Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:14:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your thoughts on coins with BIG percentage of circulating supply over max supply  (Read 455 times)
OG_Sat0si (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 12:09:32 AM

What are your thoughts on coins with BIG percentage of circulating supply over max supply?

Example:
Verge has 81% out already  where as ripple only has  38.4% out.  WHICH ONE WOULD BE BETTER TO INVEST off of just this indicator (nothing else)

Verge
Circulating Supply
13,409,472,280 XVG
Max Supply
16,555,000,000 XVG

Ripple
Circulating Supply
38,343,841,883 XRP
Max Supply
100,000,000,000 XRP

╔═╗ ╦ ═╦═╔══╔══╗╔══╗╔══          OFFICIAL WEBSITE | TWITTER

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OG_Sat0si (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 09:49:02 AM

anyone?Huh

OG_Sat0si (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 03:47:40 AM

I am surprised no one has any thoughts on this

d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 6089

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 03:55:54 AM

In my opinion, both are very bad investments. Even 20% of "centrally locked" supply is too much.

Serious cryptocurrencies should not have any "centrally locked" supply, because the issuer team could throw them into the market in every moment and there is no way to control that. For funding reasons, I would accept 1% being locked by the currency issuers, but not more than that.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
OG_Sat0si (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 04:48:21 AM

In my opinion, both are very bad investments. Even 20% of "centrally locked" supply is too much.

Serious cryptocurrencies should not have any "centrally locked" supply, because the issuer team could throw them into the market in every moment and there is no way to control that. For funding reasons, I would accept 1% being locked by the currency issuers, but not more than that.

Interesting perspective, whats the best way to tell what the centrally locked supply is?

You have any more investing tips?  Reps for responding.

d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 6089

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 05:47:45 AM

Interesting perspective, whats the best way to tell what the centrally locked supply is?
The centrally locked supply are the coins locked by the development team that can be "issued" by them at any time, being Ripple the prime example for that behavior. The best way to calculate it is to subtract the Coinmarketcap figure of "Circulating Supply" from "Total Supply".

I have seen now that "Verge" does not have centrally locked supply. So it's not a that bad investment like I thought. Other coins with centrally locked supply are DynamicCoin and SolarCoin. Keep away!

That misunderstanding is probably due to the fact that I thought that with "Max supply" you referred to the "Total supply" (circulating + centrally locked supply). If with max supply you mean, for example, the "21 million" Bitcoins that will ever be generated, then the answer obviously is different. Here I would slightly prefer coins where already a large portion is issued, although that can also be an indication of an instamine and a No-Go (there are a couple of successful instamined coins like Dash but don't think that can be easily repeated).

You have any more investing tips?  Reps for responding.
Well, I'm not a professional trader but some indications for a "good buy" in the altcoin sector could be:

- Try to find coins where the development team does not control everything. Decentralized coins are the ones with most chances to be used in the future (most others are pumps and dumps).
- From the "centrally issued" (e.g. by ICO) coins, look if the team behind it has already delivered something (e.g. a company with some experience etc.) and be aware of legal challenges
- Keep away from "high staking" coins (Inflation Coin, Hyperstake ...) , they're disguised HYIPs/Ponzi schemes. Investing there is basically gambling.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Javi_Anibarro

Activity: 1526
Merit: 282

tBTC - https://dapp.tbtc.network/

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 05:59:49 AM

if you are talking about investment based on total circulation,
i would say pick the one who has a the biggest total circulation right now,
almost all of them were on circulation which mean only a few left,right ?
let say 84% total coins mined and 16% left,
if the demand increasing,what will happen ? the price will surging.
unlike them who has 34% total circulation,because we still have 66$ left,still have a lot of coins,even though the demand is increasing

Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 06:35:55 AM

What are your thoughts on coins with BIG percentage of circulating supply over max supply?
altcoins have no real usage but still they issue huge amount of coins. the big supply with a little to no demand means a falling price. specially in long term as miners get the huge rewards or the supply is distributed in other ways like PoS reward or ... there will always be a huge sell pressure on the market.

Example:
Verge has 81% out already  where as ripple only has  38.4% out.  WHICH ONE WOULD BE BETTER TO INVEST off of just this indicator (nothing else)
at some point it won't matter! if they can get pumped they will be pumped and it will be profitable. the question should be which one will be pumped sooner. that one will be profitable now and the other later.
i have not seen or heard about Verge much but XRP has been pumped hard recently and it seems it may not have any major pump coming its way any time soon.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Cnut237
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 08:48:03 AM

The coins that have a big percent of max supply currently in circulation are likely to go up in value, but those with a big max supply that is not yet circulating have a big chance to drop. What is important is when the unreleased coins will be circulated. Ripple I think have a lockup.

But this is one reason why bitcoin is increasing, because people know there will only be 21m and so there is not much left to mine.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: