Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:42:54 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Liberty Reserve shutdown is a boost for Bitcoin?  (Read 12659 times)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:49:00 AM

At least you have understood what people do hedge against while buying bitcoins.

Not really  Cheesy

Can you try again to explain me with your own words (I mean words you can understand the meaning)?

As long as you don't let a third party hold your bitcoin keys without having a backup in your control, bitcoins can not be seized by any government entity.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:56:02 AM

Can you try again to explain me with your own words (I mean words you can understand the meaning)?
It seems you're having hard time understanding even the simplest among simple words. Are you sure you are on the right forum?
trepper

Activity: 89
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:58:33 AM

At least you have understood what people do hedge against while buying bitcoins.

Not really  Cheesy

As long as you don't let a third party hold your bitcoin keys without having a backup in your control, bitcoins can not be seized by any government entity.

Government can't neither seize my dreams of fortune (even if I  share them with the police).

Unfortunately, it's difficult to buy something with my dreams of fortune...
becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:04:11 PM

Unfortunately, your dreams are very different from bitcoin because you can buy 130 dollars for 1 bitcoin. Anything else you don't understand?
trepper

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:58:20 PM

Unfortunately, your dreams are very different from bitcoin because you can buy 130 dollars for 1 bitcoin. Anything else you don't understand?

You mean "fortunately" I think...

Whatever, AFAIK,  I can buy 1000$ for one dream of fortune too.

Try again...
becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:05:13 PM

It is "fortunately" for all people that do have bitcoins, but it is "unfortunately" for you.
trepper

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:14:19 PM

It is "fortunately" for all people that do have bitcoins, but it is "unfortunately" for you.

Ok I see...

You know the future worth of bitcoin and you know how many bitcoin I own.

Hmmmm!
What else did your inner voices tell to you?
becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:22:55 PM

Hmmmm!
What else did your inner voices tell to you?
Hmmmm!
You seem to be very familiar with what inner voices can tell you?
bitcoinbear (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:31:02 PM

If you think $200/BTC is expensive... Then you do not know enough about both past Bitcoin history and its potential.

I don't think (and never said) it's expensive or cheap.
I've just asked if those who bought 200$/btc can really feel they've got "sound money for their retirement and health insurance".

If those people who bought at $200/btc had any sense, then they would also have bought at least as many bitcoins soon thereafter at $50/btc, thus their average cost of bitcoins would be no more than $125/btc, so they could sell right now for a profit. Even if they did not grab the dip, the price of bitcoins was under $100/btc for a while, so they could definitely have lowered their average cost by now.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:06:19 PM

Well, my apologies if I assumed you were implying that, but I didn't have many other choices, did I?

Any new bump is coming from more criminals, looking for a new safe haven.  

I understood this as follow:

LR (criminals) ---> criminals go to bitcoins ---> price go up because of criminals

Now, if you didn't really mean the first two steps, we are left with this:

?? -----> ?? ---->  price go up because of criminals.

Pretending to not understand the allure of Bitcoin, isn't really helping move this conversation forward, because I know it's not true. You know very well why criminals would come to bitcoin.  It's what bitcoin is built on.  Criminals and illegal activity.  You're trying to play the devils advocate as if somehow, Bitcoin is attractive to legitimate individuals, but it's only attractive as a commodity for those folks, like myself.  

You know that...you simply thought your statement was cute and quickly found yourself in a jam trying to explain, the unexplainable.  To prove your point, you have to argue against the very libertarian aspect of Bitcoin that you espouse.  Please stop wasting my time and go back to the kiddie table with the other ideologues.  

Take Ashley with you too.  Since I've been on this forum she has never once said anything remotely intelligent, interesting or edifying.   Roll Eyes

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
trepper

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:08:35 PM

If those people who bought at $200/btc had any sense, then they would also have bought at least as many bitcoins soon thereafter at $50/btc

Maybe, but....
If those people bought @266 according to the bullish hard math shit we read from some hero members around april, they have no money to spend until they sell @60  Grin

But they can be happy: this was not govt nor inflation who dicounted their health insurance Cheesy
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:23:55 PM

It's what bitcoin is built on.  Criminals and illegal activity.  You're trying to play the devils advocate as if somehow, Bitcoin is attractive to legitimate individuals, but it's only attractive as a commodity for those folks, like myself.

Still waiting for the punchline. Shall I immediately notify wordpress, bitspend, bitcoinstore, and foodler that BTC is only useful for criminal activity?

I've not a clue what your typical LR user was into, nor do I care, but it's pretty clear the term "criminal" is a pretty fluid concept in Amerika at this time.

Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:36:44 PM

If you think $200/BTC is expensive... Then you do not know enough about both past Bitcoin history and its potential.

I don't think (and never said) it's expensive or cheap.
I've just asked if those who bought 200$/btc can really feel they've got "sound money for their retirement and health insurance".

If those people who bought at $200/btc had any sense, then they would also have bought at least as many bitcoins soon thereafter at $50/btc, thus their average cost of bitcoins would be no more than $125/btc, so they could sell right now for a profit. Even if they did not grab the dip, the price of bitcoins was under $100/btc for a while, so they could definitely have lowered their average cost by now.

I've bought at $140, $200, $225, and then at $60, $70 and more in between that and the current price. Right after the crash I had 'lost' more than 60% of my investment, now I could sell at a profit if I wanted to. I will not ofcourse, I'm in this for the long run. Smiley

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:38:55 PM

they have no money to spend until they sell @60  Grin
And your assumption is based on what facts? Inner voices?
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:50:02 PM

It's what bitcoin is built on.  Criminals and illegal activity.  You're trying to play the devils advocate as if somehow, Bitcoin is attractive to legitimate individuals, but it's only attractive as a commodity for those folks, like myself.

Still waiting for the punchline. Shall I immediately notify wordpress, bitspend, bitcoinstore, and foodler that BTC is only useful for criminal activity?

I've not a clue what your typical LR user was into, nor do I care, but it's pretty clear the term "criminal" is a pretty fluid concept in Amerika at this time.

I never said it's only useful for criminals.  The reading skills on this forum are really pathetic.  I guess that means you'll find your punchline when you look in the mirror.   Roll Eyes

creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:59:29 PM

I never said it's only useful for criminals.  The reading skills on this forum are really pathetic.  I guess that means you'll find your punchline when you look in the mirror.   Roll Eyes

No you said...

...and now that you've been called on your ridiculous comments you're resorting to childish insults and petty blather instead of intelligent discourse. Welcome to ignore...troll.

bitcoinbear (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:26:58 PM

If those people who bought at $200/btc had any sense, then they would also have bought at least as many bitcoins soon thereafter at $50/btc

Maybe, but....
If those people bought @266 according to the bullish hard math shit we read from some hero members around april, they have no money to spend until they sell @60  Grin

If they invested all their money at once based on what some people said on an internet forum, then they deserve to have lost a bunch of money.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:54:01 PM

I never said it's only useful for criminals.  The reading skills on this forum are really pathetic.  I guess that means you'll find your punchline when you look in the mirror.   Roll Eyes

No you said...

...and now that you've been called on your ridiculous comments you're resorting to childish insults and petty blather instead of intelligent discourse. Welcome to ignore...troll.

Twisting my words doesn't make your point any more valid. We all know what Bitcoin is and so does the USG.  Doesn't mean it can't be used for legitimate commerce, it simply means that the majority of business that is Bitcoin is not legitimate. Sorry if the facts hurt your feelings.  Guess you should have thought about that while everyone was running around saying "f**k the government", and supporting any business that would deal in Bitcoin.  Legality has been irrelevant to this point and apparently remains so.  Deal with it.  You reap what you sow.

becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:55:59 PM

it simply means that the majority of business that is Bitcoin is not legitimate.
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:57:12 PM

it simply means that the majority of business that is Bitcoin is not legitimate.

Two words:  Silk Road

I like how you guys are trying to play dumb.  As you see, the USG isn't fooled either.   Roll Eyes

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: