Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:44:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Rig Running - not showing temps?  (Read 523 times)
Convington (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 07:51:10 PM

I got my first rig up and running, running Claymore dual miner.  What I don't see is the temperature and fan speed.  They are running pretty hot and don't want to hurt anything - is it a problem if the software isn't showing fan/temp?

I'm using:

Biostar TB250-BTC Pro Motherboard
5 Saffire Nitro RX 580 8GB (have a 6th, but one riser was bad)
16GB RAM
120GB SSD
Windows 10 64-bit

Hashing is less than I thought @ about 27Mh/s per card with the ROM update linked from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiPCwJV_ryM 

Hopefully that is enough info Wink

thanks in advance.

Johny101010

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 08:12:56 PM

What happens when you press the s in the keyboard?
How hot are they running?

hagbase

Activity: 433
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 08:16:22 PM

Monitor or a Dummy Plug.  Without Monitor/Dummy Plug no Fan/Temp. in Claymore.
Convington (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 11:40:25 AM

sorry - had people over.  I let it run, it shut itself down within an hour - so obviously not a great move, but all are still working.

pressing s gives me this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0iu8ob69rnxtz3/claymore.png?dl=0

Googled monitor/dummy plug.   Now I feel like a dummy plug. 

I do have a monitor on one of them Smiley  Doesn't show temp or fan on that one either.
hagbase

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 11:48:24 AM

So is there a Monitor or HDMI Dummy Plug attached to your Mining Rig? If the answer is no than you won't see any Temp. or Fan Speed in Claymore.
And if you don't mod your Vbios you won't be able to do overclocking in windows. Linux is another story.

Convington (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 11:51:59 AM

So is there a Monitor or HDMI Dummy Plug attached to your Mining Rig? If the answer is no than you won't see any Temp. or Fan Speed in Claymore.
And if you don't mod your Vbios you won't be able to do overclocking in windows. Linux is another story.

Is the ROM update not the mod you mean?  I did that already.  Yes, there is a monitor attached to one of the GPUs -it doesn't show fan/temp either.
hagbase

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 12:17:55 PM

Try either your first GPU or your GPU in your 16x PCIe slot. For me it only works with the GPU in the 16X PCIe Slot(Asrock h81pro) and yes i'm using USBRisers.
Convington (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 12:23:03 PM

The display actually is on the 16x PCIe slot Sad
Convington (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 12:47:27 PM

Also - if you look at my image, you will notice that the hashing speed is TERRIBLE.  I'm hashing quicker with my single 1060 6GB than with any 2 of these put together Sad  Not sure what the deal is with that - I feel like I set everything up well.

**EDIT:  Ok, I changed the switches a little for EthDcrMiner64 and now at a more acceptable rate (25.6 Mh/s each).  Still no 30-31 as I expected with the BIOS mod, but better than 8-10!
coiner17

Activity: 39

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 01:43:42 PM

Covington you could try installing and running MSI afterburner, it should show temp and fan speed etc there.
ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 01:44:56 PM

Also - if you look at my image, you will notice that the hashing speed is TERRIBLE.  I'm hashing quicker with my single 1060 6GB than with any 2 of these put together Sad  Not sure what the deal is with that - I feel like I set everything up well.

**EDIT:  Ok, I changed the switches a little for EthDcrMiner64 and now at a more acceptable rate (25.6 Mh/s each).  Still no 30-31 as I expected with the BIOS mod, but better than 8-10!

how about other software like msi afterburner, for example? does it shows something? and have you downloaded and installed all updates to your windows 10?
and which driver do you use for your card - this thing is very important! also, check in bios which PCI-E GEN did you choose?  I think GEN2 is best option!

and my guess that that something is fishy here, your speed has to be higher than this!

by the way, what power supply unit you have?
Convington (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 01:56:32 PM

Thanks - got MSI AFterburner.  It's not the best interface Sad  But it works.
Convington (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 05:06:15 PM

how about other software like msi afterburner, for example? does it shows something? and have you downloaded and installed all updates to your windows 10?
and which driver do you use for your card - this thing is very important! also, check in bios which PCI-E GEN did you choose?  I think GEN2 is best option!

and my guess that that something is fishy here, your speed has to be higher than this!

by the way, what power supply unit you have?

I have the EVGA 1300W, no problem there.  I downloaded the latest windows 10, but didn't update.  Drivers I got the latest 17.7.2.  I chose GEN1 in BIOS, maybe I will switch that.  I am running 25.6 MH/s now per card.
bouldou

Activity: 403
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 05:20:36 PM

What if you plug a real monitor on your graphic card ?

As said before, if you don't have a monitor (or a fake monitor like this : https://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-fit-Headless-Display-Emulator/dp/B00FLZXGJ6) plugged in, Claymore won't show the temperature

I've had the same problem and managed to solve it with this Smiley

Good luck

Vous voulez une Lambo ? Investissez dans le YENTEN : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2706079.0
Convington (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 05:28:27 PM

I did mention above that I have one of the cards plugged into (with Riser) a monitor and not even that one is working
Convington (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 06:54:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies.  I have it working ok right now with the following:

MSI Afterburner - just monitoring temperatures and fans
Claymore Dual - about 125 Mh/s for 5 RD 580x cards

Is that an ok speed?  Maybe I'm not quite optimized even with the Bios update mentioned in the first post?

Now I'm going to try Nicehash to see what it gives me.  I'm running that also with a single card on my main PC just for fun and it is running approximately $1.20 USD / day according to it's estimated earnings.  That is on a single 1060 (no mods), so hopefully that jumps quite a bit with the 5-580's.  The only problem is that I will have to use the legacy miner (nicehash) for non-NVidia, so not 100% sure how that works yet as it has been benchmarking for the last 45 minutes and still only halfway there.
ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 10:37:03 AM

I have the EVGA 1300W, no problem there.  I downloaded the latest windows 10, but didn't update.  Drivers I got the latest 17.7.2.  I chose GEN1 in BIOS, maybe I will switch that.  I am running 25.6 MH/s now per card.

I think 25.5 Mh/s for RX580 is a little slow.
the typical figures for clocked and modded card should be  29Mh/s – 30.7 Mh/s
so you are mining 15% slower than you can mine. I'd say check your cards, something is just not right
you are loosing 15% of your daily profit.

Johny101010

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 10:48:08 PM

Thanks for all the replies.  I have it working ok right now with the following:

MSI Afterburner - just monitoring temperatures and fans
Claymore Dual - about 125 Mh/s for 5 RD 580x cards

Is that an ok speed?  Maybe I'm not quite optimized even with the Bios update mentioned in the first post?

Now I'm going to try Nicehash to see what it gives me.  I'm running that also with a single card on my main PC just for fun and it is running approximately $1.20 USD / day according to it's estimated earnings.  That is on a single 1060 (no mods), so hopefully that jumps quite a bit with the 5-580's.  The only problem is that I will have to use the legacy miner (nicehash) for non-NVidia, so not 100% sure how that works yet as it has been benchmarking for the last 45 minutes and still only halfway there.

If you are using claymore dual lower intensity with - sign. At around 15-20 you should get about 29-31 MHS.

xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2017, 11:06:14 PM

i hope before you fashed your cards with a dowloaded bios from internet you saved the original bios files !!!
If your cards hashing slow with that bios , you might flashed the wrong bios to your cards !!!
did you set windows virtual memory at least 16GB or more ?
what is your psu wattage rating ?

Please make sure the downloaded bios version number is exactly the same what you have  or had on your cards !!!
when you flashed your bios the bios version number for all 6 cards was the same on the card itself ?
i mean if your card bios file version is 113-3E366DU-S4Y , you can flash the same modded bios file back to your card with the same version number , so if the original is 113-3E366DU-S4Y , the modded one must to be 113-3E366DU-S4Y

Rom files are not interchangeable . You can flash them to another nitro , but then your hashrate will drop to lower number's or just going up and down , you might can brick your cards. The cards under full load going to crash the system , Miners genoil , claymore can crash the video driver ...

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Convington (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 11:21:40 PM

i hope before you fashed your cards with a dowloaded bios from internet you saved the original bios files !!!
If your cards hashing slow with that bios , you might flashed the wrong bios to your cards !!!
did you set windows virtual memory at least 16GB or more ?

I was pretty thorough... Even though they were all new 580's with Hynix, I saved each original bios file and have them stored on my drive.  I'm pretty sure I loaded the right one, but I think I have it listed above somewhere - it's in a Youtube vid I followed the steps of.

what is your psu wattage rating ?

I have the EVGA 1300W

Please make sure the downloaded bios version number is exactly the same what you have  or had on your cards !!!
when you flashed your bios the bios version number for all 6 cards was the same on the card itself ?
i mean if your card bios file version is 113-3E366DU-S4Y , you can flash the same modded bios file back to your card with the same version number , so if the original is 113-3E366DU-S4Y , the modded one must to be 113-3E366DU-S4Y

Rom files are not interchangeable . You can flash them to another nitro , but then your hashrate will drop to lower number's or just going up and down , you might can brick your cards. The cards under full load going to crash the system , Miners genoil , claymore can crash the video driver ...

ok... this part maybe worries me.  I loaded the same ROM onto each card (Sapphire NITRO+ 590 8GB Hynix 30MHs.rom) as mentioned from the Youtube vid.    Does that mean I should put the originals back on?  I'm confused - felt like I was following all the steps perfectly Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: