Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:25:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone explain why it is bad to to buy Bitcoin with Credit Card?  (Read 1155 times)
synapsisxxx (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Decentralization shall be the end of the Old World

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 08:33:31 PM

I have always seen the Internet advise against it. Although I have made profit in this way.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 08:35:47 PM

You mean going into debt to buy bitcoin?
If you do, then the price might fall, then you won't have the funds to pay back the credit.

Or you pay back slowly over time, then end up paying lots of interest.  It isn't just Bitcoin that is bad to buy on credit cards, everything is bad if you don't pay it off at the end of the month.
synapsisxxx (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 08:52:18 PM

You mean going into debt to buy bitcoin?
If you do, then the price might fall, then you won't have the funds to pay back the credit.

Or you pay back slowly over time, then end up paying lots of interest.  It isn't just Bitcoin that is bad to buy on credit cards, everything is bad if you don't pay it off at the end of the month.

Yes  that is a general disadvantage when buying anything with Credit card though. Anyway, while trying to buy Bitcoins, all credit card options are either extremely sparse or overpriced. It's extremely difficult to buy with Credit, why though? Is there a economic reason to this?
shursight

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2017, 09:02:43 PM

Well, that is simple to explain, most "digital thiefs" use bitcoin for launder the money, so they steal credit cards, banks accounts, and they do all their stuff in order to buy bitcoin with that money, and once that they have the bitcoins, they make a proccess and the money is fully-laundered. That is why buying bitcoin with credit cards is so difficult, and if you find one, you are not going to be able to buy more than 0.02 every 24 hours.

++++++
+++++++   ++++++
+++++++  +++++++
++++++   +++++++
+++++  +++++++++
      ++++++++++     
+++++++  +++++++
+++++++   ++++++
++++++++  ++++++
++++++++   +++++
++++++++   +++++
+++++++

XRPNow
Ripple Price & News
XRP Price / Ripple News /
XRP Price Prediction

++     
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++

COINDOO
Latest Blockchain and Cryptocurrency News   
Bitcoin News Today

++     
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++

THECCPRESS
Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Tabloid
Blockchain News Today
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 09:07:28 PM

I have always seen the Internet advise against it. Although I have made profit in this way.
You were lucky, that the price has not fallen by the end of the repayment period...
Just imagine, that you have no funds to buy bitcoin, just a credit card, with the credit line of e.g. $1,000
You have bought 0.33 bitcoin on 1st August, (price was ~$2,900), so you paid $957 with your credit card.
To make it easier, let's say you have 1 month period, when you can pay back your credit without interest.
On 1st September, bitcoin price was $4,850, it means you had $1,600 worth bitcoin. When you have paid back your credit, the net profit was $643. (nice profit for one month investment...)
But if you have bought 0.2 bitcoin on 1st September (paid $970 by credit card), and let's assume that on 1st October the price of the bitcoin will be about ~$3,500, that means that you have to pay back the $970 credit, but your bitcoin worth only $700 the net loss is $270. You have to pay this back from your own funds, or, if you have no funds available, bank starts to calculate interest from the 1st September, and on 2nd October, your $270 net debt starts to increase because of the ~30% interest rate (p.a.) of the credit card.
joebrook

Activity: 644
Merit: 259

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 09:09:43 PM

Buying bitcoins is very hard and you will need to do a lot of verification before they can even allow you, with the taxes and charges by your credit card company, it's really not worth it in the end. You will even end up spending about 10% more than the actual price of the bitcoin.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
synapsisxxx (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 09:12:55 PM

You were lucky, that the price has not fallen by the end of the repayment period...
Just imagine, that you have no funds to buy bitcoin, just a credit card, with the credit line of e.g. $1,000
You have bought 0.33 bitcoin on 1st August, (price was ~$2,900), so you paid $957 with your credit card.
To make it easier, let's say you have 1 month period, when you can pay back your credit without interest.
On 1st September, bitcoin price was $4,850, it means you had $1,600 worth bitcoin. When you have paid back your credit, the net profit was $643. (nice profit for one month investment...)
But if you have bought 0.2 bitcoin on 1st September (paid $970 by credit card), and let's assume that on 1st October the price of the bitcoin will be about ~$3,500, that means that you have to pay back the $970 credit, but your bitcoin worth only $700 the net loss is $270. You have to pay this back from your own funds, or, if you have no funds available, bank starts to calculate interest from the 1st September, and on 2nd October, your $270 net debt starts to increase because of the ~30% interest rate (p.a.) of the credit card.

Still.. It's good long term isn't it? For now atleast when crypto is in its early years?

I mean I am salaried and I can just pay off the credit to encash a better amount a few months/year/decade later.
finthebar

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 09:15:01 PM

Are you referring to it being bad? or it being difficult?

The latter, I think has to do with the credit card chargeback system. If the credit card owner disputes the transaction there is a practically non-existent possibility of the bitcoin seller getting their BTC back.
synapsisxxx (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 09:19:35 PM

Well, that is simple to explain, most "digital thiefs" use bitcoin for launder the money, so they steal credit cards, banks accounts, and they do all their stuff in order to buy bitcoin with that money, and once that they have the bitcoins, they make a proccess and the money is fully-laundered. That is why buying bitcoin with credit cards is so difficult, and if you find one, you are not going to be able to buy more than 0.02 every 24 hours.

This I agree with. Alphabay had credit card autoshops lol.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 09:35:05 PM

Still.. It's good long term isn't it? For now atleast when crypto is in its early years?

I mean I am salaried and I can just pay off the credit to encash a better amount a few months/year/decade later.
The financial part can be OK, but from the technical point of view, you won't find a seller, who wants to sell you bitcoin (with credit card payment) on a decent price (price is the key, you will find sellers, but they will calculate some extra % on the market price, because of the risk of the possible chargebacks)
The same applies for Paypal payments, because Paypal always decides the dispute in the favour of the buyer (in connection with bitcoin), so sellers take huge risks if they accept credit cards or Paypal.
synapsisxxx (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 09:44:28 PM

The financial part can be OK, but from the technical point of view, you won't find a seller, who wants to sell you bitcoin (with credit card payment) on a decent price (price is the key, you will find sellers, but they will calculate some extra % on the market price, because of the risk of the possible chargebacks)
The same applies for Paypal payments, because Paypal always decides the dispute in the favour of the buyer (in connection with bitcoin), so sellers take huge risks if they accept credit cards or Paypal.

I can vouch for that, all credit options are extremely overpriced. Except VirWox/linden, but my credit card doesn't allow it for some reason.
valucash

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 09:52:52 PM

Buying with a credit card is a very hard option, doesn't work for me
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 09:54:01 PM

Typically it comes down either to do with interest on the credit that you take out when you use your credit card, or it has something to do with the chance of their being a refund/chargeback if someone is trying to scam you by taking the Bitcoin and the money. Not that's something that is more common with paypal and less of an issue when it comes to most credit card companies. If you have made a profit then good for you, don't overuse it and get into serious debt.
synapsisxxx (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 10:01:35 PM

Buying with a credit card is a very hard option, doesn't work for me

What kind of card have you got? Can you use PayPal?

I have a visa card and I am able to transact at almost any exchange albeit at extremely high price.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 10:03:01 PM

Yes  that is a general disadvantage when buying anything with Credit card though. Anyway, while trying to buy Bitcoins, all credit card options are either extremely sparse or overpriced. It's extremely difficult to buy with Credit, why though? Is there a economic reason to this?

bitcoins are 100% irreversible. once they're gone, they're gone. there's no way of getting them back. credit cards are often stolen or can be charged back.

bitcoin merchants who sell to credit card holders either have to be extremely diligent or put up with a significant amount of theft. i presume that's why fees are so high as they're taking a regular hit.

if i was in the bitcoin selling business there's no way in hell i'd ever accept them. 
synapsisxxx (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 10:10:25 PM

Yes  that is a general disadvantage when buying anything with Credit card though. Anyway, while trying to buy Bitcoins, all credit card options are either extremely sparse or overpriced. It's extremely difficult to buy with Credit, why though? Is there a economic reason to this?

bitcoins are 100% irreversible. once they're gone, they're gone. there's no way of getting them back. credit cards are often stolen or can be charged back.

bitcoin merchants who sell to credit card holders either have to be extremely diligent or put up with a significant amount of theft. i presume that's why fees are so high as they're taking a regular hit.

if i was in the bitcoin selling business there's no way in hell i'd ever accept them. 

Interesting, my bank or country hardly supports this chargeback option I think. I use PayPal which has the chargeback option though I have never used it to buy bitcoin.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 10:18:28 PM

Interesting, my bank or country hardly supports this chargeback option I think. I use PayPal which has the chargeback option though I have never used it to buy bitcoin.

are you sure? i guess it depends on who issued your card but i'm pretty sure it's an intrinsic feature of all visa and mastercard cards, but of course there are other credit card issuers in other parts of the world.
ChainSmoker

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 10:25:08 PM

It's because bitcoin payments are irreversible and the seller can't be sure if the credit card owner will not file chargeback.It also does not help credit card owner too because your credit card company will know what you spend your money on(in this case bitcoin) so you won't be anonymous with bitcoins.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Absentis

Activity: 129

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 10:29:25 PM

You should avoid credit cards to avoid inflected interest charging in which will decreased your possible gaining in bitcoins. If you have earnings already in bitcoin then you must pay immediately the credit cards to avoid interest charging. Why you want to use credit cards if you have alreay created a capital from bitcoins earnings?
An0nyMoose

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 10:40:26 PM

It is bad to buy Bitcoin with a credit card because credit card companies don't like Bitcoin and maybe they will block your card or something? Actually, I don't think this would happen.

Blockonomics                          ██
                         ████  ██

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄ ████  ████  ██
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ████  ████
    ▄█████▀▀         ▀▀█████▄ ██  ████
   ████▀                 ▀████   ████
  ████      ████████▄      ████ ████
 ████        ██    ██▄      ████ ██
████         ██     ██       ████
████         ██   ▄██▀       ████
████         ███████         ████
████         ██    ██▄       ████