed as some newbie user that showed up here a few weeks ago that is asking stupid questions...

I appreciate your help in this matter.. next beer down at Diggers is on me.

The Jackass,

RchGrav

RchGrav (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:39:29 PM

Good question. I know I saw this officially stated somewhere - I absolutely remember reading it and knowing it was from Adam or Mark aka official - and not just in irc. I'm 90% sure it was on the support page mtgox.com is being redirected to. It's definitely not there now, though, and I confirmed it wasn't something MagicalTux posted here. If it did come from there and now it's gone I'm not sure what to make of it - my first guess would be just another communication failure, but I certainly wouldn't rule out them deleting it because they had a change of heart. It's real hard to understand why they'd do that though, it'd be the final nail in their coffin for sure if they left the old order book up and forced a bunch of trades at the old market level.

No.. it wasn't there.. they just moved stuff around.. its all essentially the same text.

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:50:43 PM

Grow some thicker skin.  I answered your question, and I only insulted you personally.  You, on the other hand insulted the entire community (very slightly) by disregarding forum etiquette.

Good luck with your post count and your mtgox account.

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:51:55 PM

Good question. I know I saw this officially stated somewhere - I absolutely remember reading it and knowing it was from Adam or Mark aka official - and not just in irc. I'm 90% sure it was on the support page mtgox.com is being redirected to.

I'm basically like you. I know I have read it somewhere, but I can't remember any further detail.
RchGrav (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:56:31 PM

Grow some thicker skin.  I answered your question, and I only insulted you personally.  You, on the other hand insulted the entire community (very slightly) by disregarding forum etiquette.

Good luck with your post count and your mtgox account.
Hey Kyle.. I sent you the bitcoins to buy the beer at Diggers..  I may be a jackass... but I'm a man of my word!

And actually no.. you told me something I already knew...  Honestly.. since I am unable to find the source of the fact I am asking for.. I'm just taking it as "read" at this point.

I have NOT insulted this community.. as it is one I believe in.. 

I also have a really bad habit of doing too much lurking and not enough posting.. in any forum I belong to.

I'm usually the guy who has been around a long time.. with only a couple of posts.

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:58:40 PM

Hey, putting my text in giant red letters like a jackass was kinda fun.  I should do it more often.
Hey Kyle.. I sent you the bitcoins to buy the beer at Diggers..  I may be a jackass... but I'm a man of my word!

Cool thanks, Richard.  I don't get over that way very often, but I'll be sure to grab a beer the next time I do.

AbeSkray

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:00:08 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2011, 03:15:03 PM by AbeSkray

Good question. I know I saw this officially stated somewhere - I absolutely remember reading it and knowing it was from Adam or Mark aka official - and not just in irc. I'm 90% sure it was on the support page mtgox.com is being redirected to.

I'm basically like you. I know I have read it somewhere, but I can't remember any further detail.

I asked this question in another thread. Unfortunately I received two contradicting responses that referenced the same source! The source was the The Bitcoin Show interview with Mt Gox. Skip to minute 38:00 where Mt Gox is asked if the order book would be cleared out. I've listened a few times, but Mark's accent is difficult for me to process. It sounds like he says:
  • Yes, your orders will still be there (if they are close(?) to Bitcoin -- not sure what that means), and
  • you will have an option to clear your orders when your account reclamation is approved

Edit: Here's my attempt at transcribing the dialogue:

OOTV: When you reopen, will the order book be empty? Will all the orders be cancelled?
Adam (repeating the question for Mark): If you had an open order before the attack will you still have an open order?
Mark: Yeah, if you had an open order you will still have an open order if its still close enough to Bitcoin. Unless when you claim you will have an option to cancel all the open orders, too.

It sounds like Mark is saying that limit orders close to the last price of Bitcoin (17.51) will be restored -- which would explain how the price would be restored. But how close is close? Is my $12 buy order close enough?
Bazil

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:09:24 PM

I heard you will be able to login an hour before trading begins, to place and/or remove orders on the books.

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
BitcoinPorn

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 03:11:03 PM

I'm the guy who (coming soon - check back later for updates - your ad here)

netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:14:18 PM

EDIT: The above was confirmed on IRC (essentially):

<Ooofo> magicaltux, can you enlighten us on how opening orders will be processed? I assume there will be a queue created with orders processed by time of submission and it'll almost instantly go from 17.51 to whatever the price is at which no trades can be matched.
<MagicalTux> Ooofo: yep, queue

How does that actually work? Is the first ASK matched against the first BID in a FIFO queue, or averaged and settled, or what's the algorithm for an enormous queue batch process? Is 'fair' an NP-complete problem?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
RchGrav (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:49:27 PM

I asked this question in another thread. Unfortunately I received two contradicting responses that referenced the same source! The source was the The Bitcoin Show interview with Mt Gox. Skip to minute 38:00 where Mt Gox is asked if the order book would be cleared out. I've listened a few times, but Mark's accent is difficult for me to process. It sounds like he says:
  • Yes, your orders will still be there (if they are close(?) to Bitcoin -- not sure what that means), and
  • you will have an option to clear your orders when your account reclamation is approved

Edit: Here's my attempt at transcribing the dialogue:

OOTV: When you reopen, will the order book be empty? Will all the orders be cancelled?
Adam (repeating the question for Mark): If you had an open order before the attack will you still have an open order?
Mark: Yeah, if you had an open order you will still have an open order if its still close enough to Bitcoin. Unless when you claim you will have an option to cancel all the open orders, too.

It sounds like Mark is saying that limit orders close to the last price of Bitcoin (17.51) will be restored -- which would explain how the price would be restored. But how close is close? Is my $12 buy order close enough?

See.. this is the EXACT reason I keep asking this question... I have a standing order to buy BTC @ $15 each.. and that order would essentially wipe out all of my buying power... and quite honestly would be a TERRIBLE TRADING DECISION.

That order does not represent my intentions at this point.. and was placed based upon market conditions PRIOR to the attack on the system...

I just don't see how 60 minutes is enough time for users of their system to log on and adjust their standing orders.. prior to when trading resumes...

The account claim page couldn't even stay up long enough with the load of people attempting to reclaim their accounts... and crashed shortly there after.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: