Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 12:28:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for partner with paypal account (receiving payments)  (Read 3328 times)
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 09:22:08 PM

Paypal is not the only popular payment system. Certainly much more money is transferred by wires. by cheques, by WU etc - lots of services are bigger than Paypal.

Has this been discussed yet:  what are the security implications of checks?

In my own experience as a victim of identity theft, circa 1993, Wachovia security folks told me that a "stop payment" on a US check might go away after 180 days, implying that a criminal could cash a stopped-payment check on day 181 and possibly get money.  Is this still the case, I wonder?

It would be nice to accept US checks for bitcoins.  That is well within the reach of your average US citizen.  At major institutions there seems to be a 3-7 day holding period for deposited checks, after which it is considered cleared funds.  Could a Bitcoin service do the same, I wonder?  Presumably you would have to have humans perform check verification, over and above any automated systems in place.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 02:10:03 AM

In my own experience as a victim of identity theft, circa 1993, Wachovia security folks told me that a "stop payment" on a US check might go away after 180 days, implying that a criminal could cash a stopped-payment check on day 181 and possibly get money.  Is this still the case, I wonder?

You think that's bad? Banks in Canada can revoke checks/drafts/money orders (aka "cashiers checks") up to 8 months later. This was pointed out recently in a newspaper when a young couple had cashed a money order for the sale of a large truck.

The funds were reversed by the bank 6 months later when the bank discovered the money order was counterfeit.  Shocked
nanaimogold

Activity: 661
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 07:56:33 AM

Paypal is not the only popular payment system. Certainly much more money is transferred by wires. by cheques, by WU etc - lots of services are bigger than Paypal.

Has this been discussed yet:  what are the security implications of checks?

It would be nice to accept US checks for bitcoins.  That is well within the reach of your average US citizen.  At major institutions there seems to be a 3-7 day holding period for deposited checks, after which it is considered cleared funds.  Could a Bitcoin service do the same, I wonder?  Presumably you would have to have humans perform check verification, over and above any automated systems in place.

"Stop payment" is good for 180 days before it is dropped. Any cheque 180 days old will fail to clear as it has gone "stale dated". There is no danger.

Once a cheque has cleared the "automated clearing house" it is very rarely disputed. Both banks have to be in agreement for any action to be taken. A counterfeit is about the only time that could happen.

BTW, for those readers who are not proficient in English, I properly use quotation marks to indicate others words repeated. Try plugging the above quoted terms into a search engine for more detail on the meaning of the phrases.

Ryushin

Activity: 322
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 12, 2020, 01:41:53 PM

Paypal have make things easier for users since the beginning of this year, I'm from a african country and I can use PayPal to process or receive any payment, why are you paying someone or buying PayPal account from someone? If you don't know how to open paypal account go to YouTube you will see unlimited ways to create a fully working PayPal account

Eco_111

Activity: 210
Merit: 14

View Profile
November 13, 2020, 06:42:48 AM

Guys be very careful who you give your PayPal details for funding, some people are scammers and they are going to fund your PayPal account with ill gotten illegal money, once you helped them and send the money to them in another way they requested you can be arrested later if the fund was traced to your PayPal, don't forget that your PayPal account is linked to your Debit/Credit card  and bank details too, be wise
imstillthebest

Activity: 1638
Merit: 122

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 04:58:46 AM

I heard that paypal sometimes is used by scammers, and it is needed to wait several days for confirmation of a trasfer. So, I am ok with that, you can wait an appropriate time after each payment and only then send me my bitcoins.
its true that scammers can use paypal but its not true that paypal transfers take several day except if they detect an issue with your transaction . waiting for days is not okay but this hassel can be remove if you only use a crypto

your clients only have a paypal but worry no more because paypal started to support crypto . your clients can convert thier paypal money to crypto without the need of setting up a traditional btc wallet or buying a btc to someone else . you dont need to setup a paypal too but use your crypto wallets instead .  your also safe from chargebacks if someone will scammed you . just ask payment first before work
Apostlekin$$$

Activity: 238
Merit: 17

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 07:41:38 AM

It's damn easier today to open paypal account no matter where you are from, paypal have supports more countries since January 2020 so check that out first, I don't like the idea of looking for someone who had a paypal account, this move can't be trusted, the PayPal account owner can snitch on you or run away with the money or even the sender can be a fraudster which can land the paypal account owner in big trouble

Bitbtc8

Activity: 1148
Merit: 116

View Profile
November 17, 2020, 08:07:23 AM

Warning, if you have PayPal account don't give out to people because they can fund your account with illegal money and you will be in trouble or even get arrested, you can be accused of funding terrorists or cabals, be very careful, Paypay accounts carries your full details don't be stupid

►           ►     enVoy            Sustainably Green Trust in Trade          ◄           ◄
►           ██  WHITEPAPER       ██  TWO PAGER       ██  TOKEN DECK           ◄
[vFacebook               [vTwitter               [vTelegram               [vMedium               [vLinkedin               [vReddit
wiss19

Activity: 2128
Merit: 341

View Profile
November 19, 2020, 08:25:43 PM

Warning, if you have PayPal account don't give out to people because they can fund your account with illegal money and you will be in trouble or even get arrested, you can be accused of funding terrorists or cabals, be very careful, Paypay accounts carries your full details don't be stupid
Not only with paypal. But, it is same with every payment processing company. They all have all the details and will share them with govt agencies when they require due to any illegal activity and nowadays so many cryptocurrency exchanges and projects also have all the user's data and can leak them whenever they want.

So, do not share your account with random people and let them receive payment to your account. It can cause so many trouble to you later on. Always prevention is better than curing Smiley.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████