Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:10:45 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I was thinking  (Read 2751 times)
hahahafr (OP)

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:24:47 AM

In 5 years, when the final banking crisis arises, and the whole banking system collapses. Having a "price" for bitcoins in USD or EUR doesn't make sense anymore. The "price" is basically infinite then. BUT the value is not, although still bigger than now.

◢◣                      ◢◣
                                     ◢████◣           ◢████◣
                               ◢████████◣◢████████◣
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████◤██████
                               ███████████◤████████
                               █████████◤██████████
                               ███████◤████████████
                               █████◤██████████████
                               █████◣                       ◢█████
                               ███████◣            ◢███████
                               █████████◣◢█████████
                               ◥████████◤◥████████◤
                                    ◥████◤            ◥████◤
                                          ◥◤                      

HYDAX
       Secure  
   Efficient
   Simple  
   Medium 
    Twitter  
    Telegram 
[/center
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 10:30:15 AM

Why would the system collapse in 5 years? Can you highlight this?

fr33d0miz3r

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:31:24 AM

It is obvious, man
hahahafr (OP)

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:33:11 AM

It is obvious, man

I'm in Bitcoin since 2012, but I just learned about fractional banking 2 weeks ago. Something's wrong, can you feel it?

◢◣                      ◢◣
                                     ◢████◣           ◢████◣
                               ◢████████◣◢████████◣
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████◤██████
                               ███████████◤████████
                               █████████◤██████████
                               ███████◤████████████
                               █████◤██████████████
                               █████◣                       ◢█████
                               ███████◣            ◢███████
                               █████████◣◢█████████
                               ◥████████◤◥████████◤
                                    ◥████◤            ◥████◤
                                          ◥◤                      

HYDAX
       Secure  
   Efficient
   Simple  
   Medium 
    Twitter  
    Telegram 
[/center
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:42:05 AM

Hell will freeze over before the banking system fails.  In the UK countries, the problem is the banks are too risk averse and not lending money to homebuyers and small businesses.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:42:34 AM

I doubt this system will last 5 more years.. but then again I probably thought the same in 2008. At some point the realization has to settle in that the endless printing of more fiat isn't working, and then what? Can they think of something else? Back to the gold standard perhaps, or maybe then bitcoin will truly show its strength and opportunities to the world.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:51:35 AM

It is in collapse right now it's just that things that are very rapid on the timescales of civilizations seem very slow to lilliputians like us and we tend not to notice things that are happening on higher time scales because we focus our attention disproportionately on events that are more recent. It's entirely natural for us to do this, it's a legit survival strategy, we have limited resources to dedicate towards thought. However useful myopathy can be from a survival standpoint it has its obvious drawbacks. The point is you have to know what to look for if you want to see it in real time. Look at the infrastructure crumbling, the renminbi strengthening dramatically against western currencies, americas failure in the "graveyard of empires" and the prices in the grocery store.

there were people who thought they were citizens of rome long after historians consider roam to have collapsed.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 10:54:18 AM

We can use price indexes like gold, silver, barrels of oil, Big Macs, whatever

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
fr33d0miz3r

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:55:52 AM

I think it's a great time for Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies to show what they can.

Something's wrong, can you feel it?

Yes, I feel it. I think in 5-10 years we will can do this without any loss:

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 12:30:43 PM

5 years? Just like that David Bowie song?

Remember, in some "developed" countries now, youth unemployment is 60% and there are riots on the street and public school children begging their friends for food at lunch time. Prostitution in Athens has increased by 150%.

I give it 2 years tops. But then, the banksters always seem to have a rabbit to pull out of their hat... Hmmph. So maybe a few more decades of this shit, if the level of acknowledgement by your average person is any indication.  Grin
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 12:45:04 PM

. but then again I probably thought the same in 2008.

That was exactly the point i was trying to make...
They will somehow make sure the global economy will not hit hyper inflation and als won't go into an deflationary downward spiral.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:08:02 PM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323336104578502791681126734.html?mod=WSJEurope_hpp_LEFTTopStories

"European banks that spent the past few years building up big stockpiles of cash at central banks have started drawing down reserves, a sign of the industry's renewed confidence and appetite for risk despite the Continent's financial crisis."

As I said, hell will freeze over before you see the banking system fail.  They came though after the enormous fuck-ups of the last 15 years and have even bigger cash reserves than ever.
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:19:52 PM

If banking system would fail, that means bank from all over the world will go into a domino effect right? And I presume there might be wars / civil wars /huge riots

Can someone detail how this might happen? It's not very clear what would happen... bank runs, riots

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:32:56 PM

If banking system would fail, that means bank from all over the world will go into a domino effect right? And I presume there might be wars / civil wars /huge riots

Can someone detail how this might happen? It's not very clear what would happen... bank runs, riots

Banks are guaranteed by governments.  So first thing you would see before the banking system fails is a whole series of governments failing.  In this context, failure means ceasing to exist.

For that to happen, we have to think in terms of extinction level events.
BitSmile

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:39:06 PM

Why would it not collapse? http://youtu.be/Osq1yxSFVG0

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 03:24:50 PM

They should have collapsed 5 years ago, but somehow banksters pull one rabbit out of the hat after another, miracle after miracle. Postponing the inevitable for a little more every time. As soon as their diminishing returns on miracle making get too diminishing it is all over.

Actually it's not really a miracle.
The remittance of debt is what keeps the system going, and as long as the extent is large enough this can go on for a long long time. If the amount is equal to the amount of compounding interest which can not be payed back even indefinitely.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:15:41 PM

They should have collapsed 5 years ago, but somehow banksters pull one rabbit out of the hat after another, miracle after miracle. Postponing the inevitable for a little more every time. As soon as their diminishing returns on miracle making get too diminishing it is all over.

Actually it's not really a miracle.
The remittance of debt is what keeps the system going, and as long as the extent is large enough this can go on for a long long time. If the amount is equal to the amount of compounding interest which can not be payed back even indefinitely.

I'd agree it can go in indefinably*, but eventually you get pissed off, and start wondering why your savings are diminishing and your investments are delisting, and you find Bitcoin. 
I think this dissolution stage with the banks will take 10 to 15 years and we will see a global reserve currency before anything collapses.

*Earth a finite Planet being the one caveat as the perpetual banking motion machine requires growth.   

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
BitSmile

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:27:04 PM

I'd agree it can go in indefinably*, but eventually you get pissed off, and start wondering why your savings are diminishing and your investments are delisting, and you find Bitcoin. 
I think this dissolution stage with the banks will take 10 to 15 years and we will see a global reserve currency before anything collapses.

*Earth a finite Planet being the one caveat as the perpetual banking motion machine requires growth.   

We are already seeing the developments in this area, China as the new superpower, Russia and China buying gold, GLD going down, but demand for physical going crazy, etcetera. China and Russia will team up and come up with a new reserve currency, backed by gold. It can take just 3 to 5 years to see this.

Schrankwand

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:35:11 PM

Why would it not collapse? http://youtu.be/Osq1yxSFVG0

Because governments and central banks all over the world will instead work together to instead devalue money. More slowly than instant, but in a hidden trail.

Pensions and all monetary investments will slowly loose their value through carefully pushed hyperinflation masked by using an indicator and creating a "shopping cart" that will readily mask this.

You will loose savings, true. Everyone will. But the system won't collapse. At worst, they will vaporate some savings and put them into other people's pockets to fix their debt and consolidate. At the moment this system is working better than ever before. It is a gold mine for every bank and investment guy in the world. It is absolute horror for the average saver with pension funds.

We are already seeing the developments in this area, China as the new superpower, Russia and China buying gold, GLD going down, but demand for physical going crazy, etcetera. China and Russia will team up and come up with a new reserve currency, backed by gold. It can take just 3 to 5 years to see this.

China and Russia. When hell freezes over. Have you lived in these countries? No way in hell are chinese going to accept any shared currency that is not perfectly under their control. And Russia accepting Chinese control over their currency? Fuck that.

This is not going to happen.
BitSmile

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:56:14 PM

Because governments and central banks all over the world will instead work together to instead devalue money. More slowly than instant, but in a hidden trail.

Pensions and all monetary investments will slowly loose their value through carefully pushed hyperinflation masked by using an indicator and creating a "shopping cart" that will readily mask this.

You will loose savings, true. Everyone will. But the system won't collapse. At worst, they will vaporate some savings and put them into other people's pockets to fix their debt and consolidate. At the moment this system is working better than ever before. It is a gold mine for every bank and investment guy in the world. It is absolute horror for the average saver with pension funds.

China and Russia. When hell freezes over. Have you lived in these countries? No way in hell are chinese going to accept any shared currency that is not perfectly under their control. And Russia accepting Chinese control over their currency? Fuck that.

This is not going to happen.
They aren't devaluing money slowly, nor in a hidden trail, it's out in the open, central banks are creating money and buying bonds at an amazing rate. If they stop, the entire system will collapse. The stock market goes down every time they ease up a little on the QE throttle, so they must continue creating more money. If they don't, it will collapse anyway, there's nowhere to go but create a new system, with gold as the reserve currency. As for China and Russia, I'm just speculating, it's the speculation forum  Grin, we'll see how it develops in the next years.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: