Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:40:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is the "maker" and who is the "taker" in the context of an online exchange?  (Read 472 times)
margana (OP)

Activity: 153
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 11:47:19 AM

Abucoins, for example, advertises 0.00% fee for "maker" and 0.10% for "taker".  Who is the "maker" and who is the "taker" in the context of some typical example trades?

Is this the correct answer:

In this context, I looks like "maker" means that you place a limit order that sits on the book. If you place a market order or you place a limit order that crosses an order already on the book, you are a "taker." The "makers" are making liquidity by placing orders that are available to satisfy later market orders. The "takers" are removing liquidity by reducing the number of orders on the book that can match against any subsequent orders.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
davis196

Activity: 2954
Merit: 906

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 12:01:49 PM

Yes,this is the right answer.Why are you answering your own question?
Market makers create liquidity and market takers just withdraw their profits and lower the market liquidity.
It`s fair that the takers are charged a fee.By the way,this fee looks very low.
I`ve never heard about this Abucoins exchange.You should research more before joining new exchanges without good reputation.

sexcoyote

Activity: 276
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 12:03:54 PM

maker is who is selling coin in the market and putting to order sell order or buy order. taker is buy from market direct market prices without any order.
margana (OP)

Activity: 153
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 12:07:23 PM

Yes,this is the right answer.Why are you answering your own question?
Market makers create liquidity and market takers just withdraw their profits and lower the market liquidity.
It`s fair that the takers are charged a fee.By the way,this fee looks very low.
I`ve never heard about this Abucoins exchange.You should research more before joining new exchanges without good reputation.

I am checking if it is the correct answer.  Yes good advice.  The exchange looks very nice.  Limited coins but nice.  Worth testing with small amounts I think, why not?
streetlight

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 05:05:00 PM

maker is who is selling coin in the market and putting to order sell order or buy order. taker is buy from market direct market prices without any order.

That's correct. Just think the person selling the coin is making an order to sell it and the person buying is putting in an order to buy it.
Toden1379

Activity: 246

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 05:45:01 PM

Abucoins, for example, advertises 0.00% fee for "maker" and 0.10% for "taker".  Who is the "maker" and who is the "taker" in the context of some typical example trades?

In this context, I looks like "maker" means that you place a limit order that sits on the book. If you place a market order or you place a limit order that crosses an order already on the book, you are a "taker." The "makers" are making liquidity by placing orders that are available to satisfy later market orders. The "takers" are removing liquidity by reducing the number of orders on the book that can match against any subsequent orders.

That is spot on. So to make it even simpler, you're a "Maker" if your order is added to the book. And you're a "Taker" if your order matches one from the book and you remove it. It's always better to be a maker but for daytraders sometimes market is moving so fast you'll have to take from the book. That Abucoin exchange is very interesting. I'll monitor their progress for now as their relatively new.

EOT  ]      FIRST DECENTRALIZED GAME NETWOR      EOT  ]
ICO: JULY 25       
        READ OUR WHITEPAPER
││   REDDIT   ││   TELEGRAM   ││   TWITTER   ││   MEDIUM   ││   WEBSITE   ││
bengems

Activity: 266

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 06:02:15 AM

He who places ASK order waiting for buyers is a MAKER and he who buys directly from ASK orders without BIDDING is a TAKER

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 06:15:35 AM

He who places ASK order waiting for buyers is a MAKER and he who buys directly from ASK orders without BIDDING is a TAKER

it has nothing to do with ASK or BID. these two only show which orderbook your order belongs to the asks or the bids or in other words if you are a buyer or a seller and it has nothing to do what what OP asks.
it can be either one of these orders. you can place a "sell" or a "buy" order and be a MAKER in either case.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
RhinoTrader

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 07:51:19 AM

Thats a great explanation, I always assumed its the exchange which is the maker haa, now this makes more sense when you look at it from a liquidity point of view
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: