Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:49:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a POST?  (Read 793 times)
moxiefoxie31416 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:06:22 PM

Hello, moxiefoxie31416 here. I know i need to have 5 posts to get out of the newbie thread, but I am confused as to what a post is.  Is a POST hitting reply or starting a new topic?  If you respond, than you, and I apologize if I sound dumb.  Thanks again.

-moxiefoxie31416
Mr_Teal

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:10:10 PM

A post is a post, not a thread.
moxiefoxie31416 (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:14:05 PM

I don't quite understand you response.  To create a post, do you hit reply on an existing thread, or go to "new topic" and create a new discussion?
Chrithu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:18:50 PM

Both counts as a post. Starting a new thread is making a post as well as replying in any other thread is a post.

So to answer what I think you really want to know: No, you do not need to make five new topics. You might aswell just reply in 5 topics.

What probably keeps you longer in the newbie area than gettuing 5 posts is the requirement of being logged in for 4 hours, because the logged in time only increases while you are active. Just keeping a browser tab witrh the forum opened in the background will not help you get 4 hours of being logged in.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:20:15 PM

I don't quite understand you response.  To create a post, do you hit reply on an existing thread, or go to "new topic" and create a new discussion?

A post is:

• any thread you start (like this one)
  • any response inside of any thread anywhere
  • a wooden pole usually used for holding up a fence

BitSparts All in 1

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:21:25 PM

Post or Thread, but don't spam.

Hello, moxiefoxie31416 here. I know i need to have 5 posts to get out of the newbie thread, but I am confused as to what a post is.  Is a POST hitting reply or starting a new topic?  If you respond, than you, and I apologize if I sound dumb.  Thanks again.

-moxiefoxie31416
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:22:20 PM

when it comes to posts, a Post can be many things

A Facebook Post
A Fence Post
A PHP _POST function
A Low Post in Basketball
A High Post in Basketball
A PostMaster In The Post Office
A Post Office
then of course you have
Poast Beef
French Poast
Post Hole Diggers.

There can be many posts. But as far as your question, i'm pretty sure that a post is anything you contribute to the messageboard. Whether it be a reply or starting a new topic

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Floor

Activity: 12

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 08:23:14 PM

this is a post Tongue
moxiefoxie31416 (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:35:12 PM

Thanks for all of the replies! LOL to r3wt's clever and funny response! Grin
Mr_Teal

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:15:56 PM

I don't quite understand you response.  To create a post, do you hit reply on an existing thread, or go to "new topic" and create a new discussion?
As people have said, it's both.
bitbitcoins

Activity: 238

bitbitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 10:21:53 PM

easy now Smiley

KhronX

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:22:33 PM

... And here's yet another example of a post  Grin
addictivegaming

Activity: 157

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 10:29:19 PM

Both counts as a post. Starting a new thread is making a post as well as replying in any other thread is a post.

So to answer what I think you really want to know: No, you do not need to make five new topics. You might aswell just reply in 5 topics.

What probably keeps you longer in the newbie area than gettuing 5 posts is the requirement of being logged in for 4 hours, because the logged in time only increases while you are active. Just keeping a browser tab witrh the forum opened in the background will not help you get 4 hours of being logged in.

So to clarify being in the forum for 4 hours actively as in, not just leaving your browser open while on the forum. Does this mean that you need to be clicking on  links or scrolling through posts for it to count as active time? I had it open for an hour while I was reading a post that was in depth. I was multi tasking and looking up a few of the things mentioned in the post elsewhere and when I came back to the forum and looked it said I had only 39 minutes so it apparently did not count my full hour +.

Is this because I was not moving? Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:34:56 PM

So to clarify being in the forum for 4 hours actively as in, not just leaving your browser open while on the forum. Does this mean that you need to be clicking on  links or scrolling through posts for it to count as active time? I had it open for an hour while I was reading a post that was in depth. I was multi tasking and looking up a few of the things mentioned in the post elsewhere and when I came back to the forum and looked it said I had only 39 minutes so it apparently did not count my full hour +.

for .01 BTC, you can get out of NewbieJail. there script will open and run your username through the forums for four hours straight clicking and replying.
http://newbiejail.org/

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Chrithu

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:40:37 PM

As I don't run the forums I do not know the technichal details. I am unsure in how far it is possible to track scrolling on the page. But what I am quite sure of is that there is some countdown (for example 5 minutes) that is restarted with each activity (again what in detail is viewed as an activity by the forum software is not known to me) and if that countdown ever is to reach zero then your logged in time is stopped to increase until you do another activity and by that restart the countdown and the logged in time tracking.

Mr_Teal

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:44:12 PM

As I don't run the forums I do not know the technichal details. I am unsure in how far it is possible to track scrolling on the page. But what I am quite sure of is that there is some countdown (for example 5 minutes) that is restarted with each activity (again what in detail is viewed as an activity by the forum software is not known to me) and if that countdown ever is to reach zero then your logged in time is stopped to increase until you do another activity and by that restart the countdown and the logged in time tracking.
So you just have to click on a link every 5 minutes for a few hours?
Chrithu

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:49:20 PM

So you just have to click on a link every 5 minutes for a few hours?

That would be a safe way. I think.

But honestly: Just use the forums. There's tons of interesting stuff here. Even in the newbie area. I seriously don't get how people have such big problems with these requirements? They are easily overcome if you just use the newbie section. Must be part of the "I want it all. And I want it now." mentality that a lot of the younger folk seems to have nower days. Besides that there are ways around these requirements if you really have pressing reasons to be accepted to the forum right away.

pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 11:14:10 PM

A post is:

• any thread you start (like this one)
  • any response inside of any thread anywhere
  • a wooden pole usually used for holding up a fence

Be honest.

The wooden pole was your first thought...   Cheesy

marvinrouge

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:12:14 AM

This.
namoom

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:19:00 AM

This is hilarious that someone found a way to make money off the newbie jail

for .01 BTC, you can get out of NewbieJail. there script will open and run your username through the forums for four hours straight clicking and replying.
http://newbiejail.org/

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: