Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:49:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OKPay bails on Bitcoin  (Read 2703 times)
Swapster (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:51:54 PM

I guess OKPay got the word from the Fed that they should no longer do business in the Bitcoin arena.

So, how does the US get money to MtGox now that Dwolla and OKPay are no longer available? The noose is tightening.

ruggedman_dan
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:58:33 PM

I'm trying to figure out what the hell is the point of OKpay without Bitcoin.
tclo

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:01:33 PM

I guess OKPay got the word from the Fed that they should no longer do business in the Bitcoin arena.

So, how does the US get money to MtGox now that Dwolla and OKPay are no longer available? The noose is tightening.

You can use BitInstant and cash, which is perhaps the best way anyhow because completely anonymous, or close to it.   

Or of course you can get money easily into Coinbase or CampBX and transfer the BTC to Gox.
MarKusRomanus
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:08:10 PM

Anyone doing international wire transfers from mtgox to the USA?  how long do they take and what other way is there to get usd out of mtgox to the USA?
Swapster (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:09:37 PM

I think it's a gamble to move BTC from CBX to Gox because it then becomes cash at Gox once you sell, and cash can be seized.

I have mostly BTC in CBX and some cash, and I am starting to get concerned about the activity of the fed.

Legally, I don't think any of the exchanges are in full compliance... certainly not on a state by state level as far as surety bonds go.
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:48:35 PM

I don't think getting money onto Gox is the real issue. Bitinstant has always been (at least for me) a faster, better choice. Maybe even cheaper once you account for the wire transfer fee to Okpay.

The real issue is getting USD onto BTC-e now. OKPay was the method for doing so. Add that to Perfect Money not taking any new US customers, Bitinstant generally always out of BTC-e funds and the icing on the cake...Liberty Reserve JUST got added a deposit option days ago and then BOOM...LR is done.

BTC-e codes are gonna be the hottest items on the market once that Bitcoin price starts to fall soon.
gog1

Activity: 756

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:54:06 PM

does Mt Gox withdraw to OKPAY still works?  If you are not in the US, I guess you can wire money to BTCE now that option's available.  They are Russian so should be outside of US sphere of influence.
Grinny

Activity: 390
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:27:21 PM

You can wire money by SEPA to BTC-E - but the minimum amount is 1000 USD.
Withdrawing from BTC-E to OKPAY is still doing fine... only the Deposit was abandoned.

Crypto-Trade: Invest. Trade. Be free.
BTC: 16seZufhkvG92kmwjBmeknASaDEJQChmNz | LTC: LSXJFDjujJkAVgE3AmTyoU5W9yA2vzijbq
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:30:55 PM

I have a feeling we shouldn't even be exposing the last remaining ways of funding exchange accounts. I wouldn't doubt it if this forum is being monitored by an outside force or infiltrated.
btcash

Activity: 968
Merit: 515

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:54:17 PM

I don't think getting money onto Gox is the real issue. Bitinstant has always been (at least for me) a faster, better choice. Maybe even cheaper once you account for the wire transfer fee to Okpay.

The real issue is getting USD onto BTC-e now. OKPay was the method for doing so. Add that to Perfect Money not taking any new US customers, Bitinstant generally always out of BTC-e funds and the icing on the cake...Liberty Reserve JUST got added a deposit option days ago and then BOOM...LR is done.

BTC-e codes are gonna be the hottest items on the market once that Bitcoin price starts to fall soon.
Right now they have 10k and I visit BTC-E on a daily basis and the always have at least 1-5k.

I was wondering about that too. Check their merchant list, apparently they want to become a PayPal for small and shady businesses (not as shady as LR ).
biganth

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:09:41 PM

Anyone doing international wire transfers from mtgox to the USA?  how long do they take and what other way is there to get usd out of mtgox to the USA?

I've been using Bitstamp and have had a 24 hr turn around on 3 wires from BoA.

js1985

Activity: 229
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:18:15 PM

Ugh that sucks

any other way of getting bitcoins with Cashu? (except bitcoinordic and their crazy fees of course)
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:27:42 PM

Right now they have 10k and I visit BTC-E on a daily basis and the always have at least 1-5k.

I was wondering about that too. Check their merchant list, apparently they want to become a PayPal for small and shady businesses (not as shady as LR ).

Yeah the reserves at BTC-e.com show 10k, but check out bitinstant.com. No option to buy BTC-e funds. I check everyday and have been lucky enough to buy BTC-e funds once. I refresh the page literally every hour I am at the computer.

But yeah I checked their merchant list. Weird adult sites and some affiliate bullshit looks to be their livelihood. I think they will fight to get Bitcoin back in the mix as it has got to be one of, if not their biggest revenue stream.
js1985

Activity: 229
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 11:04:04 PM

Checkout their support forum 90% questions are bitcoin related
MagicBit15

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 02:28:16 AM

Is making a wire transfer from the US to OkPay plausible, or do they not accept you to transfer any money to BTC-e at all whatsoever anymore?

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 02:42:03 AM

bitpay

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 05:01:21 AM

bitpay

What about Bitpay?
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 05:41:55 AM

I was just about to ask that same question.  Cool
use it all the time. love it.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:08:54 AM

this may shed a little light to answer a bit of your questions

https://mtgox.com/pdf/20130528_okpay_statement.pdf

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
zocipro

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 09:47:42 PM

this may shed a little light to answer a bit of your questions

https://mtgox.com/pdf/20130528_okpay_statement.pdf
Better to try real answer here:
https://www.okpay.com/en/company/news/bitcoin-okpay-terms-of-use.html
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: