Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 10:12:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UPS or not?  (Read 392 times)
skippylou (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:12:19 PM

Hi, I am taking a very preliminary look at bitcoin mining.  I have a linux box with four 9800gx2 GPUs that might be suitable.  I would need a big UPS or live with half a dozen power failures which will occur this summer.  With current software, what are the potential losses for operating without a UPS?  Recoverable graceful failure or catastrophic losses?  
Kaepora

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:50:46 PM

Hi, I am taking a very preliminary look at bitcoin mining.  I have a linux box with four 9800gx2 GPUs that might be suitable.  I would need a big UPS or live with half a dozen power failures which will occur this summer.  With current software, what are the potential losses for operating without a UPS?  Recoverable graceful failure or catastrophic losses?  

I would recommend that yo setup your PC to reboot after a power failure and automatically start your mining software backup at launch along with whatever other software you are using. Otherwise you would need to use the UPS on the computer & your internet modem so you don't lose connection during a power outage. As for losses it depends how long power outages last and how many hashes you get power hour on average.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:02:54 PM

Those cards are going to be so inefficient I don't know if it will be worth running them.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
skippylou (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:54:38 PM

Those cards are going to be so inefficient I don't know if it will be worth running them.

If I run it in the winter I can eliminate one of my 1500 watt space heaters so the power won't cost anything.  Heating season is only about two months here (New Mexico high desert).  Not planning on making a living with this stuff anyway.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: